Our Savior Restores

Open Your Bible

John 21:1-19, 2 Peter 1:3-15

I get hungry every time I read the Gospels. So much eating! So much cooking and drinking—the clanking of plates and the clinking of cups veritably rings off the pages! Remember when Jesus departed from the disciples to face the cross? He did so with a parting meal. When He came to them again, resurrected, He served them breakfast on the beach. It’s hard to imagine literally anything better than breakfast on the beach—two of the best things in life all at once.

At other meals, both metaphorically and with real bread, Jesus is continually feeding His sheep, because He is the Good Shepherd. He reminds us that He is the bread of life and no other food will ultimately satisfy. And when He feeds us, He is teaching us what the kingdom of heaven looks like.

His kingdom is not of this world, and man does not live by bread alone. But Christ is also the Christ of feasts. He feeds every part of us, body and soul. And when He asks Peter, “Do you love me?” He follows with this: “Feed my sheep” (John 21:17).

He asks us the same question: “Do you love me?” If so, then you also will have a heart for the flock. Others will know we are His disciples in this way, that we love one another, we feed one another, and we share with one another the true and living bread of life—as well as the bread broken together at our own dining room tables.

The beckoning call of the kingdom says, “Come, everyone who is thirsty, come to the water; and you without silver, come, buy, and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without silver and without cost!” (Isaiah 55:1). The beckoning call of Christ is this: “Come and have breakfast” (John 21:12). Both are invitations to come to Him and to His table.

Robert Farrar Capon, writer and cook, understood this. In his book, The Supper of the Lamb, he says:

“To be sure, food keeps us alive, but that is only its smallest and most temporary work. Its eternal purpose is to furnish our sensibilities against the day when we shall sit down at the heavenly banquet and see how gracious the Lord is. Nourishment is necessary only for a while; what we shall need forever is taste.”

Since the very beginning, God has fed us, calling us to feed from Christ, from the tree of life, rather than lean upon our own understanding or depend upon the bread of Egypt (Genesis 2–3; Exodus 16:3–8). He is using food to give us a taste for the eternal. He is using food to teach us that He is good and faithful. He is using food to teach us to feed one another. At every turn, we are called to “taste and see that the LORD is good” (Psalm 34:8).

(45) Comments
[x]

45 thoughts on "Our Savior Restores"

1. Angie M. says:

ANGIE, you were wondering about the list of spiritual qualities in 2 Peter— whether they were sequential or come in a lump. I recently finished a book that talked about this passage. You may find it helpful. It is called “Hidden in Plain Sight” by Mark Buchanan.

2. Angie says:

Ramblings:

Peter jumped out of the boat and swam to Jesus…at least he thought to grab his outer covering,
    but, he left all the fish.
    In some ways I like that – Jesus was the only thing that mattered.
    I also noticed that the others brought the fish to shore and Jesus, good with that, told them to bring some and they would eat them.

I want to jump into the water immediately for Jesus,
    but,… I am always thankful, if I do, for the people who have bring in the catch.
    I can sometimes get caught up in the impulse,
    how thankful I am for those who maintain a level head.
    Sometimes the impulse is right –
    other times taking care of the practical is Jesus’ calling.
    I love that also,… it isn’t always either/or-
    it is…LISTEN and let Me lead you.

Then, they eat breakfast with Jesus.
    While eating He asks Peter 3 times of his love.
    One time for each of Peter’s denials.
    Peter affirmed that his love was true and Jesus response was…
    follow my calling, do this…
    And, by the way, it won’t always be easy but,
    when you are old, your death will glorify God.
    So, if I am Peter, I get breakfast with my Lord (on the beach!)
    an opportunity to speak the words my heart longs for Him to understand…
    “Lord, YOU KNOW that I love You,”
    and also the promise that it won’t be easy but,
    that I will hit the mark – I will glorify God with my life,
    even unto the end.

And finally, because I am such a; tell me so I can obey person…
    I love the list:
    Make every effort to
    supplement faith with goodness,
    goodness with knowledge,
    knowledge with self-control,
    self-control with endurance,
    endurance with godliness,
    godliness with brotherly affection
    and brotherly affection with love.
    I have spent concentrated time trying to “digest” the goodness of the above recipe
    How does one move to the other?
    Are they sequential or all-inclusive, or both?
    How do they look when applied?
    I pray they would be tattooed on my heart, mind, and life.
    Lived out – for the glory of God.
    And Peter affirms that is right –
    we need reminding,
    we need to establish these truths in our tent-lives

We are so blessed ladies.
    So blessed.

1. Ashlee Karasch says:

So good! I think this list leads into each one. As we live out our faith, it produces goodness and moves into more knowledge. As we gain knowledge, we begin to learn self control and as we learn the discipline of self control we build endurance to face the hard things. So on and so forth.

3. Shawn Parks says:

I am currently struggling with food. Coming off a week where I was on a completely different schedule, my food choices were unhealthy and over-portioned—I ate too much of the wrong stuff. I try to fill myself with what seems like it will satisfy me in the moment: a cupcake, potato chips, chocolate. But I neglect what I need that will satisfy the nutritious needs of my body. I do the same thing in my spiritual life. I seek satisfaction in activities that are not nourishing to my soul instead of praying, studying, helping out a neighbor. I know that when I change the channel on my car radio from pop music to Christian music, my soul absorbs the richness of who He is and what He has done for me. I know that I am strengthened when close my mouth from complaining and opening it to pray. I know that my spirit is able to fight off soul-sickness when I close my mindless game on my ipad and open the new app that helps me memorize scripture. Lord, help me to make the choices that I know will truly satisfy my needs both physically and spiritually. Amen.

1. Jasmine August says:

What app is this? I’ve always found it hard to memorize scripture

1. Nancy Stinson says:

I have used two apps… One is called “Verses”; the other “Bible Memory: Remember Me”. If you go to the App Store and search for Scripture Memory, you will see several.

2. Veronica Aufill says:

Beautifully stated!

3. Carrie Beth says:

Shawn, this is beautifully written. I share in your struggle. This is a great reminder of seeking what will truly satisfy.

4. Shawn Parks says:

Jasmine, it is Verses. I work on a few verses each evening. I am working on Psalm 73.

4. Kristen Marino says:

I agree with all of you. We must be in God’s Word everyday. I also read the First 5 app Bible study by Proverbs 31 Ministry. We are studying Psalms now. Another thing I recently heard was great advice. A group was trying to decide what book to read next for their Bible study. Someone said to just read the Bible. I know there are plans out there. You can read a chapter from the Old Testament, the New, and a Psalm and Proverb each day. I say what ever works. Pick a book in the Bible or start at the beginning or the Gospels or pray and see where God leads. Any way Iscariot a chance to get more of His Life giving Word. On another note, would you all please pray for our church plant. The name is The Fold for the Shepherd’s Fold. The purpose is to shepherd the people of the community by teaching them God’s Word, loving people, bringing tangible help, and most importantly leading them to Jesus and glorifying Him. It’s all about Him! Thank You!

1. Tori Espinosa says:

Praying for your church plant Kristen!

5. Churchmouse says:

“Taste and see…” What an invitation. Savor. Linger long over the Bread of Life. Meditate on every morsel. It is nourishment for soul and spirit. Be strengthened and satisfied. We are not invited to partake of fast food but to recline at a banquet feast. Savor. Savor the sweetness. Daily lift a cup and toast the banquet Host. Thank Him for the invitation.

1. Cathy Simpkins says:

I love your word pictures, Churchmouse, but especially to “daily lift a cup and toast the banquet Host”. Such a beautiful image! Thank you.

2. Sharon W says:

Excellent idea. Thanks Churchmouse❣️

3. Lauren Williams says:

I love this! Yes, fast food does not sustain us.. just as the things of this world can not spiritually sustain us.. only The Holy Trinity can sustain us for this long journey of life

6. Tracy Hutchinson says:

I have always found it interesting that there are so many teachings that revolve around food in the Bible. Jesus said many times that he was the bread of life. This fascinates me because I have a life long struggle with food and it is mostly a negative one. But it is never a negative experience with Jesus. He uses food as a way to love people and remind them how essential he is to their daily lives. Maybe there is a lesson to be learned there for me and others who struggle with food issues.

On a side note, I am asking for prayers from you ladies if you would lift up my husband in prayer this week. To make a very long story short, he has a very important job interview on Friday that could change the trajectory (in a good way) of our lives. Thank you.

1. Natasha R says:

I’m praying for your husband, Tracy.

7. Tricia Cavanaugh says:

Great thought Carmela.
    I know I can tell when I have not been in the Word enough. I do start to feel weak, and not strong in the Lord. I was just telling the Lord this morning that I am sorry I am not in His Word enough, talking to Him and learning more about Him. Then, this morning’s devotion just hit it home even more. I know I need more than just this SRT devotion. If anyone has suggestions as to how I can get into His Word more and learn more from Him please share.
    Have a blessed day.

1. Kimberly L. says:

Hi Tricia…I am working on this very thing, as well. I have just discovered Jen Wilkin. I am doing her “God of Creation” Bible study. She is a huge proponent of Bible literacy and speaks about the fact that many Christians know very little about the Bible, even after many years of church attendance and Bible studies. I am starting her book “Women in the Word” that details her method for really digging in and learning God’s word. You might want to check it out. Hope that helps!

2. Christina Fowlkes says:

If you have a bible app that has a scripture of the day feature, start reading the whole chapter of that scripture and take notes. Look up different versions of the chapter, look up the Greek and Hebrew translations, or read in a study bible to get more insight. I’ve been trying to do the same, become more of a student of God’s Word.

3. Lisa Macdonald says:

Do you have a few ladies you could do a bible study with- the accountability is a great way to keep you focussed and it’s such a joy to share the word together! We just did Proven by Jennie Allen which was wonderful – or a favorite I did on my own some time ago, which really helped me learn how to better study it, was Women of the Word, it made a huge difference to my confidence!

4. Saile Guzman says:

Hi Tricia. praying on a daily basis (either for a short or long period of time depending on your schedule). Also, podcasts! Look for Elevation with Steven Furtik (amazing pastor from Elevation Church), another one is Joel Osteen, and Christ Fellowship. These are the ones I listen to the most but they have tons of Christian podcasts available where you can listen to in the car or at home or wherever. God bless you!

8. Carmela Baez says:

I guess when we don’t feed our physical bodies after a while we begin to feels ourselves getting weak, our moods begin to change, our rational way thinking changes and affects the choices and moves we make. Yet sometimes it is hard to understand that our spiritual bodies also need that food for nourishment. Our spirit also feels weak when it’s not fed, our spirit suffers greatly because we aren’t strong with the words nutrients. We feed our physical more than our spiritual, no wonder one is always stronger than the other.