Day 1

Remember God’s Promises

from the People of Remembrance reading plan

Genesis 17:1-19, Genesis 26:23-25, Genesis 35:9-15, 1 Chronicles 16:14-18, Galatians 3:29, Romans 4:20-21

BY Lindsey Jacobi

I remember vividly the season of transition after I made a right-but-hard decision to leave a familiar place with familiar people doing familiar work. I was left in the lurch of the in-between, not yet having the “next thing.” What I did have was plenty of questions, “opportunity,” time to (over)think, doubt about God’s faithfulness to provide, concerns about finances, and worry about how much of a burden I was to the people who had chosen to catch me.

Looking forward was overwhelming. And so unclear. But when I had shoved all my belongings into a storage unit for an undetermined period of time, I made sure to grab the last few years’ worth of prayer journals. I would just read and reread them, scouring them for all the evidence I could find that this wasn’t going to be the time that God left me out to dry. Because almost on a daily basis, that lie would creep in. What if this is the time He doesn’t come through? What if I made the wrong choice? What if I just flounder, never really finding the future God has for me?

Thankfully, several people in the Bible, just like Abraham, also faced this seemingly universal reality of uncertain futures. They too needed kind and consistent reminders from the past. We see in their stories how remembrance brings the past reality of who God is and what He has done to bear in the present. To let it inform how we respond, live, repent, and walk with God. Reading those old journals and remembering the Scripture that had been so pivotal in earlier seasons became part of the way I could cling to past promises that were still true. I needed to recall the specific ways I had seen God’s character play out in my life. I needed to remember so I would not forget.

Difficult seasons have a way of tempting us to forget the truth—to forget that God’s promises are still true. We question God’s loyalty when we can only see the brokenness in front of us or the uncertainty of what is to come. And it’s in those moments we need reminders like Abraham, that God has been faithful to His promises, and that will still be true in our most uncertain of days.

So, may the Lord bring to your mind what has been and remains true of Him: the universal and unique ways you have seen Him remain true to His character. And may you be reminded of this truth: He has never forgotten us.

130 thoughts on "Remember God’s Promises"

1. Erin Contreras says:

Thank you for this first day of what I expect will be a beautiful study. I am in a season of change and so often catch myself not trusting and self-doubting. He has provided for me for 60 years. Why on earth would he stop now. Trust in the lord. Know he is with us always and will guide us through. ❤️

2. Laurel Shearer says:

I am so happy to find out the problem is being examined and pray it will be resolved soon. It has been amazing to discover how much I MISS the studies. Thank you so much for providing them. Will continue to pray the glitch will be resolved soon!

3. Patty Tridente says:

Okay thank you

4. Mary Ann Graves says:

Got part of it today and read the first 7 days then it went back to the error message.

1. Hannah Lamb says:

Hey there! Unfortunately, we are still experiencing a glitch in our app that isn’t allowing People of Remembrance to download. We encourage you to keep checking back on the app for updates. In the meantime, feel free to read along through our website until we are able to get this issue fixed – https://shereadstruth.com/plans/people-of-remembrance/.

5. Hannah Crocker says:

From the website:
    Hi! We are currently experiencing a glitch in our app that isn’t allowing People of Remembrance to be downloaded or purchased for our users. This issue has been reported to our app development team, and they are currently working to get the problem corrected as soon as possible.

In the meantime, you can read along with People of Remembrance on our website at shereadstruth.com/plans. Like our app, you will find the daily scripture along with the devotion and community board through our website.

1. Susan Mitchell says:

Thank you for posting this update and providing a workaround while we wait for a fix. Much appreciated.

2. Emma Nguyen says:

Hello Hannah. Could you let the team also know that the feature of copying the verses on the app hasn’t been working for a couple of weeks now? Thanks!

1. Hannah Lamb says:

Hi there! Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. It has now been reported to our app development team. We’re so grateful for you and we apologize for the inconvenience.

6. CHERRIE BREWER says:

Still unable to access. Frustrayef

1. Hannah Lamb says:

Hey there! We are so sorry for the frustration this issue has caused. Unfortunately, we are still experiencing a glitch in our app that isn’t allowing People of Remembrance to download. We encourage you to keep checking back on the app for updates. In the meantime, feel free to read along through our website until we are able to get this issue fixed – https://shereadstruth.com/plans/people-of-remembrance/.

7. Kimberly Hartjen says:

Did someone figure out a way to download the study as a subscriber. I am still getting an error

1. Hannah Lamb says:

8. Danielle Chambers says:

I still cannot get it either.

1. Hannah Lamb says: