The Annunciation

from the Advent 2019: A Thrill of Hope reading plan

Luke 1:26-38, Matthew 1:18-25

BY Guest Writer

“God’s love was revealed among us in this way:
God sent his one and only Son into the world so that we might live through him.
Love consists in this: not that we loved God,
but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the atoning sacrifice for our sins” (1 John 4:9–10).

Jesus came to save us. I don’t know about you, but I need to stop today and set aside all the less-than-a-week-before-Christmas-to-do lists, and hear that again: Because God loves us, He sent Jesus to save us. Praise God from whom all blessings flow, from whom this miracle came—the miracle of Jesus’s birth, the virgin birth of the Son of God who took on flesh to save us.

As I slow down and step into these well-known stories, I am once again amazed by God’s pursuant love for us. In today’s passages, both Mary and Joseph hear about Jesus for the first time. The angel Gabriel tells Mary, “You will conceive and give birth to a son, and you will name him Jesus” (Luke 1:31). There’s so much wrapped up in that one verse. Though she’d never been with a man, she would give birth to a Son and name Him Jesus. Mary would conceive and give birth in a way no other woman had or has since.

Jesus, the one whose name “is above every name,” and one day, “at the name of Jesus every knee will bow—in heaven and on earth and under the earth—and every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father” (Philippians 2:9–11).

Jesus, part of the triune, all-transcendent, all-powerful, almighty God, who holds all creation together in His perfection, and whose power and glory and creative genius no words can grasp (Colossians 1:15–20).

Jesus, who came into the womb of a young girl to take on flesh and dwell among us, to save us before we knew we needed saving. Joseph was instructed “to name him Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins” (Matthew 1:21).

Jesus has come and will come again: Jesus came to save us, once for all, by His work on the cross (Hebrews 10:10). By His Spirit, “the Lord is near” (Philippians 4:5), and He will one day come again on the clouds to wipe away every tear and make all things new (Revelation 21:4).

Jesus is here, among us. He sees the brokenness of our hearts and of our world and walks through it all with us. He chose to come and live among us because He loves us. Even in our sin and filth and grime, He loved and pursued and saved us for the joy set before Him (Hebrews 12:2). Let us praise Him, Immanuel, “God is with us” (Matthew 1:23).

Kimberly Girard is a well-loved child of God, wife of an extraordinary man, mother of three amazing kids, and writer living in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. You can find her at Loud Singing and on Twitter.

35 thoughts on "The Annunciation"

1. Eva-Marie Hester says:

Jesus is the joy of our salvation! I can feel it bubbling up inside of me. Can you feel it too? Let the truths of The Gift the Lord gave us settle into our hearts and resonate in our spirits this Christmas and always! Praise God from whom all blessings flow!

2. Angie says:

Lauren Daigle’s song, Noel, plays through my mind this morning.

Love incarnate love divine
    Star and angels gave the sign
    Bow to babe on bended knee
    The Savior of humanity
    Unto a us a child is born
    He shall reign forever more

Noel, Noel
    Come and see what God has done
    Noel, Noel
    The story of amazing love
    The Light of the World
    Given for us.

Son of God and son of man
    There before the world began
    Born to suffer born to save
    Born to raise us from the grave
    Christ the everlasting Lord
    He shall reign forevermore

Noel, Noel
    Come and see what God has done
    Noel, Noel
    The story of amazing love
    The Light of the World
    Given for us.

I read through your posts ladies,
    I stop and pray
    I take a step into my day
    I stop and pray
    Because,
    the Son of God
    the Savior of humanity
    Amazing Love
    the Light of the world
    Came
    for us
    to save us from the grave

There are times when on my face before the Lord I cry, as my heart breaks
    There are times when hands raised into the air, I worship and praise
    Most times…somewhere in the middle I am holding on, taking a single step,
    Moment by moment
    Day by day
    Praying
    Trusting
    Exhaling in surrender

“I am the Lord’s servant. ”
    “May it be done to me according to your Word.”
    according to your Will Oh Lord

HE SHALL REIGN FOREVERMORE.

1. Jennifer Anapol says:

Thank you for sharing the lyrics of this song with us. I love that song!

3. Skylar Whitmire says:

Love that you pointed out “the Christmas we have created” – when this is the only one we need <3

4. Skylar Whitmire says:

As we’re approaching Christmas Day, I am in constant thought of this amazing story given to us through Scripture. I always try and imagine how Mary must have been feeling – for the all powerful, loving, mighty Son of God to be dancing in her belly. It is unquestionably the most beautiful story ever told. I feel really blessed to be able to reflect on these truths this season with all of you! Praying that my husband will become nearer to God to revel in these powerful truths as well.

5. Churchmouse says:

Gender reveals are all the rage right now but no one can top this one! The angel Gabriel appears to Mary and reveals she is to have a son (cue the blue streamers!), the very Son of God. No ordinary babe this one. Conceived under extremely unique circumstances, never to be repeated. I marvel at Mary’s firm and resolute “yes” to this angelic announcement. What a heart for God she has! What obedience in the face of so many questions which surely had to be racing through her mind. She was favored because she was chosen and she was willing. The Lord is with her!
    Now look at Joseph and there’s the same obedience, surely in the midst of many questions as well. The angel speaks and the two chosen respond “yes.” They know not exactly what the future holds but they are willing to go with God. May the same be said of each of us. May we respond “Yes, Lord. Whatever. Yes.” Because the Lord is with us.

1. Tricia Cavanaugh says:

Yes! Thank you for these thoughts Churchmouse. I want to have the heart like Mary and Joseph. Whatever it is Lord, Yes!

2. Vicki Tiller says:

❤️

6. Kara Follman says:

Thank you God for this time to focus on you!

7. Linda J says:

This is a wonderful study! In the crazy chaos of the Christmas we have created, the peace and power of God’s love and provision is such a blessing. Thanks SRT.

8. Ashley Lewis says:

“For nothing will be impossible with God.” Nothing. I surrender my life to you as you do all the things you have planned. Even when I walk through hard times you are there, my victorious God. I need only be still.