The Community’s Most Talked About Reading from 2019

Psalm 23:1-6

BY She Reads Truth

For Day 3 of our 2019 Wrapped plan, we asked our website geniuses to discover our most talked about day within the SRT community. It was from our digital reading plan, Psalms of Rest. Today’s reading is a psalm of David, reminding us of the Lord’s provision and care for His people.

Psalms of Rest Day 1 | The Lord Is My Shepherd

Psalm 23 speaks to my heart—green pastures, quiet waters, right paths. I am an outdoorsy person by nature. I’d much rather get lost in the woods, alone with my thoughts, the trees, and the breeze, than be in any city. So, as I read these familiar verses, I want to go outside, to be witness to the goodness and beauty of the natural world. It also occurs to me that I have something in common with sheep—we can both get lost without hardly trying.

Some years ago, I read about a Merino sheep in New Zealand named Shrek. He had wandered away from his flock and his shepherd and gotten lost. For six years, he lived in nearby caves, eating what he could find and avoiding the shearer’s blade. When Shrek was finally found, his wool weighed sixty pounds, and the raw weight of twenty men’s suits on his back was threatening his life. He had trouble walking, and his breathing was labored. He needed his shepherd. So do we.

Shepherds take care of sheep—plural—but in this psalm, the relationship is between one sheep and his Shepherd. It’s personal, much more intimate. “The LORD is my shepherd” (v.1, emphasis mine). These words are from David, but I can’t help but read them as my own. I think we were meant to, each one of us. The Lord is my Shepherd. He guides me, provides for me, protects me from my enemies.

I don’t need to worry. “I have what I need” (v.1). I don’t need to struggle or strive. “He lets me lie down in green pastures” (v.2). Weariness does not have the final say. “He renews my life.” And I won’t ever get lost. (Not really, anyway.) “He leads me along the right paths for his name’s sake” (v.3). It is only because the Shepherd is so good that I can be still and rest, that I can have true peace.

I could be happy for eternity being a beloved lamb of the Good Shepherd, but Psalm 23 doesn’t leave us as sheep. A shift occurs in verse 5. David begins to address God directly—the song becomes a prayer of thanksgiving. Not only that, but the pastoral imagery is replaced by a banquet scene. You and I have become honored guests of the King.

The table is set, and though my enemies might rage just outside, none of that matters (v.5). I am in the house of my Maker, the One who knows me and loves me better than anyone else. But the best part? I’m not just a guest. I get to stay in His presence forever—”as long as I live” (v.6), though the Hebrew phrase that’s been translated doesn’t limit this time to my natural lifespan. It has all come full circle—”I have what I need,” because I have the One I was created to know and love.

As the content director for She Reads Truth, He Reads Truth, and Kids Read Truth, John Greco has the best job in the world. He wakes up every morning hardly believing he actually gets paid to study Scripture and write about it. He is the author of three books, Gospel Here and Now: Your Life in the Story of God, Manger King: Meditations on Christmas and the Gospel of Hope, and Broken Vows: Divorce and the Goodness of God. John and his wife, Laurin, live south of Nashville, where they daily wrangle their three small boys and dream of someday being the ones who get to take all the naps.

80 thoughts on "The Community’s Most Talked About Reading from 2019"

1. KayTrenia says:

Such a great reminder as we go into a New Year to be reminded that God has already and will continue to provide everything that we need. Praying that this year I will remember to slow down and enjoy each moment and being content and that I will have a closer relationship with God.

1. Angela Loych says:

These are my goals for 2020 too! After a very busy and stressful December (which i

2. Angela Loych says:

These are my goals for 2020 too! After a very busy and stressful December, I need to slow down and rest in God. I want to choose JOY in each day and not worry about tomorrow.

2. Mari V says:

Happy New Year SRT sisters! I feel blessed and grateful for all of you. The ending of this Day 3 devotion is what spoke to me the most this morning.
    “I have what I need,” because I have the One I was created to know and love. He is Jehovah Jireah my provider!

3. Donna Wolcott says:

Dear sisters, wishing you all a Blessed and Happy New Year! Reading your posts is a favorite part of my day. Thank you all.❤️

4. Erin Calvin says:

Such a sweet reminder… that I have all I need. My shepherd takes care of me, even when I feel lost and heavy and alone. I’m looking forward to a year full of reminders, of who God is and who he says I am.
    Happy new year, everyone!

5. Rebekah Oneill says:

I started 2019 with a study of psalm 23 and now starting 2020 with it I feel like God is giving a hint on where my heart needs to be!

6. Mikki B says:

I’m am so excited for what God has in store for me in 2020! I have tried to get into SRT daily devotionals in the past but it just never stuck. 2019 has been the year that I have really enjoyed my mornings and looking forward to what SRT has for me that day. I learned what I missed out on before: the comments. You guys are what gives life to my mornings and I look forward to your wisdom! I am a young 23-year-old and don’t have a lot of spiritual role models in my life currently. I am thankful for “strangers” that have turned into role models! Thank you and can’t wait to journey into 2020 with you all!

1. Kerry Rowley says:

❤️

2. Madison Menefee says:

Hey!! If you want to chat I would love to :) I’m only 20, and I feel you girl! I’m trying to create the habit of reading daily.

3. Madison Menefee says:

Hey! I’m trying to create the habit of reading daily as well :) I’m also only 20, so I feel ya girl! If you ever want to chat, I would love to.

7. April says:

I love Psalm 23. I pray I will take heart and heed David’s words that The Lord truly is my Shepard every day of my life. Praying I will let The Lord lead and direct me and not be on my own making decisions and worrying about what is going to happen in the year ahead. Sometimes I try to figure everything out and worry a lot about life. Please Lord help me remember You are in control and not me. Help me to rest in You and You alone. I pray I will let worry go away because you tell us don’t be anxious. Help me to trust and abide in you each day. Thanks SRT for your daily devotionals and Bible readings. I can’t imagine life without them. May God continue to prosper She Reads Truth as it reaches many around the world.

1. Mari V says:

❤️ this April! Exactly what I need to hear as I am in going through and will be going through many more changes this year. Such comfort that God walks with us