Joseph, Husband of Mary

Open Your Bible

Matthew 1:18-25, Matthew 2:1-23, Luke 2:41-50, Matthew 13:53-58

Start each day by reading the passages listed above. Then use the summary and reflection provided here to guide discussion around the daily reading.

Joseph was the husband of Mary and the adoptive earthly father of Jesus. Joseph appears mostly in the narratives surrounding Jesus’s birth and adolescence; the Gospels also tell us that he was the father of several other children through Mary and was a carpenter by trade.

In what ways do you connect or resonate with Joseph’s story?

(38) Comments
[x]

38 thoughts on "Joseph, Husband of Mary"

1. Nancy S says:

I agree with Theresa-Joseph wasn’t just an accessory in Jesus’ story, but chosen by God for an extremely important (& sometimes thankless) job.

2. Shelly says:

Joseph’s life reminds me of what an ordinary life looks like when an extraordinary God is trusted and followed.

3. Cheryl Blow says:

Joseph was obedient to God’s direction and you see his faithfulness to God and his family.
    God uses ordinary people for His extraordinary work.

4. Michelle Patire says:

I remember like two years ago I was reading about the first dream we see God give Joseph about Mary being pregnant by the Holy Spirit. In Matthew 1:24-25, it says that Joseph did not sleep with his wife until after the birth of Jesus. They were set apart. And I remember struggling in my singleness and God saying through these Scriptures, “Look at how the righteous Joseph waited until it was time to be intimate. It was not easy, being married and not being able to sleep with the one whom I had chosen for him. You’re not alone in your waiting and this is my example for you.”
    It brought me such joy and peace to have that comfort. I have not always been faithful to the Lord in my intimacy, so it was a good nudge to keep going in the narrow path I had committed to.

I admire Joseph and his quick obedience to the Lord. In all these situations, he is faithful to say “yes” to God after every dream. It also shows that God speaks through dreams when we need clear and precise direction. Of course, the Word is held in most high regard, but I acknowledge that God still speaks in other miraculous ways. As it says in Joel 2:28-29 – His Spirit poured out on His people enables us to have prophecy, dreams, and visions alongside and in consistency with His word.
    May we have faith that He is still working miracles today. May we never box in the mighty work of Jesus, believing He can do things beyond our understanding, but within the framework of His Word. May we have patience and grace for those who doubt, and may we trust in His leading when we struggling with our own confusion and questions.

@Donna W- God bless you and your family. May you have faith and eyes to see Him working this out in your favor- that all things work together for good for those who love Him. May you be comforted and believe He is with you all in this uncomfortable moment. God, bless them and keep them safe.

@Maria Baer- God continue to lead you in peace and show you that He continues to care for you, even when things say one thing, His peace can say another ;) thank you Lord for this great peace in Maria’s heart!!!

@Rhonda J- continue to believe God is with Brayden and works all things together for good. May this grow his faith and empathy for those also hurting. May he grow in all ways through this experience. He is with him!

5. Erica Chiarelli says:

I love seeing his obedience to God. He didn’t want to harm Mary and then once he found out she was being truthful, he did all God told him to. It says ‘immediately’..there is no hesitation. I pray I am as obedient to my Father!

6. Foster Mama says:

DONNA WOLCOTT, praying!

7. Donna Wolcott says:

Dear sisters, may I ask please for prayers for a serious family matter this morning. Thank you and God bless .

8. Searching says:

And the greatest of these is love … from what we know about Joseph, he would have been a good example to Jesus and His siblings of human love, faith and obedience. Joseph’s love for Mary along with his strength of faith in God and his character are evident in his thoughts of how to dissolve his relationship with her in a way that didn’t draw attention, also in his belief and obedience to the instructions he received from God through dreams (regarding Mary, Egypt and Galilee that I spotted).

We are again reminded of the evil one’s thirst for power and souls in Herod’s horrific massacre of the toddler boys. And also reminded that no matter the schemes concocted or destructive actions taken, God’s plan Will Not Fail.

KELLY (NEO) – good points, thank you! Joseph’s sacrifice of what he thought his life would look like – it was replaced by God with something better! There have been many comments in this study about giving up our plans for God’s plans but I had not applied that thinking to Joseph before.

MARIA BAER – thank you for reminding me of how Boaz treated Ruth and connecting it with Joseph’s kind intent toward Mary (before the dream).
    Praying for peace in your waiting.

THERESA – love how you pointed out that Joseph was chosen!

Continuing to pray for other requests.