Day 39

Timothy

Acts 16:1-5, 2 Timothy 1:1-5, 1 Corinthians 4:17, Philippians 2:19-24, 1 Thessalonians 3:1-6, Psalm 133:1-3

BY Bailey Gillespie

Around the age of eighteen, I remember praying for a mentor. I had no idea where to look for one, so soliciting God’s help felt like the right thing to do. Fast forward a few years, and I still hadn’t found one—at least not the formal, “let’s grab coffee every week and come with questions prepared” kind of relationship.

A few weeks after visiting a new church, a lady who always gave out hugs and smelled like flower blossoms befriended me. She led the women’s ministry and loved hosting people around her dining table for prayer, Bible study, and honest conversations about wrestling through everyday life. Often, I would linger after everyone else went home, as we kept talking or laughing or drinking tea. There was nothing weird or formal about it—just normal time spent with someone who was genuinely interested in my life and relationship with Jesus.

We all need mutually life-giving spiritual friendships, and the apostle Paul was no exception. One reason why Paul hand-picked Timothy to be his companion was because of his top-notch reputation in the community. The young man was also a third-generation believer, resulting from a lineage of not one but two God-fearing female figures—a mother and grandmother (2Timothy 1:5). Having a mother who was Jewish positioned him well for ministry in a multicultural region of both Jews and Gentiles.

I’m sure the legacy of Timothy’s faith was an advantage to being chosen as a companion, but it wasn’t enough simply for him to be familiar with Scripture (2Timothy 3:15); he needed to own his faith for himself. Later on in their partnership, Paul saw firsthand how the man had been personally transformed, and said, “I recall your sincere faith that first lived in your grandmother Lois and in your mother Eunice and now, I am convinced, is in you also” (2Timothy 1:5).

For being just one man, his influence on Christianity and the canon of Scripture is pretty astounding. Being so interconnected to Paul’s ministry, Timothy either co-wrote or co-labored with his friend during the experiences captured within Paul’s letters. Ultimately, it was Timothy’s proven, trustworthy character and unmatched integrity that led Paul to trust him enough to lead and teach in his place (Philippians 2:22). They supported and helped each other grow, just as they did for the Church. This is why Paul referred to him as his “dearly loved and faithful child in the Lord” (1Corinthians 4:17).

Timothy is a vibrant example of what it looks like to be mentored in the faith. The companionship we see modeled by these two men inspires us to seek out our own fellow sojourners in the faith, and in turn ask ourselves, Who am I investing in spiritually? Who am I allowing myself to be mentored by? How might God use my relationships for the flourishing of His Church? Spiritual mentorships don’t have to be rigid or classified as anything formal. They just have to draw us closer to Jesus and to one other.

37 thoughts on "Timothy"

1. AnnaFaith Adair says:

legacy is so important. i am so thankful for having believing parents and sisters to encourage me to do so with faith

2. Nancy Singleton says:

When our family made a move to Memphis in the early 80s, a neighbor came to welcome us with a small plate of brownies. When she realized we had 5 children she went home & made more. That was the beginning of a wonderful friendship, & we laughed about it through the years. Margaret moved to another neighborhood 6 months later, then overseas & back, & my move to MD, but our friendship survived until she went to be with the Lord a few years ago. She was my spiritual “big sister”, as I was a baby Christian when we met. We spent years doing Bible studies together (& included other new believers), & prayed each other through many challenges. I thank God for her, & look forward to seeing her someday in Heaven.
    My parents, though far from perfect, became believers in their early 50s & began praying for my brothers & me. We had the joy of shared faith the last many years of their lives, & God have me the tremendous blessing of caring for them, & singing & praying them right to Him as they each left this earth. Thank you Father, for the mentors you provide in our lives, & the joy there will be when we meet again in Your presence!

3. BestIsYetToCome says:

Hi there, although I am a faithful SRT reader I’ve never posted comments. Yesterday I lost my job and I’m asking for prayers for healing in my heart. Tomorrow we have a big celebration for my dad and I want to be filled with the spirit of joy, we have so much to be thankful for! This reading today is confirmation to mentor two of the girls on my team who were also let go yesterday. I know I have extra time to mentor them now . Please pray for God to work in our hearts and thatI would not have anxiety about the future. Even though I don’t know you all I love you!

1. Mari V says:

Praying for you right now. And you have it right! Best is yet to come! I too, am trusting that best is yet to come. Let’s fix our eyes on Jesus who already knows our outcome.

2. LuAnn Fischer says:

Abba, I ask you to make yourself visible to my sister. I thank you she’s already reaching out to her sisters. You have a beautiful way of helping us to hold both the hard and the lovely at the same time. I ask for an extra measure of grace for my sister, that you would help her to fully celebrate her father tomorrow! That even though this is a scary time for her, you’ve got a plan, you are on the move, this job loss does not take you by surprise. Hold her close, whisper in her ears things you long to tell her. Use this time to help her go deeper with you. And I also ask for your provision, that you meet all her needs during this time including the financial ones. Please provide a job for her, one that not only provides money for needs but uses her unique talents & gifts. You do what only you can do father, give beauty for ashes. In Jesus precious name – Amen

3. Jane K says:

Praying in agreement with these SRT sisters

4. Alicia Gilbert says:

I’m so sorry to hear about the loss of your job. God promises that all things, even these hard things, ultimately work for His good and glory. I’m praying for growth and that the Spirit stirs your coworkers’ hearts. I praise God for the celebration for your father, that He has blessed you with caring family, and that He placed you in your coworkers’ lives. I pray that He provides you with comfort, peace, and joy, that only He can provide, even in the midst of uncertainly. It’s a joy to get to pray for you, and I’m so glad you’re here!

5. Jen Brewer says:

Praying for you ❤️

6. Carolee M says:

Praying for you BestIsYetToCome. ❤️

7. Lynn S says:

Praying for you now. We know that He gives beauty for ashes. ❤️

4. La AnnLow says:

I remember a dear woman named Olga who befriended me when I was a new, young 20-something believer. She was so different from me and in a life apart from Christ, I never would have gotten to know her. I am grateful for her modeling her Christian life as a single mom with her little sons in those early years I don’t even know what exactly she did as we didn’t have formal Bible study or pray together, but the relationship was important to me. God knows what impact she was able to make in my new life. I look forward to seeing in her after my time on this earth

5. Cassie Kendall says:

Churchmouse- thank you so much for your beautiful comment today! As a working mom to 2 young boys, life feels so busy and out of control sometimes. It is amazing to hear testimony from other moms on how God has multiplied for you. Thank you for your prayers!

6. Blessed Beth says:

Tina thank you for the update that gives us a whole lot more time to pray and the request will remain on my board!
    This devotion was perfect for today I was just writing to a group of friends on how to keep our minds pure in thought and I closed with the importance of friends that encourage us with positive good thoughts.
    Thank you for this confirmation!
    Blessings ladies and have a wonderful day full of Godwinks!

7. Churchmouse says:

I’m grateful that Timothy’s mother and grandmother are listed as impactful women of faith in his life. How I held on to that as I was raising our daughters. As the Scripture says, there is no greater joy than to know my children walk with the Lord (3 John 1:4). But there were times in the daily raising that the goal seemed far off and the task hard. It seemed their physical care eclipsed the spiritual. But God was faithful. Hurried prayers, five minute bedtime Bible stories, moral lessons given on the go were multiplied and magnified by His grace. My efforts (what new mom ever feels like she’s doing it right?) were bathed in prayer that God would do His work in spite of me. Godly older women who were encouragers were invaluable during those days. Godly older women who had been through the trenches of early motherhood were my precious prayer partners.

Dear young mom, hang in there. Persevere. Press on. God sees and will reward you. He hears that hymn you sing as you change yet another diaper. He doesn’t expect perfection. He values your heart. Plant the seeds. He will bring the harvest. Those of us older moms and grandmothers who have been there and done that link arms with you in prayer. When you are weary, we will hold up your arms (Exodus 17: 12-14). Those of you who do not have children can be a Timothy as well. You are also called to bear children of the faith by sharing what you know and have experienced on your journey. Your testimony, your encouragement, your compliment may be exactly what someone needs to hear. Make the effort to be a Lois, a Eunice or a Timothy. There may well be a Paul in your future.

1. Dara Tysver says:

Thank you for your post this morning, Churchmouse. Today’s scripture, message from Bailey (whose writings I am really enjoying), and your post are a special answer to prayer as I contemplate serving as a “Mentor Mom” for the moms ministry at our church. ♥️

2. Jen Brewer says:

Thank you from a mom of littles ❤️❤️❤️

3. K R says:

Thank you for your encouragement and warm fuzzies! I’m tearing up ❤️

8. Tina says:

I think, and I wonder if any agree, that a mentor is one who has your interest at heart, and wants to see you grow to the potential that is within you..
    My father, who was a good christian man, pointed me in the right direction of life, and how to live it in kindness, grace and love of another..
    My mother, another ‘mentor’ in her quiet attitude, her life story, the backdrop for her teaching and encouraging.
    My grandmother, a godly woman, who, in her wisdom, rebuked in love, and gently put us on ‘the way to go’ route..
    My siblings, we each carry something worth sharing, for the purpose of growth..
    My believing cousins, who like Timothy, are third generation believers.. who have walked with me through thick and thin, guiding me on the path of Christ..
    My church family and small group, journeying with them.. even in disagreements, I grow in my walk with Jesus..because He is the centre..
    Then there is you my SRT Sisters, this journey, this right here, this friendship, this amazing gathering of like minded women, this community,
    sharing, and encouraging, and supporting, and loving, and praying for each other.. this is ‘mentoring’ at it’s best. I, am blessed, to journey with you in the Word of God and the Gospel of Jesus..
    As the old Gladys knight song goes..” If anyone should ever write my life story, for whatever reason there might be, you, YOU my SRT Sisters will be there, between each line of growth,
    friendship, wisdom, encouragement,
    grace, love, wisdom, right there in those pages..

I have and continue to grow because you guys are my Timothys..

Thank you.

All Glory and Praise to God who led me here some 7+ years ago..
    Thank you Lord. Thank you.. ❤

Just in case you missed my post yesterday evening.. Thank you all for your prayers and wise words.
    My grandsons case yesterday, was just to plead.. he will be back later in the year, but the case has been set for next April..
    Thank you again for your love and support..❤

1. Leslie Warnick says: