The Proclamation of Three Angels

from the Revelation reading plan

Revelation 14:1-20, Psalm 107:1-3, Hebrews 12:18-24

BY Guest Writer

The thundering voice from heaven.
The new song before God’s throne.
The proclamation of the eternal gospel across the globe.

In reading Revelation 14, we begin to hear the echoes of hope, when each mighty angel from the heavenly realms announces that the final hour of judgment has come. We’re told there will be harvests—first the reaping of ripe grain and then the gathering of clusters of grapes for the winepress, God’s wrath. And while the image of God’s wrath and judgment seems unimaginable and terrifying, it’s actually good news: Those who’ve worshiped the beast, the embodiment of evil, and carried out his vicious schemes will one day drink the wine of God’s wrath (14:9–11).

Wine is an image reverberating out from Old Testament prophets (Isaiah 51:17–23; Jeremiah 25:15–31; Habakkuk 2:16), through Psalm 75:7–8, and into the garden of Gethsemane (Matthew 26). It’s there that Jesus, knowing full well what was coming, prayed that the “cup” might be taken from Him. Then in utter and complete submission to the perfect will of His Father, He said, “Yet not as I will, but as you will,” and took in the full cup of God’s righteous wrath (v.39).

But as the redeemed, we have hope, and this is where our hope lies: with the victorious Lamb who takes away the sin of the world and rescues us from God’s coming wrath (John 1:29; 1 Thessalonians 1:10). Until that day, we are called to remain faithful and endure (Revelation 14:12). Death has not yet been dealt its final lethal blow, but in the meantime, we trust in the promise that those saints “who die in the Lord” will one day find “rest from their labors” (v.13).

Looking forward, the author of Hebrews assures us that we are headed for the heavenly Jerusalem, the city of the living God. We are headed to the welcome of thousands upon thousands of the angelic host, as well as other believers, whose names are written in heaven. It’s there that Jesus, our perfect Mediator, faithfully intercedes for us, even today (Hebrews 12:22–24).

So let those who have been redeemed from the hand of the enemy—those gathered from all the lands, east, west, north, and south—give thanks to the Lord, for He is good! (Psalm 107:1–3). Let those from every nation, tribe, language, and people join in a mighty chorus of praise for the Lamb who has overcome. And let us join as a mighty chorus, praising and worshiping “the one who made the heaven and earth” and then redeemed them for eternity (Revelation 14:7).

Elaine A. Phillips received a BA in social psychology from Cornell University, an MDiv from Biblical Theological Seminary, and an MA in Hebrew from the Institute of Holy Land Studies in Jerusalem, where she and her husband, Perry, studied and taught from 1976–79. She holds a PhD in rabbinic literature, and teaches Biblical Studies at Gordon College. She also serves as a historical geography field instructor for Jerusalem University College. She has published a commentary on Esther in The Expositor’s Bible Commentary; a devotional book, With God, Nothing Is Impossible; and, most recently, An Introduction to Reading Biblical Wisdom Texts.

43 thoughts on "The Proclamation of Three Angels"

1. Anne Jones says:

Thank you Jesus for dying to save us. He!p is to have peace and accept that we will never understand all of your Word while we’re here on earth. We will someday. I worship your goodness,love,grace,and forgivness.

2. Sue says:

Kathy and C, I have been challenged with Revelation as well, but have found that the last few days, He Reads Truth has done a nice job explaining what is going on in the Bible passage. I encourage you to check out todays He Reads Truth devotional and hopefully you will gain more understanding, as I have.

1. Jyndia Ruff says:

What a great idea!!! Thanks for the suggestion? I especially loved the one for this passage of Scripture!

2. Kendra Purnell says:

Thanks for suggesting this. I just popped over and read their content for today and think HE Reads Truth is doing a better job of explaining some of the metaphors! http://hereadstruth.com/plan/revelation/

3. Allison says:

C and Kathy, kind of feeling the same way. Confused. Not scared necessarily, but super confused. And, Kathy, I have always felt it doesn’t super matter, and is actually more harmful to get caught up in the pre/post/amillenial stuff. It just cause division and confusion. But, what we need to grip onto so very tightly here, is that our God is in control of it all. We are his daughters, forever! May He grant you each peace and clarity! Praying the Spirit in each of us can reveal what we are supposed to be getting out of this. Maybe Revelation is just too deep to do as an online study. Have a great day ladies!

4. Kelly Chataine says:

I hear you, Kathy, and have decided to be a pan-millennialist, as well. Whenever I don’t understand something or if my real-life struggle is too much, I simply keep on keeping on.

Love Always ~ Give Generously ~ Forgive Anyway ~ Encourage Everyone

1. Laurie Crary says:

Well said.

5. Kathy says:

All of this is so confusing and sometimes so disturbing. All of these different views – premillennialism, postmillennialism, amillennialism. I’ve decided that I am a pan-millennialist – I trust God and I believe that it will all “pan-out” eventually. But, in the meantime, I’m struggling with what I need to be taking away from all of this. Anybody else?

1. Linda G says:

I’m of the opinion that the Lord allows us to suffer now, so why should we escape the tribulation? With you Kathy: it will all pan out in the end. Another thought: the early church wrestled with having Revelation included as a canonical book. In fact, Eastern Orthodox churches still don’t recognize it.

2. Kristina J says:

I agree with you Kathy, it is confusing. I’m also with you on trusting God that it will all pan out in the end :) But until He comes in glory, how should I be living now? vs 12 says “Here is a call for the endurance of the saints.” That phrase has been mentioned before in previous chapters and that is my take away – to exam my life now so I can walk in a manner worthy of the Gospel; to live like He is truly coming back and not to just live for comfort and pleasures; to remember that this world is not my true home; to run the race He has set before me, to live boldly for Him and to share the Gospel with as many people as possible because He is coming.

1. Charlotte Meadows says:

❤️

3. Rebecca Walker says:

I’ve been struck by how the verses of God’s mercy are so, well, merciful. We are seen as blameless when clearly we are not. All because of Jesus’ mediation for us. Praise! Also it is confusing all the different imagery! But, have also been thinking about in our “enlightened” time we doubt the existence of Satan. Which is a pretty good strategy if you’re Satan. Convincing us of his non existence keeps us blind to his trickery and subtle weaving of evil into all of creation, relationships, and warfare. Keep alert!

6. Indiana Christina says:

Good morning, C.

I read the devotional from He Reads Truth and found it clearer. Check it out here: http://hereadstruth.com/2019/05/30/the-proclamation-of-three-angels/

I hope it helps. Hang in there, my amazingly brave friend. Revelation 21 and 22 are coming.

7. BarbaraH says:

C, it is difficult, I agree. I’ve found it helpful to read together with it, the commentary on Revelation in https://enduringword.com/bible-commentary/
    Though I can’t take it all in fully, I can do as Angie says, and “pray that God will give me WISDOM to discern what He has for me this day, and then COURAGE to live it out in my life.” It may only be one thing – such as the fact that God will have the victory over all evil – and I can rest in that.
    Praying for peace for you.

8. C says:

All of this is just super confusing I dont understand any of this. My anxiety is going a little crazy. Going to say a prayer for peace tonight

1. Sarah Smith says:

C, the take away should be that God wrath will be on those who choose the world instead of God. As believers, we have HOPE, knowing that Jesus died for us and we because we acknowledge and accept this, we don’t have to suffer Gods wrath. Jesus loves you, sister! Have hope and peace that you will be with our Heavenly Father if you love and bring Him glory!

1. Mignonne Hollis says:

Thanks so this Sarah!! It’s helps.

2. Kim SalekHull says:

Sarah…you took the words right out if my mouth. This has been so great for me to stop to remember just that. I have loved the encouragement that I have found in this book.