Day 3

The Structure of a Worshiping Life

Psalm 122:1-9

BY She Reads Truth

Scripture Reading: Psalm 122

The Christian life is a climb—a journey of constant growth, sacrifice, and trusting God for what we cannot see. As Eugene Peterson said, we are pilgrims, but we are also disciples—always moving and always learning. The Psalms of Ascent (Psalms 120-134) were sung by worshipers as they made the journey up to Jerusalem for the annual feasts. In this 3-week reading plan, we are digging into these traveling songs with the help of short summary essays and thoughtful, reflective questions for each psalm. Take your pack on your shoulder and walk with us as we pursue God together.

Psalm 122 (CSB)
A PRAYER FOR JERUSALEM
A song of ascents. Of David.

1 I rejoiced with those who said to me,
“Let us go to the house of the LORD.”
2 Our feet were standing
within your gates, Jerusalem —

3 Jerusalem, built as a city should be,
solidly united,
4 where the tribes, the LORD’s tribes, go up
to give thanks to the name of the LORD.
(This is an ordinance for Israel.)
5 There, thrones for judgment are placed,
thrones of the house of David.

6 Pray for the well-being of Jerusalem:
“May those who love you be secure;
7 may there be peace within your walls,
security within your fortresses.”
8 Because of my brothers and friends,
I will say, “May peace be in you.”
9 Because of the house of the LORD our God,
I will pursue your prosperity.

An Arriving Song
The pilgrim-disciple enters Jerusalem and blesses the Lord for the city’s beauty and for the sense that she belongs there.

This is a song about moving toward the love of God in worship, which speaks to the core truth in all of us that we are made for worship. But the focus here is not on personal worship only. This song celebrates the beauty of the rhythm of worshiping God alongside others in an ongoing way.

Reflect
1. We are all worshipers. What do you worship? To what do you give your time? In what do you place your hope?

2. This psalm calls people to worship together. What is the value of gathering with other people to worship God together? What do we gain by worshiping with others that we would not have on our own?

3. Scripture calls us to steady, regular worship—to return to the same places and meditate on the same truths over and over. What is the value of doing this?

SRT-POA-Instagram-Day3s

103 thoughts on "The Structure of a Worshiping Life"

1. Courtney says:

I have not always went to a church to worship feeling I knew I have the lord in my heart. After reading this and some of the other comments it reminds me that as one I am strong but with others I have strength. It reminds me of synergy where together our call to worship multiples within our congregation.

2. Tanya says:

Love reading everyone’s comments and get other perspectives to each question.

3. Miranda says:

I think there is a refreshing that comes from corporate worship. God’s Holy Spirit is always within us, but something about being with others in worship amplifies that. Like the difference between dozens of candles shining in the darkness verses one candle all alone. I am so thankful for my church family that have accepted me and pulled me in. Hanging out with them while worshipping God is definitely the best part of my week!

1. Beck says:

Great imagery! Thanks for sharing Miranda!

2. Sarah says:

Beautiful response

3. Susie says:

Beautiful truth, Miranda.

4. Jennifer Vaughn-Estrada says:

“I was glad when they said to me, ‘Let us go to the house of the Lord!'” At least 25 years ago, my mother made up a children’s song using this passage, so it’s always held a special significance for me. Can I ever again recapture that childlike excitement about going to church?

1. DC says:

Jennifer, what a blessing your mother must be!

5. Rhona says:

I’m a first time participant of SRT so I apologize for my late comments. Church has always been a place where I feel comforted and safe. I’m very involved in my Church and I know many people but some I don’t know as well. It definitely helps to build a relationship with those you worship with. I am currently going through a rough tIme in my life and so many people at my Church have called me and try to comfort me with kind words and hugs every time I see them. It makes going to worship so much easier knowing that at my weakest moment I have God and my Church family to lean on.

6. Kimberly says:

I struggle with this. I think I can watch the sermon at home because I don’t really speak to anyone at church anyway, other than a hello here there I know no one. My mind knows what the Bible says about this but my heart just says it doesn’t really matter because I don’t know anyone just to stand next to strangers and worship. I guess I know I need a small group to get into so I can get to know people at the church.

1. Kayla Marnach says:

Getting involved makes all the difference in the world! We just changed churches after being at the same one for twenty-two years because my husband just didn’t feel he was being fed. I was fine because I was TOTALLY involved and an important part of our small church activities. But I didn’t want to go to a different church than him, so…with many tears I went with him to a LARGE church. There was one woman I saw regularly and I determined she was going to be my friend. After a year and half, she and many others are our friends. And it’s because we became involved. Be open to who the Lord puts in your path. I know He put that one lady in my path and He will do the same for you. You are the daughter of the King.

1. Kimberly says:

I will. Thank you. I am going to reach out and ask one of those people he put in my path to coffee. That is oh so scary to do, but I know you are right. I moved to a new state recently and I don’t know anyone. I need to be brave and reach out. Thank you for encouraging me!

2. Amanda says:

My husband and I relocated to Asheville, NC just under a year ago. It took a few months before we found a church we felt led to. It, like Kayla’s, was a large church (which isn’t what we were looking for), but we felt God leading us there and it was so refreshing to see my husband reach out to people to find out about small groups for young couples! It seems like usually I am the one to take initiative when it comes to church/church involvement, but I guess God was really tugging at him. Anyway, we were connected with a small group and they have been great friends to us since (we knew like 2 people when we moved here, and they didn’t go to church). The different friendships we’ve formed out of that small group have really helped us to feel like a part of the bigger crowd at church, and it’s been helpful to have Christian friends to go through life with.

3. laurin says:

girl! I can totally relate. when my husband and little ones moved to MN about four years ago, we only knew my husband’s family. we stared going to river valley church and it immediately felt like home. after getting settled into life after the move, we longed for friendship, we longed for our kids to have other kids to play with.. but that mean putting ourselves out there. it’s scary and the devil will do everything he can to continue to keep you in your house and watching your church service there. he knows that that moment you take that step of faith out of your home and set foot into your church walls or small group that he has lost this battle and many others because God wants to use you in a real and awesome way! God has been bringing the words, “risk to be known” to me this past week. I think they’re for you too, friend. I’m still trying to fully understand what this means but I do know that I have to let go of the fear that’s holding me back.. the fear of being known and using the voice God has placed inside of me. I am praying for you, kimberly and encourage you to risk to be known even this week.

1. laurin says:

@kimberly

7. Angela says:

I know so many Christians who view regular church attendance as something they can forgo if their schedule is too full. This saddens me, because it makes it clear that we have missed the point of regular gatherings to worship. Though there will always be obstacles to overcome, seeking to draw close to God with a group of fellow believers on a consistent basis will never be time ill spent. Provided we are seeking Him with an open heart and receiving His truth when we do. We need this church. We are not meant to pursue God alone.

8. Nancy says:

Going to the same place of worship we start to feel at home. Mediating on the same truths, they become deep rooted and we begin to live them out. Gods word works in a mighty way!