The Annunciation

from the Advent 2019: A Thrill of Hope reading plan

Luke 1:26-38, Matthew 1:18-25

BY Guest Writer

“God’s love was revealed among us in this way:
God sent his one and only Son into the world so that we might live through him.
Love consists in this: not that we loved God,
but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the atoning sacrifice for our sins” (1 John 4:9–10).

Jesus came to save us. I don’t know about you, but I need to stop today and set aside all the less-than-a-week-before-Christmas-to-do lists, and hear that again: Because God loves us, He sent Jesus to save us. Praise God from whom all blessings flow, from whom this miracle came—the miracle of Jesus’s birth, the virgin birth of the Son of God who took on flesh to save us.

As I slow down and step into these well-known stories, I am once again amazed by God’s pursuant love for us. In today’s passages, both Mary and Joseph hear about Jesus for the first time. The angel Gabriel tells Mary, “You will conceive and give birth to a son, and you will name him Jesus” (Luke 1:31). There’s so much wrapped up in that one verse. Though she’d never been with a man, she would give birth to a Son and name Him Jesus. Mary would conceive and give birth in a way no other woman had or has since.

Jesus, the one whose name “is above every name,” and one day, “at the name of Jesus every knee will bow—in heaven and on earth and under the earth—and every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father” (Philippians 2:9–11).

Jesus, part of the triune, all-transcendent, all-powerful, almighty God, who holds all creation together in His perfection, and whose power and glory and creative genius no words can grasp (Colossians 1:15–20).

Jesus, who came into the womb of a young girl to take on flesh and dwell among us, to save us before we knew we needed saving. Joseph was instructed “to name him Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins” (Matthew 1:21).

Jesus has come and will come again: Jesus came to save us, once for all, by His work on the cross (Hebrews 10:10). By His Spirit, “the Lord is near” (Philippians 4:5), and He will one day come again on the clouds to wipe away every tear and make all things new (Revelation 21:4).

Jesus is here, among us. He sees the brokenness of our hearts and of our world and walks through it all with us. He chose to come and live among us because He loves us. Even in our sin and filth and grime, He loved and pursued and saved us for the joy set before Him (Hebrews 12:2). Let us praise Him, Immanuel, “God is with us” (Matthew 1:23).

Kimberly Girard is a well-loved child of God, wife of an extraordinary man, mother of three amazing kids, and writer living in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. You can find her at Loud Singing and on Twitter.

35 thoughts on "The Annunciation"

1. Melissa Mcronney says:

Thank you Jesus. Praise His name.

2. Diana Fleenor says:

“The Annunciation” is a new term for me; had to look it up and saw it is specific to this glorious announcement through the angel Gabriel of Jesus conception by the Holy Spirit in the virgin Mary. Having this term specially designated for the birth of our Lord and Savior just heightens awe in my soul. And I agree with the many of you who have noted the humble willingness of Mary and Joseph to accept the call of the Lord in this miracle which also put them in the position of looked down upon by people. They give us such a good example to take the Lord’s favor over people’s who are without full knowledge of the circumstances we are walking in. May the grace of God and his favor in granting me his love in salvation be my resting place. I pray this for all of you as well.

3. Hannah Bryant says:

So beautiful — Mary is so amazing. If it had been me, I don’t know if I would have been able to shoulder the burden she was given, remarkable though it was. How brave of her to say yes! And how beautiful of our Lord to give us the gift of Jesus. May we never take him for granted.

4. Ashley P. says:

This reminds me of the song Rescue (O Holy Night) by the Royal Royal; you should look it up. I’ve been singing it the last few weeks. It’s repetitive but beautiful in its truth and simplicity.
    Chorus:
    Glory to God, you have saved us
    Glory to God, you have freed us
    Jesus is here
    Jesus is here
    Glory to God in the highest
    Glory to God in the highest
    Jesus is here
    Jesus is here

5. Mari V says:

I was a sinner ( and still am) in need of a Savior. Thank you Jesus (Immanuel). God with us.

6. Melody Riggs says:

It’s always humbling to think that God game to the world as a baby to save me.

7. Pam K says:

Thanks Churchmouse for your comment. I too was struck by the obedience of Mary and Joseph in today’s reading. Mary responds to the affirmation that “the Lord is with her” and Joseph is told “ to not be afraid”. We have these same affirmations as we walk with the Lord. I too easily forget and can second guess or just not move into obedience. Yet I have seen progress in trusting His direction and His ways. Thankful for Him who knows us and loves us beyond our understanding.

8. Zoe Mazzawi says:

I love how Gabriel said to Mary, “the Lord is with you” upon greeting her. These are the same words that were prophesied in Isaiah: “they will name him Immanuel-God with us”. Gabriel foreshadowed the coming of Jesus, our Immanuel, as he spoke to Mary and brought comfort to her. And we are also comforted knowing Jesus is with us this Advent season and always.