Day 10

The Exodus

from the Exodus reading plan

Exodus 12:29-51, Exodus 13:1-22, Genesis 50:24-25, Psalm 106:6-12, Hebrews 11:22, Hebrews 11:27-28

BY Vina Mogg

God’s people had been living as slaves in Egypt for 430 years to the day on the very night Pharoah burst into Moses’ and Aaron’s presence, urging them to leave.

“Get out,” Pharoah said. “Go”

After living as captives in Egypt in a place that was not their true home, the children of Israel grew complacent in their lifestyle of faith. Would they trust God to suddenly, urgently lead them away from a life that was known and comfortable even though it wasn’t where they were designed to live? Would that urgency of fleeing on foot in a great mob under the leadership of Moses, the one who faced the anger of Pharaoh in a house full of death, be enough to send them out into the unknown, away from safety, security, comfort?

God is a God of rescue. We may wait years for deliverance from areas we are captive: fear, hard relationships, difficult living situations, physical or spiritual poverty. Deliverance testifies to His power. “He saved them for his name’s sake, to make his power known” (Psalm 106:8).

There will be a moment where we too sense Him saying to us, “Now. Go. Get up.” There will be an opportunity to depart what has been comfortable, to exodus into a place unknown and frightening and exciting all at once.

Will we speak that truth? Help that friend? Reach out to that lonely person? Move to the new neighborhood? Stay in the current neighborhood with a renewed purpose to be the one that reflects the God that longs to be worshiped?

As Christians who have been comfortable in our setting, our surroundings, our language, are we willing to be led out into an emerging new landscape? What does this look like in all that has been familiar—our friendships, our family relationships? How will God’s urgent, insistent call to rise change how we speak in difficult conversations?

God will lead if we will go. He promises as you go, He will lead you to take courage as you walk away from what has been familiar. Out of comfort. Into the wilderness. Only there will you come to know Him and depend on Him like never before.

You were not meant to stay in captivity. You were meant to rise up and go out, in the middle of the darkness, in the middle of the chaos, into a new place of relationship with Him. Rise. Go!

47 thoughts on "The Exodus"

1. Sue says:

“You were not meant to stay in captivity. “

May I be willing to “rise up and go…into a new place of relationship with Him.”

1. Gwendolyn Vincent says:

Amen!

2. Michelle Patire says:

I read most of Psalm 106 and and am in awe of God’s kindness and determination to be known as who He is to people who stray or don’t know Him. I’ve been reflecting on God making Himself known to Egypt, plague after plague, desiring they turn and know Him. His purpose in glorifying Himself, I believe, is for all to know who He is: good, faithful, kind, fair, just, and all-powerful. He doesn’t stop trying to do this. To this day, He seeks for us to truly know Him. I am thankful to see this pursuit of love and being known.

God seeks to be known by us, just as we seek to be known by others.

3. Jennifer Loves Jesus says:

With freedom comes responsibility. Like water poured out into a container, it is useful for quenching thirst, versus being poured out on the ground where it goes where it pleases without any containment. It just soaks away into the ground. There is some good there, maybe, but not when you are thirsty. In the exodus from Egypt, the people were free, yet they were contained by rituals and statutes. God knows us. He knows our weaknesses and limitations. And He provides His strength and guidance in love. Worldly freedom looks like the water poured out onto the ground, mostly wasted. God gave freedom that brings life upon life, living water poured out for the good of many. We are His containers, carrying hope of thirst quenching water. With our freedom we choose to serve others, quenching a thirst within us asking, what is my purpose? In serving God and others, our lives become rich and joyful. Where selfish pride brings arrogance and discontent. Freedom is not free, it comes with a price. And our freedom was paid for by Jesus Christ. Thank You. Lord, let me be a good steward of Your abundant freedom. May my feet follow Your path wherever You call me, to stay or go. With patience I wait for You. All for Your glory. Selah. Maranatha. Amen.

1. Gwendolyn Vincent says:

Jennifer, love your analysis. It really gave me a better understanding❤

4. Nancy Singleton says:

Brenda that’s an interesting thought! Perhaps only the men gathered around Moses for instruction? Even then, it was approximately 600,000! The crowd must have been buzzing, passing the word on to each other. It is mind-boggling!

5. Aimee D-R says:

Forgive my doubt, reward my faith Father God. In the saving name of Jesus I pray, Amen

6. Brenda says:

I was listening to the podcast today and one thing struck me. They mentioned how many people (estimated) were exiting from Egypt and the estimate was 2.4 million people. When they mention things that need to be communicated to all those people, I just wonder how they managed to communicate among that many people. Growing up I never thought about that many people when I read this passage. I always just sort of pictured Moses standing on a rock yelling the instructions to the group.

7. Kelly (NEO) says:

Someone had commented yesterday about the Egyptian people turning to God and being safe from His judgment, well some did turn toward God. “A mixed crowd also went up with them” Ex. 12:38.

In the instructions for observing Passover, there were provisions for the alien and stranger to join the covenant and celebrate.

God always has room at His table for those who earnestly seek Him

8. laura caldwell says:

“Only there will you come to know Him and depend on Him like never before.” Arise. Go.