God’s Presence Strengthens Us

from the The Presence of God reading plan

Deuteronomy 31:6-8, Psalm 46:1-11, Zephaniah 3:17, Isaiah 40:9-11, Isaiah 41:10, 2 Timothy 4:16-18

BY Patti Sauls

We can find courage and hope to endure all things because the powerful presence of our God goes with us.

It was over twenty years ago, but it feels like yesterday. Like clockwork, our first baby, Abby, would get fussy right before bedtime. Cue the footie pajamas, last bottle, diaper change, beloved blankie and a snuggle. I’d hold her close as she wriggled in my arms fighting sleep. Quietly, I would sing the familiar lullaby that my dad had sung over me: “Night, night, oh Abby. Sleepy tight, oh Abby. Close your eyes, oh Abby. Night, night, night, night… night.” Soon, her eyelids would get heavy, her breath would slow and deepen, and her little body would relax as she nestled into my chest.

I wish I could wrap my head and heart around the fact that God holds me tight, that He loves me like this. Do we believe that God embraces us in our weariness? The prophet Isaiah insists that God is not remote or withdrawn. On the contrary, we need not fear because God is with us, He strengthens us, and He upholds us (Isaiah 41:10). Do we believe that God enjoys us and sings over us? Zephaniah 3:17 tells us, “The LORD your God is among you, a warrior who saves. He will rejoice over you with gladness. He will be quiet in his love. He will delight in you with singing.”

God is a warrior who saves. He fights for me and gives me refuge, strength, and help in times of trouble (Psalm 46:1). But it’s not only His powerful presence that gives me strength. His tender presence strengthens me too. Our God is a lullaby-singing warrior who loves His children.

Isaiah reveals God’s deep tenderness by comparing Him to a shepherd: “He protects his flock like a shepherd; he gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them in the fold of his garment. He gently leads those that are nursing” (Isaiah 40:11). Our minds can’t fully grasp the reality of Almighty God stooping down to care for us in the messy, nitty-gritty of our daily lives. Yet we’re invited to see Him doting on us like a shepherd tending his needy sheep. This is how God has chosen to reveal Himself to us. He doesn’t merely tolerate us; He delights in us. He gathers us up in His arms, carries us close, and sings to us.

Yes, God is a fierce warrior fighting for His people and a singing warrior who delights in us and quiets us with His love. In this we find a nourishing strength that satisfies our souls. We can rest in His arms, close our eyes, and slow our breath as He sings over us. Instead of suffering our own pounding hearts, we can lean in and hear His steady heartbeat. It beats steadily with His love for us.

87 thoughts on "God’s Presence Strengthens Us"

1. Candice Sihite says:

When you go through dry seasons of our faith often it’s the simple truths presented in a new way that connects with your soul. For me, it was the simple imagery of a Father rocking his daughter to sleep love abounding for her deeply. The picture of joy being painted that when he looks at me it’s love that shines through.

Personally, I struggle sometimes when my faith is shadowed by doubt that I’ve fallen away or am disappointing him in some aspect… but to be told that when he looks at me it’s not judgement at how far I’ve strayed but joy that I’m trying to get back up. Makes all the difference. Thank you SRT team for these devotionals that are blessing so many lives. Much love.

2. Monica Croonquist says:

So beautiful!

3. Aiyana Berryhill says:

I love the reminder that God is a PRESENT help. Also that our problems and life isn’t simply a mess but He delights in helping and caring for us so we don’t have to feel needy/ be ashamed to throw our cares upon Him.

4. Caitlin Vansteel says:

Emmanuel: God with us. God is my refuge. I can quiet the thoughts, the shouts, the what if’s and rest listening to my Gods heartbeat and know I am safe and cared for.

5. Danielle NicoleWilkins says:

My days in 2020 have been so up and down. There are days full of laughter, some full of tears, numbness, and confusion. But I am so grateful for the presence of Jesus that strengthens us in our weary places. And because God is within me I won’t be toppled, even when the things around me topple and tremble.

6. Anneliese Peterson says:

We named our youngest daughter Attalee which means “God is my refuge”. It is my favorite attribute for God. He is our safe place. When we are weary, he is a safe place rest. When we are angry, he is a safe place to share. When we are joyful, he is a safe place to express our joy and he never gets tired of hearing us.

7. Dezarae Dorsey says:

This is a beautiful picture of God’s love for us, but it is definitely hard to grasp. I say all the time how I wish I could be a baby again, having all of my needs supplied and being comforted after every booboo or bad day. Today’s devotional tells me I am still very much a little baby to God who gladly supplies my needs and comforts me. I just need to accept it and remember it.

8. Sierra Murphy says:

The biggest scripture that stood out to me with second Timothy. There are many times when we all feel alone or that we have nobody because they have deserted us. Whether it be because of our belief in Christ or situations in life. But in that scripture and he talks about people deserting him but that he wasn’t alone because God came up alongside of him he not only stood with him but he also gave him the strength and the encouragement he needed to do what God called him to do which was preach the good news. Such a loud reminder even for myself and those lonely times to know that I am never truly alone. But I have a God loves me And who stands right beside me.