The Fourth Sunday of Advent

from the Advent 2019: A Thrill of Hope reading plan

Matthew 2:10-11

BY She Reads Truth

Let us today go down to Bethlehem, and in company with wondering shepherds and adoring Magi, let us see him who was born King of the Jews, for we by faith can claim an interest in him, and can sing, “Unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given.” Jesus is Jehovah incarnate, our Lord and our God, and yet our brother and friend; let us adore and admire.
–Charles H. Spurgeon

When they saw the star, they were overwhelmed with joy. Entering the house, they saw the child with Mary his mother, and falling to their knees, they worshiped him. Then they opened their treasures and presented him with gifts: gold, frankincense, and myrrh.
–Matthew 2:10–11

26 thoughts on "The Fourth Sunday of Advent"

1. Taylor Webb says:

I read Matthew 2:10-11 today and thinking of the treasures they carried with them in that time, I thought to my treasure and what I could offer God. Our hearts are our true treasures. I pray that I and all of us here will offer this treasure every day to the Lord, fully in awe of his wonders. That we don’t get caught in the mundane but always remember his great works of the past, of the present, and in the future.

2. Peyton Grace Potts says:

When I see what God has done or think of Him, do I immediately fall and worship? This is something that I should be doing. God’s presence should fill me with so much joy, but I think I take it for granted a lot. I should be like the shepherds and wise men who were overcome with joy and excitement at the thought of our Lord. I should be willing to drop everything just to worship the true king. He is our eternal gift and sacrifice. He is worthy of all praise!

3. Emily DeSantis says:

I loved how they offered Him gifts. May our hearts be an offering to the Lord each day, holding nothing back.

4. Mari V says:

I LOVE babies!!! What a sweet, sweet time this must of been. So precious. A mommy and her baby. Our Jesus! What a great gift and sacrifice our God gave to us. HIS only son Jesus so that you and I can live eternity with Him. That is pure love.

5. Andrea Atkinson says:

Love this advent study! It’s a perfect way to enter into 2020 continuing this wonderful habit of meditating on Gods word. Thank you!!!!
    Ps. I just finished the cross stitch. Not perfect by any means but something I will treasure this year and in the future. I hope to continue this tradition. Thank you again!

6. Diana Fleenor says:

I love the expression of joy that the wise men had which we, too, can have. When I woke this morning my physical pain was notable, but I could acknowledge this joy in my heart which comes in the celebration and worship of the Lord Jesus. What a good and generous God we serve!

7. Cathy Simpkins says:

The Magi “rejoiced exceedingly with great joy…then fell down and worshipped him”. What a beautiful picture of what my life in Christ should look like. Lord, may my life be characterized by great rejoicing and worshiping you.

8. Tracie Nall says:

From weary world wanderer to overwhelmed worshipper…only my Jesus!

1. Megan Akers says: