Seek God’s Deliverance

Open Your Bible

Psalm 51:1-19, Psalm 56:1-13, Psalm 57:1-11, Psalm 59:1-17, Psalm 64:1-10

Book II

The collection of psalms in Book II express lament and distress about present circumstances and conditions while looking to the faithfulness of God.

There are two words here that hold the power of a spiritual warhead. They woo the sinner to repentance (Psalm 51:1–2) and wash the dirty clean (v.7). They quiet our most ferocious fears (Psalm 56:4), interrupt our narcissistic navel-gazing (vv.10–11), and set our feet on a sure path (v.13). They aim at our enemies and never miss their mark (Psalm 64:7). They bring evildoers to ruin (v.8) and lift our arms in heartfelt praise (v.10).

What phrase could possibly pack such a punch? But God.

Like a ship in a bottle, the psalmists capture the human experience with mind-boggling attention to detail, preserved for us to take off the shelf and inspect. Shame, guilt, repentance, wonder, worry, bargaining, anxiety, wrestling, resolve…it’s all right there, smack dab in the middle of our Bibles.

As David cries out, “let the bones you have crushed rejoice” (Psalm 51:8), and “my adversaries trample me all day,” (Psalm 56:2), and “Look, LORD, they set an ambush for me” (Psalm 59:3), we reflexively respond “Me too!” But through David, God gave us more than a treatise on human emotion. Gut-level honesty about human suffering isn’t the way to see our brokenness through the lens of His redemption. The great gift of the psalms is the pivot point. Though the writers of the Psalms often begin by naming their worries without a sugar coat, they don’t stay there. The psalms give us the rhythm of life we are called to march to as children of God. Yes, enemies surround us. It’s true; we are often sinking in the muck and mire of a broken world. Still, knowing God flips the script. “But God” beats louder and stronger than our daily aches and pains.

“But God” transforms David from whiner to worshiper.

“But God” is the hope that makes Scripture’s poems reach through the centuries and arrest our modern hearts.

“But God” is a shelter worth running into when the storm rages; a foundation we can build our entire lives upon.

Embedded in the cadence of these treasured poems, we find gospel hope. The book of Psalms tells a bigger story, our story. We “were dead in [our] trespasses and sins” (Ephesians 2:1). We “walked according to the ways of this world” (v.2), driven mad by the desires of our flesh (v.3). Our sinful nature sentenced us to God’s wrath (v.3). Like David, we were guilty, gutted, harassed, and helpless.

These are more than pretty poems. They do something greater than give voice to our pain. The psalms teach us how to pivot from our pain to God’s providence, from our fears to God’s faithfulness, from our sin to God’s gift of salvation, from our life right this moment to the life He has secured for us in heaven. Like David, you get to choose. Will you make the turn from human angst to God-directed adoration? Will you dwell on today’s challenges, or will you let these two words lift your eyes to a greater hope: but God.

(57) Comments
[x]

57 thoughts on "Seek God’s Deliverance"

1. Dorothy says:

BUT GOD — is watching over me/us.
    BUT GOD — is ALWAYS there for me/us.
    BUT GOD — is who I/we can go to ANYTIME.
    GOD is and ALWAYS has been my go to person.
    Thank You Lord for always being there when I reach out to You. Amen.

Be blessed and know God and Christ ARE ALWAYS there for you.

2. Traci Gendron says:

TINA – I love you sister in Christ! “But God” it’s like you were talking today. You helped me more than you realize getting through my son’s death. I’m so grateful for you. Although I wish you wouldn’t have had to experience the same loss. Your words always fill me.

I’m asking for prayers today as we are traveling to Europe. I pray for safety. That God’s hand will be over us. That our friends will see my faith in God. Thank you She’s! I so appreciate you all!

3. Arina says:

I was listening to the new album of Rend Collective and their song Hallelujah Anyway fits so well with the psalms we’ve been reading this week.

Yeah I’ll find a way to thank You
    Though bitterness is real and hard
    ‘Cause I’d rather take a chance on hope than fall apart

Even if my daylight never dawns
    Even if my breakthrough never comes
    Even if I’ll fight to bring You praise
    Even if my dreams fall to the ground
    Even if I’m lost, I know I’m found
    Even if, my heart will somehow say
    Hallelujah anyway!

4. Heidi V says:

Wow Tina, I feel like Erin Davis has been reading your comments, lol! As so many have said I immediately thought of you and reading today’s devotional. You are the first person that shared those two words with me and boy do they come in handy! I hope you enjoy all the extra love coming your way today. It’s like a special gift from God for you that also is so beneficial to all of us!
    Hugs from across the pond!

5. Heidi V says:

6. Cindy Hanna says:

Narcissistic Navel Gazing had me laughing out loud. Erin Davis gave us a Hope-filled, “no punches pulled” devotional this morning. I loved every wise word she wrote. I’m not sure she knew how much it would resonate with a community of “But God!”…Girl’s who have been testifying to each other that very message since I first started SRT. @Angie Miller. Thank you for the encapsulated list of themes in today’s reading. It will be going up on my mirror.

7. Meghan Gordy says:

This is so good! But God!!! I keep reminding myself that. I Have been going through a season of heartbreak and what a great reminder this was for me. We have been trying to get pregnant for over a year now and I have had my heart broken month after month…. BUT GOD. May my brokenness turn to adoration. For He is sovereign!

8. Taylor Holt says:

Lanie!!! I just saw your comment from yesterday and I’m also an OT who works for Fox Rehab!! What a small world! I included my last name so please if you see this send me an email to my fox email and we can connect further :)