Day 16

The Divisions of the Levites

1 Chronicles 23:1-32, 1 Chronicles 24:1-31, 1 Chronicles 25:1-31, Romans 12:1

BY Abby Flynn

How do you worship God? I’ll be the first to admit that I often think about worship as just the songs we sing on Sundays. But today’s reading reminded me that true worship is about so much more than that. Our worship isn’t just about a church service. It’s something we’re created to do with our work, our calling, and our whole lives.

In 1 Chronicles 23, we see King David at the end of his life, passing down his rule to Solomon (1Chronicles 23:1). After years of being unsettled, David announces that the Lord has given His people rest. They would finally be able to settle and put down roots. (v.25). But with that news also came duty and responsibility.

And so David begins with the divisions of the Levites—assigning duties to every family, from working on the temple to being judges, gatekeepers, and musicians. For many of these, their entire lives became dedicated to the service of God and His temple—giving thanks every morning and evening (vv.26–30). Each of their assigned duties had come from the commands of the Lord (1Chronicles 24:19). They didn’t need to look outside of God’s divine instruction for direction on what they were to do.

After the lists of genealogies and assignments, David says of these men, “They are to carry out their responsibilities for the tent of meeting, for the holy place, and for their relatives, the descendants of Aaron, in the service of the LORD’s temple” (1Chronicles 23:32).

None of us today work in this temple. But these scriptures remind us that all our work can and should be dedicated to honoring God. Worship is something we do with our whole bodies. It’s about being fully submitted to God’s purposes and dedicating our lives as a sacrifice to Him (Roman 12:1). Whether we’re sitting in an office or changing endless diapers, all our daily assignments can be done for God’s glory.

Is my life dedicated to the worship of the God who gave me life? In all my pursuits, am I putting down roots in a way that will bring God the honor He deserves?

God, may we live with our lives dedicated to your glory today!

56 thoughts on "The Divisions of the Levites"

1. Margaret W says:

I did the readings earlier today, but now I am sitting in my kayak enjoying God’s beautiful creation—something I need to do regularly for both my mental and spiritual health. It helps me understand why Jesus went away so often to pray. Right now I have a dear friend who is dying from a rare disease, but I know it is basically a result of domestic violence and doctors not understanding the disease nor taking her complaints seriously. I really don’t think she has long to live, and she is 10 years younger than I, with young adult children who just don’t get it, and a husband who is angry at her for not being able to work. (She can hardly walk at this point.) Please pray that God would give me wisdom in how to support her best. Her name is Angel.

2. Donna Wolcott says:

Sharon such wonderful news! If any of you have not tried using something like Biblegate to listen to the readings of Chronicles, it is a huge help. When you struggle to pronounce as you read, you lose the thoughts. Also, it is amazing to hear the names pronounced. Praying for requests.

3. Rhonda J. says:

@CindyJ- May I recommend the bible study by Priscilla Shiver “Elijah!” It is all about being in the “isolation” of a new, stark, valley. And how God is using us in that place to get us where he is taking us! The book is so good even reading on your own. We are only on the 3rd chapter and I am enthralled!

And to all the homeschoolers, I too remember someone saying that my only gift MAY be to raise my child up in the Lord…(or grandchildren)! Oh how God can use ANY part of where you are …in “such as a time as this.” Kudos to you to put your beliefs and teachings into your children!

(It’s times like this that I really wish we could “reply” to each individual so my name won’t show up over and over… :/ )

4. Jeanie Mclellan says:

Amen

5. Catherine McVey says:

@Sharon Jones Praise God for her healing! God is so good!

6. Dorothy says:

So I wonder if God gave those mentioned in the following Scripture the talent needed to perform their task? 1 Chronicles 24:19 “Each group carried out its appointed duties in the house of the Lord according to the procedures established by their ancestor Aaron in obedience to the commands of the Lord, the God of Israel.”; 25:1 “David and the army commanders then appointed men from the families of Asaph, Heman, and Jeduthun to proclaim God’s messages to the accompaniment of lyres, harps, and cymbals.” Wouldn’t it be embarrassing to be one of those chosen to sing and not be able to sing or to play an instrument and be tone deaf? My maternal grandfather never joined us when we sang songs because he knew he couldn’t sing and was tone deaf but he loved to hear everyone sing.
    I failed to ask for prayer yesterday for my daughter-in-law, I found out Saturday at their baby shower that she is having problems with her blood pressure. Right now they have it regulated but if they continue to have problems the will have to take the baby early. Baby George is fully developed and just needs to grow now.
    Father God thank You for giving each of us our special and unique talents. Thank You for allowing us to worship You in the way we see is best for us. Watch over us as we go through our day and week. Amen
    Be blessed and worship the Lord in your own way.

7. Sharon, Jersey Girl says:

I used to think that worship was what took place on Sundays when we gathered together as a church body. But years ago, when I was preparing lessons for our vacation bible school – a light-bulb went on! That is when I realized that worship is something we are to be doing every day of our lives! In everything we do, it is to be an act of worship – do it with a right spirit, be mindful of God’s presence, be thankful for whatever our job is for that day-week-month-or year. Sing songs in your heart (or out loud!) recite scripture to yourself, pray the scriptures – live life for Jesus – freely talk Him to others. Thank you God for revealing to us how we can worship you in everything! Father God, may my body be a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to you…Just a thought – what an awesome orchestra it must have been to hear as you entered the temple!

@Sharon J – praise God for the good report you got from the tests and the Dr. May God’s healing hand continue to be on your daughter.
    @Cindy – praying that you will settle into your new place and that God will connect you with christian ladies that will encourage you, pray for you and be a good friend.
    @Taylor – praying you are feeling much better soon, and that you will feel strong enough to work today.
    @Sarah D – Continuing to pray for you and your new relationship with this gentleman friend. May God’s will be done!

Asking prayer for someone that used to be part of our church family. I just recently learned that in November he and his wife lost their oldest son in a horrific accident. He was 14. I can not imagine the grief they are experiencing. I can only think that to lose a child is the greatest heartache one can experience – I know there are sisters here that have lost a child, so I know you can understand their pain and sorrow. To all of my SRT sisters – please add them to your prayer lists, they will need continued prayer for the days, weeks, months and year ahead. The parents are Jim and Beth. Thank you in advance.

8. Debbi A. says:

Hi Michelle, great observation and question! It lead me to look into it more. No, it isn’t just the SRT bible (there is a footnotecreferencing the verse). My ESV states in the small type: Some manuscripts insert verse 21. In my brief exploration, I found that some translators believe verse 21 is not present in the earliest manuscripts, and not what Matthew wrote.