The Day of the Lord

from the 1 & 2 Peter reading plan

2 Peter 3:1-13, Genesis 1:6-10, Genesis 7:17-24, Revelation 21:1-8

BY Kaitie Stoddard

You know when you make a big deal out of something pretty insignificant? Maybe your day didn’t start on the right foot, and you just hit a tipping point. Now you’ve completely lost perspective on the matter at hand and can’t seem to right your focus. Does this ever happen to you?

It’s easy to get caught up in the struggles of the daily grind. While we believe the very breath in our lungs is a gift from God, we lose our grasp on the miracle of life when the kids are fighting, a stressful project is due, or a relationship goes awry. It’s natural to focus on the things in our lives that need attention, but how can we do that without losing sight of the bigger picture?

In Peter’s second letter, he reminds believers not to lose sight of the greater story. For Peter, one of the most encouraging things to remember in times of trials was the coming Day of the Lord. So often, we focus on the death and resurrection of Christ but forget His promise to return. When we do, we lose sight of where our lives are headed.

Peter even said that there will be false teachers who question God’s timing and try to convince believers that Christ isn’t coming back. But our hope rests in the trustworthy promises of the Lord. And because Christ said He’ll return like “a thief in the night,” we need to be prepared for His arrival at any moment (1 Thessalonians 5:2).

What does it look like to be prepared? It’s not about storing up good deeds, because nothing we ever do will be perfect enough to deserve heaven. All we need to do is place our trust in Jesus, our Savior. He stands in the gap and covers all our sin. “Based on his promise, we wait for new heavens and a new earth, where righteousness dwells” (2 Peter 3:13). These promises rest not on our merit, but on His.

In knowing that Christ will come back at any moment, the stressors of our lives seem less significant. In the new heavens and new earth, a bad grade on a test or an embarrassing moment won’t mean a thing. In fact, “Death will be no more; grief, crying, and pain will be no more, because the previous things have passed away” (Revelation 21:4). We will be with the one who created us, the one who fulfills our every need. In the midst of the messy and mundane, let’s refocus our eyes upward as we wait expectantly for the coming of the Lord.

23 thoughts on "The Day of the Lord"

1. Sharon W says:

✝️✝️✝️

2. Steph C says:

“The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance” (2 Peter 3:19). Not slack, but patient. He has not forgotten His promise. He is waiting for one more person to believe and be rescued. Saved from judgement. No one knows when His purpose will be accomplished. All we know is that His promise is sure. And His timing is perfect.

3. Nolvia B says:

Llloñ

4. Melanie Kleinhans says:

Oh Wendy…love seeing your name here and reading your wise words!!

5. Terrisa Stewart says:

Amen! Praying there is a new beginning coming for my best friend. He and I just connected after some time being away from each other and this devotional today reminded me that as much as I am on this spiritual journey for my own well-being. I am also on this journey for those closest to me.

6. Ashley Thomas says:

As a mom of young kids, I feel I reach my tipping point multiple times in one day. The first paragraph of the commentary really hit home for me. All of this is so insignificant compared to what is to come. My Jesus saved me, My God loves me- nothing else matters.

7. Wendy Myers says:

Faith is not just about believing. Believing requires actions; we’re not saved by our actions but rather they reflect the realness of our belief. We are to be the kingdom; do justly, love mercy, walk humbly. Be about the Master’s business when he returns. May we multiply the talents He has given us, bearers of the Good News.

8. Mari V says:

I hold onto that promise that one day my Jesus will come back for all of us! I long for that day when all our trials of life will pass a way for us to remember no more. My daughter felt depressed a couple of days ago. She actually miss school. She is only 13 years old and she was saying I wish we could just go HOME! And my response to her was, “me too“. I reminded her that in this life we are going to have trials and this is just preparing her for life later on. At least we know we have hope that Jesus will come for us one day. I love it how we were just having this conversation two days ago and here is this devotion, confirming HIS promise that JESUS is coming back for us.