The Community’s Favorite Reading from 2019

Deuteronomy 10:14-17, Psalm 145:3-7, Isaiah 40:9-25, John 1:1-5, Revelation 22:13

BY She Reads Truth

For Day 5 of our 2019 Wrapped plan, we asked our marketing team to identify the community’s favorite reading from this year. The winner was Day 1 of our Attributes of God reading plan, which explores God’s infinite and extraordinary nature and the gift that His people get to know Him and experience His love. This reading set us up for three incredible weeks studying different attributes of God.

Attributes of God Day 1 | God Is God

Whatever we think of when we think about God is, at the very least, incomplete. He is infinite, but our imaginations are limited. He is unfathomable, so our thoughts cannot plumb the depths. He is the Creator of everything, yet we are constrained by metaphors that come from the created world. The very idea that we might classify or categorize God is laughable. He cannot be tamed or studied. He is beyond our reach and beyond our understanding.

And yet we can know Him. He has graciously entered our world, time and time again, so that we might be His children and His true image-bearers. He was in the garden with Adam and Eve. He spoke to Noah, Abraham, and Moses. His presence filled the tabernacle and, later, the temple. He put on flesh and became one of us. And He has gifted His Spirit to His people, in order that we might know Him more intimately still. “The LORD had his heart set on your fathers and loved them. He chose their descendants after them—he chose you out of all the peoples, as it is today” (Deuteronomy 10:15).

We can know God because He has chosen to be known. He is all-powerful, all-knowing, and all-present. He is loving and just, merciful and good, and a thousand other things beside. “For the LORD your God is the God of gods and Lord of lords, the great, mighty, and awe-inspiring God” (v.17). Theologians have made many a complicated list of God’s attributes, filling thick volumes on shelves that occupy the libraries of this world. But those books amount to what we can know about God. We have been given an opportunity to go much deeper than that. We have been invited to love Him and be loved by Him—to know Him in a way that defies our limited capacity for knowledge and understanding and, in so doing, bring Him glory.

Whatever measure of knowledge we have about God is granted to us so that we might worship Him, not merely as admirers from afar but as dearly loved children.

60 thoughts on "The Community’s Favorite Reading from 2019"

1. E Hong says:

5On the glorious splendor of your majesty,
    and on your wondrous works, I will meditate.

2. Jennie Pakula says:

How breathtaking when you think about it – the infinite creator of the universe sets His love on human beings, and not just His chosen ones as a group, but each individual one of us is chosen, known and loved to the level of knowing our every hair, breath and thought. What an extraordinary privilege to be His child. How I long to live more like a member of this family should live, to walk as Jesus walked. Help me precious Lord. Amen.

3. Laura says:

Arlene, I will pray for you and for healing in your marriage. I just walked through a very dark path in my marriage that started 3.5 years ago. I can finally see the beauty from the ashes – but it was such a hard time, and although I would never want to go back there, I am so very thankful for what I have now in my marriage and what God taught me along the way. My relationship with my husband is deeper and stronger, and my relationship with God is one of trust and faithful commitment. I was dealing with infidelity, and I felt like I was all alone sometimes. It seemed like everyone else had marriages that were so awesome and put together. It can be a very lonely place. But God was there for me (as well as a few very strong sisters-in-Christ) and we made it through. At times I felt like giving up, and a few times I almost did, but I am so very thankful that I didn’t and that I can see with my very own eyes what true redemption is and that in a small way, I could be part of that journey for my husband . I learned a lot about forgiveness and I also learned that I am not very willing to forgive. It was a hard lesson for myself and one that I am grateful for now, but in the moment, was very resistant. I will remember you in prayer. Marriage is worth fighting for.

4. Searching says:

Praying!

5. Arlene Jacobs says:

Prayers for reconciliation and healing in my marriage, please. I am usually quite and most days I just do the devotional and skip the comment section all together, but I really need prayers during this dark time in my life! Thank you all so much! I know He is in control and is working even now as I am hurting.

1. Bessie H says:

I’m praying for you, Arlene. May God’s presence and love be with you in a powerful way.

2. Sha Carson says:

Praying over your marriage, Arlene. May God strengthen and repair that relationship as you continue to draw closer to Him.

3. Sheri Ness says:

Dear Arlene, I am vacationing by the ocean today. Praying for you. In this season of darkness and confusion – May you be flooded with a keen sense of God’s love for you and his presence in the middle of heartache. I am praying that you have moment-by-moment trust and hope in the God of all creation, who made you and knows you – full well. Grief and pain can be so isolating. Thank you for trusting us with your need for help. Bless you sister.

6. Truth Seeker says:

Ashley P. Share with your friend this website: http://www.adamsroadministry.com
    This is a group of 4 former Mormons who were saved out of Mormon beliefs and lifestyles some at great personal cost, some whose families followed to belief in Christ.
    They spread the gospel through music and their testimonies.
    I am sure that he could relate to their life stories and find that there IS a way to The Way !
    Praying for him and you.

7. Courtney says:

Tina:

Thank you for sharing your beautiful memories of your daughter and your heart with us.

8. Victoria says:

How amazing is it that we have a God who wants to know us and is always just a breath away! Reading your comments and this devotional has made me realize that you’re exactly right, we simply cannot fathom and explain everything because we are limited by design. Sometimes I do catch myself thinking that it is hard to feel His presence as others do but know that He is working in His own way in my life and we all have our own unique relationship with Him. It’s easy to compare yourself to others which is something I am trying to work on in this new year! I pray that I continue to seek Him in my daily life and come to know Him more and more!