The Third Sunday of Advent

from the Advent 2019: A Thrill of Hope reading plan

Luke 2:8–11

BY She Reads Truth

Who can be astonished at anything, when he has once been astonished at the manger and the cross? What is there wonderful left after one has seen the Saviour? Dear reader, it may be that from the quietness and solitariness of your life, you are scarcely able to imitate the shepherds of Bethlehem, who told what they had seen and heard, but you can, at least, fill up the circle of the worshippers before the throne, by wondering at what God has done.
–Charles H. Spurgeon

In the same region, shepherds were staying out in the fields and keeping watch at night over their flock. Then an angel of the Lord stood before them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. But the angel said to them, “Don’t be afraid, for look, I proclaim to you good news of great joy that will be for all the people: Today in the city of David a Savior was born for you, who is the Messiah, the Lord.”
–Luke 2:8–11

31 thoughts on "The Third Sunday of Advent"

1. Diana Fleenor says:

I pray with all of you to be filled with the wonder and awe the shepherds experienced. Their experience touched them in a multitude of sensory senses (i.e. visual, emotional, olfactory, etc.) Though I have yet to have such a visceral encounter, the Lord Jesus told Thomas, “Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.” So I am grateful to know that this wonder can be for you and me today even though we haven’t seen Jesus face to face like the shepherds or the first disciples. That in itself is something to be in awe of!

2. Melissa Mcronney says:

Amen…powerful

3. April says:

Amen! May I always be in great awe of the miracle of Christ coming down to dwell with his people and save us from our sins.

4. Momma Mia says:

As I get dressed and ready for church services this morning, I pray Lord for you to help me see the wonder in your Christmas story and never tire or become jaded by this miracle. Help me to see the surprises that you still have in store. In Jesus Name I pray. Your will be done. Amen and Selah.

5. Terri Woolsey says:

I often wonder about the days and years following that night for the shepherds…as they waited for rescue. More waiting for the baby to grow into a man. Were any of them still alive when he started his ministry? Were they part of the crowds that followed him? Did they have to remind themselves of the wonder they experienced that night?

1. Mari V says:

Wow! I’ve never had that thought till now. I wonder too.

6. Christina Maddox says:

How amazing that the shepherd were the recipients of the good news from the Angel of the Lord. I wonder how many times I’ve missed His Presence by being so caught up in self. I want to imitate the quiet obedience of the shepherds and worship the wonder of what God does!!

7. Melody Riggs says:

I love that Spurgeon quote.

Our pastor always talks about angels being warriors, like God’s Navy SEALS. No wonder the shepherds were terrified at first sight. But then- what awe! Not just to have had angels speak to them, but then to visit the baby Savior! Nothing could compare to what they saw that night!