Day 16

Resisting Deceit

from the 1 & 2 Thessalonians reading plan

2 Thessalonians 2:1-12, Daniel 11:36-37, Ephesians 5:6-14

BY Erin Davis

In the Davis home, family meetings are reserved for serious business. If someone calls for one, everyone’s internal radar begins to beep, “Pay attention! This is important!” We sit on the edge of our seats as we gather in the living room to hear whatever weighty news is coming. In 2 Thessalonians 2, the apostle Paul calls a family meeting of sorts. The tone is familial but the topic is kind of scary: even God’s children are vulnerable to deception.

Can’t you picture the Thessalonians gathering together, family-style to read Paul’s letter? I imagine a few biting their fingernails with worry as they read these words, “Now concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our being gathered to him: We ask you, brothers and sisters, not to be easily upset or troubled” (2Thessalonians 2:1–2).

My heart is right there with the believers who first read these words from Paul. I know I’ve been upset and troubled by the promise of Christ’s coming, even while longing for Him to come. Sometimes I wonder what is taking so long. What if we miss it? How can we know, really know, that when He comes He will receive us as His own?

Beyond the return of Jesus, I have other worries. I’ve seen my Christian brothers and sisters crash and burn on the runway of wrong theology. I’ve watched church leaders veer from the truth to their own peril. Though I trust my salvation is sealed in Christ, I also know I’m capable of falling for lies and grabbing on to false hopes. We must remember that God knows about our racing pulse and anxious heart (Philippians 4:6). Through His Word, He acknowledges our fears with a paternal warning: “Don’t let anyone deceive you in any way” (2Thessalonians 2:3).

But isn’t it the very nature of deception that it’s tricky? And who is the “man of lawlessness” (vv.5–12), and how do we steer clear of the “strong delusion” (v.11) Paul writes about in his letter?

In the Davis home, family meetings are also a space for reassurance. We consider something challenging and vow to tackle it together. We acknowledge that something isn’t working, and we stay in the huddle until we have a new game plan. God’s Word does the same. Deep breath. Let’s have a bit of a family meeting.

How can we know if we’ve been deceived? Look closely at verse 12. The answer was there all along. Those who are deceived do not believe the truth. They’ve turned from God’s Word. It’s that simple. And it’s also that easy to do, to be swayed by deception.

Sisters, huddle up. Here is the game plan for battling deception. Ready? We hold God’s Word high as the source of truth. Then we love the truth. We live the truth. We run away from every deception, by running toward our Bibles—together.

55 thoughts on "Resisting Deceit"

1. Jennifer Anapol says:

I pray that I would hold on tight to the word of God. So that I wouldn’t be swayed by false teaching of any kind.

2. Nancy Singleton says:

I am so encouraged by this scripture, devotional, & the comments of our SRT community. So thankful that we stand together on the Truth of God’s Word, not wavering to suit the culture in this dark & dangerous time.

3. Beth says:

@Dorothy, would like to give you several suggestions. Turn off the TV, the screen causes your brain to think it is daytime and that is not good. Replace TV with a book, then read the Word of God at night. If you are still awake pray for everyone you know and needs they have in their lives, and your needs. Also, something like warm Sleepytime tea, warm milk, even a little Melatonin (a natural ingredient that sometimes our body is in lack of to sleep can be purchased and taken in the evening). Just some suggestions to replace practices that we may have done for years, it are not always heathy for us. Especially watching many things on TV that can make your mind keep thinking about and become anxious or stressed and take away your sleep. Blessings.

4. Mercy says:

I am just in awe of how majestic and mighty God is. Sometimes I forget that. The Lord will consume the wicked one in the last day with just the breath of his mouth and the brightness of His coming (2 Thessalonians 2:8). Just effortless, totally effortless. Just a puff of air and the devil be destroyed. Majestic God.

5. Mercy says:

Candi S, I would highly recommend Charis Bible College (part of Andrew Wommack Ministries) in Colorado Springs, which is their main and new-built campus, and there are colleges in some other states. They have the 3rd year training in more specific areas like worship directing, business, government legislation, etc. according to the branch of ministry that their graduates might choose to work in, which I find very hands on before launching the young ministers into the world. It was amazing how Andrew Wommack’s teachings were miraculously brought to me by God when I was in a dark phase of wrong doctrines (legalism), I prayed and I prayed, I stumbled across “Killing sacred cows” teachings and they set me free. His materials are FREE (about 20 years worth of archives all free), made available on their website and youtube. I find that he covers many topics and he always stays close to Bible, easy to understand. I was like a person finding water after years of thirst in the dessert, thanks to the free lessons of this amazing ministry. All the best to your daughter on this exciting journey. I will keep her in prayers.

1. Candi S. says:

Thank you Mercy! I’m so glad to hear how this ministry touched you. I will check out the university for sure. :)

6. Beverly Watley says:

Jesus is Lord

7. Stacy Smith says:

I went to a Christian college. There were a lot of opportunities to mingle with non Christians and honestly, while there are a lot of “Christians” there weren’t a lot of Christians. I grew a lot in my faith and learned my theology but those 4 years are not something I would ever regret bc it allowed me a safe place to grow and ask questions of those who had similar questions. The professors were also great at making me feel safe enough to ask things that others may find heretical and condemn me for. Good luck to your daughter.

1. Candi S. says:

Thank you Stacy!

8. Traci Gendron says:

Churchmouse you spoke to me again! I need to open my Bible more so I can study the genuine and be able to recognize false teachings. I pray everyday that God will open my heart and lay His word inside. I yearn to live more like Jesus. Thank you SRT sisters for such wise words.