Day 4

In His Father’s House

from the The Life of Jesus reading plan

Matthew 2:1-23, Luke 2:39-52

BY Bailey T. Hurley

Many great love songs weave in the theme: “I want to be where you are.” This posture of safety, love, comfort and content in the form of a person is a beautiful sentiment. For many of us, we have experienced a parent, a friend, a spouse or even a place that has felt like a healing balm for our souls. The physical meeting place of the church, even as a teen, has always been a favorite sanctuary of mine. Whether I was hiding in the choir pews during a middle school lock-in or practicing for the Vacation Bible School play, the church building felt like a second home to me.

But it wasn’t just the building, it was the people. The church is where my faith was nurtured and challenged because it is within the safety of people who love us where we can truly explore who God is and how God has made us to be. There were peers, mentors and Bible teachers who opened my eyes to see more of God’s love through the pages of the Bible.

Jesus also found wisdom in the house of God. As a twelve-year-old kid, He gravitated towards a council of teachers in the temple to learn and commune with them (Luke 2:46). His parents were frightened, thinking they had lost Him. Like most parents, their nature was to protect and care for their son. When they found Jesus, He said, “Why were you searching for me?”…“Didn’t you know that it was necessary for me to be in my Father’s house?” (v.49). Father’s house? But Joseph was His father. I can see why His parents were confused.

But for Jesus, His place was in His Father’s house. In the presence of God and God’s people is where Jesus read God’s Word. This experience began the next phase in Jesus’s maturation into the person we know Him to be: “Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and with people” (v.52).

Maybe we lost our safe place over the years due to circumstances outside of our control or complicated relationships. Or perhaps, we have grown cold to the beauty of being in a community of believers. The wonderful thing about Jesus is that He gave us the gift of having sanctuary whenever and wherever we are. Through the Holy Spirit, we have God in us, a sweet communion that feels like home. We don’t have to find the perfect place or person to make us feel whole because we can experience it through Jesus. God has made His home within us.

And when we have found our safety in Jesus, then we can create a safe place for others. We can sit amid friends reading God’s Word and growing in wisdom together, like Jesus did that day in the temple. Following our longing to be wherever God is, we will find our home with the Father.

85 thoughts on "In His Father’s House"

1. Alexus Cehelnik says:

❤️

2. Claire B says:

Jennifer Dugan Yes X 1000. I am very disenfranchised with ”church” for all those reasons. I am praying for the Lord’s guidance in finding the right place after being a life long (66 years) United Methodist. It makes me very sad.

3. Lauren GW says:

I echo a lot of you in asking for prayers for finding a church home. We moved about a year ago, and haven’t had much luck in finding a church. Many of the churches in our community have been participating in very hurtful things…we also really want a church with families in our life stage and kids (a lot of the churches here also have mostly elderly members. I love the wisdom and community, but also want our kids to make friends, etc). I wonder if we’re being too picky. I know no church is going to be perfect, and any church is going to go through hard times. Anyhow, we’re really missing and needing community.

4. Claire B says:

Jennifer Dugan Yes X 1000. I am very disenfranchised with”church

5. Claire B says:

♥️

6. Holly Shelton says:

So so good…prayers for all of those needing healing from hurt and that we know we have true community with Jesus.

7. J AC says:

Eeek…it posted too soon. Let’s try this again. Our deacon gave a talk about how Mary and Joseph taught Jesus many things- how to walk, talk, eat, etc. That was profound, as some days that is hard to do. I also was thinking- do you think Mary ever had a rambunctious little one that she was trying to wrangle during church? But in seriousness the sermon and today’s readings have had an impact on my view of parenting. I loved @Churchmouse’s comments. What beautiful visuals of the daily tasks that parents undertake. I also loved @Kenya’s comment about Scripture and Disney songs. That is my hope as well! Thanks for the thought-provoking community today!

8. J AC says:

Our deacon gave a sermon this weekend about Mary and how she raised (with Joseph’s help of course) Jesus and taught him all the things that parents teach their children- how to walk, talk, eat etc. That was profound to me as some days all that