The Pouring Out of God’s Spirit

from the The Presence of God reading plan

Isaiah 32:14-18, Isaiah 44:3-4, Ezekiel 39:29, Joel 2:28-32, Acts 2:1-47

BY Scarlet Hiltibidal

On the day of Pentecost, God’s presence was poured out on believers.

Do you ever try to conjure up a feeling? Maybe you’re like me, prone to, ahem, an overabundance of feelings at all times. But, though the feelings you have are mighty, sometimes they aren’t the right ones. Maybe you want to feel empathetic, but you feel defensive. You want to feel loving, but you feel selfish. You long to hunger for the Word of God, but the 2020 quarantine was long, and you “accidentally” downloaded apps like, say, TikTok. Ahem.

Sometimes we want to feel the right things but pursue them the wrong way. We want to want the Spirit, right? Of course. Because, like 2 Corinthians 3:17 reminds us, “Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.” But how can we have the Spirit and feel the freedom He brings when life is so full of distractions and pains and questions that get us wanting other things we didn’t want to want in the first place? How can we be people who embody the Spirit who lives inside of us?

In Acts 2, Peter quotes what was once spoken through the prophet Joel:

And it will be in the last days, says God,
that I will pour out my Spirit on all people;
then your sons and your daughters will prophesy,
your young men will see visions,
and your old men will dream dreams (Acts 2:17; Joel 2:28).

Did you notice that it’s God who does the pouring out? It’s God who IS the Spirit. God is and God pours out. We, on the other hand, are to receive. But we’re not going to recognize what is available to us if we’re distracted, looking at Instagram or news updates more than we’re looking to God.

In Isaiah 32, we’re reminded of the glorious benefit of being filled with God’s Spirit: “The result of righteousness will be peace; the effect of righteousness will be quiet confidence forever” (v.17). We have the Spirit of God. We can be filled with the Spirit of God. We can have and experience His peace. We can live with “quiet confidence forever.” The Spirit who came upon the apostles “like that of a violent rushing wind” is available to all of us who follow Christ (Acts 2:2). We don’t have to conjure it up. We don’t have to strive forever for the feeling of Christlikeness. The Holy Spirit is being poured out. Open the Word. Obey its instruction. Focus on filling more than feeling, and remember this: the work of Jesus Christ has already made you pure. Your sins are already forgiven. You are loved. You are full of God’s power, God’s peace, God’s presence, God’s life, God’s hope. Wow.

47 thoughts on "The Pouring Out of God’s Spirit"

1. Krissy A says:

I’ve been distracted lately reading my news apps. I need to get in the Word more so I just deleted my news apps. I need the Holy Spirit to help me to focus more on God.

1. Roberta Hudson says:

So very true!

2. Bee Feltner says:

You and me, both!

2. Jennifer Anapol says:

I love that we don’t have to conjure up a feeling or strive to be filled with the Holy Spirit. We are only required to make ourselves available to God.

3. OKTexAnn says:

I have been reading SRT for a couple of years, and have been blessed numerous times. I’ve not commented. My husband and I lost our son (a year ago). He was a Christian.). We have just moved to a new town in a new state to be near our daughter and our grandchildren. Other than my daughter and family, and thanks to Covid-19, I know no one. Thank you, SRT LADIES, for being my “friends”. I eagerly meet with you daily and not only read the Scriptures and Bible Study lesson, but I read every comment and pray for you.

1. Krissy A says:

You are so sweet. I’m praying for you too.

4. Angela D says:

I loved what they said about this day on the podcast this week. God pours their Spirit on us, there’s no hustle on our part, it’s a reversal of Babel. We’re all united in Jesus. The current state of our world perhaps calls us to be wary of not trading Acts 2 for Babel. Please Jesus, help us to remain united in you. I’m sending my love to you all, sisters.

5. Stephanie Willis says:

As I read the passage in Joel this morning I noticed that the spirit is available to all. No ethnicity class religion gender etc. can keep people from accessing the Holy Spirit. God gives this gift freely to anyone who believes in him. As we pray for our broken nation we can know that everyone can receive the spirit if they believe. This is both unifying and encouraging. Let’s also pray that we can be more aware of the spirit and follow its promptings as we love our neighbors.

6. Stephanie Willis says:

I noticed this morning as I read the passage in Joel that the Spirit is available to all. Everyone who beleives can ha e access! Not ethnicity, gender, status, religion etc. Keeps you from tje access of the Holy Speirt. This is both unifying and encouraging. As we pray for our broken nation, we can pray the the Speiet would be made know and available to all. No one is too far past the rich of God’s love and salvation.

7. NanaK says:

“Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.” Cor.3:17 “Peace,” and “quiet confidence FOREVER. Is. 32:17-18
    Lord, thank you for you promises and presence in my life.
    Nancy, thank you for sharing your prayer. I’m agree with a huge AMEN!”

8. Taylor says:

What a wonderful message today! I’m so thankful for this community <3 I definitely needed to hear two things today:
    1. I can't recognize God's voice if I'm distracted by worldly things. Literally this morning as I'm working through the Scripture my phone is buzzing with texts, emails, social media notifications. I was SO distracted. As soon as I began reading the devotion I thought "ouch". But once I put my phone on silent, face down, and out of arms reach I felt much more engaged to hear what God had for me today.
    2. No striving necessary to receive the Holy Spirit. I know I'm not alone in that I can easily get trapped in trying to earn my salvation. I try so hard to be a "good Christian" but fall short regularly then beat myself up for not being "good enough" THANK YOU JESUS it's not about me. At all. Not one bit. It's about Him! All I need to do is be open to receiving the Holy Spirit and I can experience peace, quiet confidence, God's power, His presence, and His hope. Hallelujah <3