Day 9

The Shield of Faith

from the The Armor of God reading plan

BY Bailey T. Hurley

The shield, a soldier’s primary defense, was made from wood and covered in linen or leather. Roman soldiers would also lock their shields together to defend themselves against their enemies as a unit. Throughout Scripture, God is referred to as a shield, and faith in Him serves as protection for us as individuals and as the people of God.

I was fourteen, sitting in a musty old chapel in the middle of the woods, when it became clear to me that Jesus Christ is the real deal. That evening, like many who attended church camps as a youth, I decided to follow Jesus. There wasn’t some life-changing sermon or an altar call, but a slow progression to trusting God with my life. I came home that week and my mom told me, “You walked in the door and there was a light glowing around you. I knew you would never be the same.” She was right. God, “being rich in mercy,” made me alive again through Jesus Christ by faith (Ephesians 2:4–10).

Yet faith is not a one-time commitment. After I entrusted my life to Jesus, I still struggled with various attacks, specifically on my identity. Being a teenage girl is hard. Bodies and social hierarchies are changing, and it was challenging to not let others steal my worth from me. I wanted to believe and trust who God said I was, but it was hard to ignore the influences around me. I needed an active faith to protect me from those attacks.

In Ephesians 6, we are called “In every situation [to] take up the shield of faith with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one” (Ephesians 6:16). Faith is a daily practice that helps us douse the doubt around us.

My battle of belief comes from a fear of doubting my value in Jesus—am I good enough for God? For you, it may be your children, your marriage, your physical health, your finances, your church, your mental health, or your beliefs that feel attacked. Any one of these things requires us to take up the shield of faith and trust in God to deliver us.

As women who believe in God we can hold tightly to this truth: “Everyone who has been born of God conquers the world. This is the victory that has conquered the world: our faith” (1John 5:4).

God will fight for us as we trust in Him and His timing. Faith is scary because it requires risk. We aren’t promised an exact time and day for relief from the enemy’s arrows. But “faith is the reality of what is hoped for, the proof of what is not seen” (Hebrews 11:1). Faith is taking the step forward, an action-oriented obedience, to trust God and believe He is “guard[ing] the steps of his faithful ones” (1Samuel 2:9).

53 thoughts on "The Shield of Faith"

1. Jennifer Loves Jesus says:

Take up the shield of faith in every situation (Eph 6:16). All-clad with God’s armor, I stand ready with the strength through Christ to take and hold the heavy shield of faith. It is light to Jesus. He helps me lift and hold it steady, shielded from the fiery darts of confusion. The attacks against me will fail. I will not panic and run. The shield of faith cannot protect me if I run away. The darts will shoot me in the back. Only standing firm, facing the enemy head on, helmet of salvation on, belt of truth on, breastplate of righteousness on, sandals of readiness for peace on, shield of faith up, sword ready with truth, a soldier of Christ, praying, resisting the devil, and he will flee. “The adversary overtakes you with more pleasure when (fleeing) than he resists you when combating, and strikes more boldly at your back than he attacks face to face” Bernard of Clairvaux. Faith conquers (John 5:14). “He guards the steps of his faithful ones…” (Ps 7:10). Faith is a gift. God gives, and when we choose to receive it we are saved, by His grace. Death to life, there is no middle ground. Active trust (faith), is displayed through obedience. Even when, or rather especially when, the fiery darts come at me. The greatest healing is salvation, given with peace, pure freedom from the chains and afflictions of this world. Abba Father, thank you for this gift of faith. Sanctify me more and more, faith to faith, day by day, trial by trial, tear by tear, victory by victory, tear by tear, joy to joy. Until… Maranatha.

2. Sharon, Jersey Girl says:

@Lehua K – I think everyone was over at the “He Reads Truth” website as the devotional for today on SRT was not up for quite some time. But it’s back now – Yeah! Hopefully tomorrow it will be up and working at the regular time.

“This is the victory that has conquered the world: our faith.” We are more than conquerors through Jesus Christ! Romans 8:37

3. PamC says:

I see the app is down again. Come on over to the website everyone.
    Wonderful writing today Bailey. Thanks.
    I know I have read 1 John 5 many times before today, but today it hit me right between the eyes…especially verse 4…”This is the victory that has conquered the world: our faith”. WOW. And it’s our belief in Jesus that gives us this. so how much more important is it that we put on those high heels or flip flops (to quote Churchmouse from yesterday) and go “conquer the world” by sharing our Jesus wherever we go.
    Hugs & love to all. Have a blessed day.

4. Lehua K. says:

Here’s the devotional today, hope it helps!

=====

5. Lehua K. says:

Where is everyone today? I’m in Hawai’i and I’m not usually 3rd to comment (it’s 6am here).. Is it still a day behind?

Here’s the scripture reading and summary in case others are having trouble with the app…

The Shield of Faith

Scripture Reading: Ephesians 6:10-20, 1 John 5:1-13, 1 Samuel 2:8-10, Psalm 7:10, Ephesians 2:1-10, Hebrews 11:1

BY BAILEY T. HURLEY

6. Lehua K. says:

Hallelujah! ❤️

7. MARTHA HIX says:

❤️ Thank you Jesus for your love for everyone one of us!

8. Susie says: