Solomon’s Request for Wisdom

Open Your Bible

2 Chronicles 1:1-17, 2 Chronicles 2:1-18, John 15:4-7

My dad is a pastor whose name a lot of people know.

Not just my church growing up but countless homeschool conferences, Baptist churches, and miscellaneous people on the internet know his name. One of the main things my dad preached about back in the day was how to raise godly children. So, when I stand before some people, they don’t see me—they see my dad. To some of them, I am not a fully formed person with my own relationship with God and day-to-day priorities; I am a walking billboard for all their hopes of raising perfect children.

No pressure, right?

But my dad is “just” a pastor and itinerate preacher.

What if he was—I don’t know—the king of Israel?

When Solomon took the throne, he had big shoes to fill. Everyone looked to him to rule as well as his father had. Asaph wrote of David, “He shepherded them with a pure heart and guided them with his skillful hands” (Psalm 78:72).

Jesus was born ten centuries after David and was known as the Son of David. No pressure, right?

Shortly after Solomon became king, the Lord told him to ask for anything. Anything at all.

He did not ask for his name to overtake David’s so much that the coming Messiah and Savior of the world would be called “Son of Solomon.” He didn’t ask for a permanent place outside his father’s shadow. He didn’t ask for fame, riches, or glory.

Instead, he acknowledged that David was a great ruler because of God’s kindness. He asked that God bring about all the things he promised David under his own rule. He confirmed that God was already fulfilling his promise to Abraham by making the Israelites as numerous as the dust of the earth. And he prayed for wisdom to continue to shepherd God’s people well (2Chronicles 1:8–10).

Solomon understood that the throne was bigger than his name or even David’s name: it represented the name above all names. Is it possible he understood that no matter how far his father’s shadow was cast, it was still minuscule compared to the shadow cast by an almighty God?

David had a heart for many things—one of which was to build a temple for this almighty God. He died without ever seeing this dream realized. When Solomon took up the mantle, though, he wasn’t building the temple for David’s glory, or to live up to David before him, or even to revel in having accomplished something that his father never did.

He was building the temple because he understood that the legacy he was walking in was so much bigger than King David’s.

And whether people see you coming first or your parents or your older siblings, know that even if their sight is limited, yours need not be. Ask for wisdom to see beyond the temporal, to the eternal legacy you’re a part of. It’s so much more.

(54) Comments
[x]

54 thoughts on "Solomon’s Request for Wisdom"

1. Molly R says:

I wrote in my Bible next to 2 Chronicles 1:10 “A prayer as a Mama as well. My ‘people’ may might not be as plentiful as the stars, but they are Yours (God’s)!”
    We are all called and set apart for certain work. May I begin each day with a renewed desire for knowledge and wisdom to do it to the glory of God!

PS: I just “friended” miss Rhonda J and Michelle Patire on Facebook and didn’t realize how nice it was to put a face to some of these names. Truly warmed my heart! If anyone would like to “friend” me, I am Molly Rohrer on Facebook (profile picture is a painting of me that my husband did), and Instagram I am mollyerohrer. Have a great Friday as you prepare for the weekend, and hopefully some rest!

2. Cheryl Blow says:

It’s so hard to say what should have been prayed for by Solomon. I believe that God allowed us to not only see their success but also their failure so that we can learn from them. We are all going to fail but the point is to get back up and keep going on our journey with God. Repent, and keep following Him. I think wisdom and knowledge was a great choice. Much better than the newest chariot!

3. Michelle Patire says:

@Lisa Chapek- what a word!! I just read your comment posted today. May it be so in Jesus’s name!

4. Michelle Patire says:

@TRACI GENDRON- I relate so much to what you’re sharing on humility. This is something I have been really noticing the Lord trying to teach me. I was just telling a believer friend that this is probably my biggest struggle – pride. I pray with you.

5. Sue Dalos says:

@ Lisa Chapek. Thank you for sharing the Lord’s encouragement to pray bigger. May we all have the wisdom to listen to God’s encouragement for our lives and for the wisdom we need in our prayers.
    ❤️

6. Cee Gee says:

THANK YOU, JASMINE HOLMES, for this beautiful, encouraging, and thoughtful devo!

The study notes provided by Logos on the Scripture links reminds us that wisdom begins with the fear of Yahweh and that some aspects of wisdom are: knowledge, understanding, and prudence. Lots more good info there!

Have a blessed, restful, and restorative weekend, sisters!

7. Traci Gendron says:

I’m married to a man of “position”. I have felt like Jasmine. People can show their true colors at times, but I think they just don’t know any better. They don’t have Jesus. He gives me the strength to endure those encounters. To know that He loves me more than anyone can.

I’m doing a study on humility and it felt like it complimented today’s readings. This is just a part of it.

“There is no respect for others without humility in one’s self.” — Henri-Frederic Amiel.

Society says my sole focus in life should be on me. My happiness. My comfort. My wants. My dreams. My desires.

We’re told to promote ourselves, polish our reputation, and share what’s great about us with the rest of the world.

And if we’re being honest, we’ve all followed this cultural norm in one way or another. Maybe you work on that perfect selfie, taking 347 shots before getting it right. Or maybe you’re quick to spout wisdom on any and all topics, unaware that you may have something to learn. You might even live with an unhealthy level of expectation, feeling that you deserve the best because of who you are or what you’ve done.

The reason I can give such specific examples, by the way, is because I’ve struggled with this too. I’m right there with you.

Soloman had humility. I seek to be humble.

1. Erica Chiarelli says:

Amen!! Thats good; thanks for sharing!!

8. Mari says:

Good morning and happy Friday BEAUTIFUL She’s It’s another rainy, stormy, and cold day here in sunny California with expected rain for the next five days. I guess since the groundhog saw its shadow, we truly are having six more weeks of winter. THANK YOU for praying for my son. He made a wise, yet painful decision about a relationship. He chose Jesus. My mother’s heart couldn’t be more proud of him. And though he will experience a heartache for a while, he knows he chose right. Meanwhile, as a mother, I will continue to pray for this beautiful young lady. Interestingly, after reading today’s devotion, I’ve been praying for wisdom. When I would have conversations with my son and listening to him, I was praying for wisdom that God will give me the right words to say to him and I know sometimes they were painful to hear. I’m so grateful for all of you here at SRT. This is a beautiful community and I’m grateful for all of you.