Day 1

Remember God’s Promises

from the People of Remembrance reading plan

Genesis 17:1-19, Genesis 26:23-25, Genesis 35:9-15, 1 Chronicles 16:14-18, Galatians 3:29, Romans 4:20-21

BY Lindsey Jacobi

I remember vividly the season of transition after I made a right-but-hard decision to leave a familiar place with familiar people doing familiar work. I was left in the lurch of the in-between, not yet having the “next thing.” What I did have was plenty of questions, “opportunity,” time to (over)think, doubt about God’s faithfulness to provide, concerns about finances, and worry about how much of a burden I was to the people who had chosen to catch me.

Looking forward was overwhelming. And so unclear. But when I had shoved all my belongings into a storage unit for an undetermined period of time, I made sure to grab the last few years’ worth of prayer journals. I would just read and reread them, scouring them for all the evidence I could find that this wasn’t going to be the time that God left me out to dry. Because almost on a daily basis, that lie would creep in. What if this is the time He doesn’t come through? What if I made the wrong choice? What if I just flounder, never really finding the future God has for me?

Thankfully, several people in the Bible, just like Abraham, also faced this seemingly universal reality of uncertain futures. They too needed kind and consistent reminders from the past. We see in their stories how remembrance brings the past reality of who God is and what He has done to bear in the present. To let it inform how we respond, live, repent, and walk with God. Reading those old journals and remembering the Scripture that had been so pivotal in earlier seasons became part of the way I could cling to past promises that were still true. I needed to recall the specific ways I had seen God’s character play out in my life. I needed to remember so I would not forget.

Difficult seasons have a way of tempting us to forget the truth—to forget that God’s promises are still true. We question God’s loyalty when we can only see the brokenness in front of us or the uncertainty of what is to come. And it’s in those moments we need reminders like Abraham, that God has been faithful to His promises, and that will still be true in our most uncertain of days.

So, may the Lord bring to your mind what has been and remains true of Him: the universal and unique ways you have seen Him remain true to His character. And may you be reminded of this truth: He has never forgotten us.

115 thoughts on "Remember God’s Promises"

1. Katie says:

GIRL. I love that description of thinking it’ll be a certain way and then being disappointed. But his plan is so much greater than I can even fathom!

2. Mari V says:

@Adrienne, you’re so sweet! I happen to come back here to read other comments. Somebody else posted that song not long ago. I’m going to be listening to it in the morning on repeat

Praying for the funk they are in. Tomorrow’s a new day. Maybe get outside and enjoy some sun if the suns up in your area or just be outside for some fresh air.

3. Tami says:

Hi all. I’m a bit confused. Is there a reason I can’t find this study book on the app? I have a subscription but it’s not there.

4. Adrienne says:

Good evening!

Hey, where’s TINA?

RHONDA J. Had I read your comment earlier, I woulda had that song running through my head ALL DAY (not that this woulda been bad!)

And, CEE GEE, always and all ways… So good!

And, MARI V., I heard a song the other day titled “MY Jesus” by Anne Wilson and totally thought of you.

Did you notice that two chapters earlier in Gen. 15, God promised to increase Abraham’s family? (Now you and I know that he tried to take matters into his own hands after this.) I wonder if that is why in Gen. 17… God spells it out that he will have a son through Sarah? I wonder if he misunderstood so badly, that God had to be more specific? Did God think… “Oh, golly… Abraham just. doesn’t. get. it.”

Does He think that about me too?

Two things…
    1.) Are there app problems today? I wanted to buy the new study on the app but it’s not there.
    2.) Prayers for me, please? I am just in a funk and kinda blue. I don’t know why. Thank you, sweet sisters.

5. Linda in NC says:

Thank you so much for your prayers for my sil. Her surgery went very well w/o complications at this point. She will remain in the hospital for 2 nights. It is such a blessing to be able to ask for prayers from sisters around the world!
    For those who are dealing with a diagnosis of dementia of any type, whether as a caregiver or patient, there is a book I highly recommend. It is “Finding Grace in the Face of Dementia” by John Dunlop, MD. It is written from a Christian perspective. It has been a great help to me and my family.
    Good night she’s.

6. Amara says:

How much more rich of an experience this is to know that there are SHEs connected near and far though the Word this Lent season!

7. Alayna says:

Today’s devotional really hit home today. I’ve been in this difficult season for a very long time. It has gotten worse not better, I just need to keep remembering that God has not forgotten me.

8. Teresa Donley says:

I was amazed as I started to read today’s Scriptures and devotion. With a diagnosis of Alzheimer’s, “remember” has become a very important word to me. In the Introduction in the book, I read, “And when our reality feels unstable and uncertain, there is a solid, steadying weight in remembering that helps us see Him more clearly in the present.” Many days, my reality feels unstable, uncertain and fearful. It’s when I cry out to God with all my anguish that He reminds me that He has always been with me, is with me now, and will be to the end – no matter what happens before I reach that end. I pray that He gives me the miracle of always being able to remember Him, my salvation through Jesus, and that He is always with me. I pray I’m always able to remember my daughter and grandchildren and the rest of my family. I pray, too, that He will take away the fear of what is to come, and help me to make the most of every day as it comes.

I’m praying for all of your requests, including:
    JASMINE H – that your husband’s interview on Wednesday will go well, and that God will lead him to the job God is preparing for him.
    RHONDA J – for your friend with liver failure and all who are ministering to her during this time
    C – for your marriage and the financial difficulties you are experiencing
    GRAMSIESUE – for God’s continuing strength that enables you to care for Steve, and for Steve’s continued healing
    EVERS – for your husband to find the job God is preparing for him
    KATYA and AMY STOCKWELL – that God will ease your fear of what is to come

Love and prayers for all my SRT sisters.