Day 16

Our Savior on the Emmaus Road

from the Because He Lives reading plan

Luke 24:9-49, Acts 13:32-38

BY Claire Gibson

What would you do if you wanted to start a revolution? If you wanted to prove that you were the most powerful person to ever walk the earth? If you wanted to prove that you had in fact just been raised from the dead? What would you do first?

I think I would shoot fireworks from my fingertips. Or maybe go to the people who had tried to kill me, and show them I was alive once again. I think I’d go flying around in the sky shouting from the rooftops.

These final few verses were Luke’s last chance to convince readers that Jesus really did rise from the dead. That He really is the Son of God. As a writer, I cannot fathom a more challenging task. But Luke made a decision. He decided to stick to the facts, and the facts are mind-bogglingly simple.

First, the women. A group of women find the empty tomb and return to their friends babbling in an excited confusion. This in itself should convince us of the veracity of this story. After all, in the first century, women were considered unreliable witnesses; their testimony wasn’t even permitted in a court of law. Tim Keller writes: “If the Christians were making up these stories to get their movement off the ground, they never would have written women into the story as the first eyewitnesses to Jesus’s empty tomb. The only possible reason for the presence of women in these accounts is that they really were present and reported what they saw.”

Second, the walk. While Peter runs to the tomb to determine if what the women said is true, Jesus goes on a walk. Oh, how I love this story! Two disciples I’ve never heard of—Cleopas and a disciple who goes unnamed—are walking and talking, processing recent events, when this stranger sidles up next to them. They recount all the events of the week: “How have you not heard about this?!” And then, still under the guise of a stranger, Jesus begins to teach from the Scriptures, starting from Genesis 1:1. Jesus loves Scripture. He knows it—He is the Word made flesh, after all (John 1:14)—and His teaching sets their hearts aflame. They have a simple meal together, and then just as quickly as He appeared to them, Jesus was gone.

Then, His words. Jesus’s first resurrected words to His gathered disciples were, “Peace be with you” (John 20:21). He knows they are terrified, full of doubt. And again, His first action in their presence is not to perform a miracle, but to perform the mundane. He invites them to touch Him, to see His hands and feet. He takes a bite of fish—at face value, an act not of divine power as much as simple human digestion. He then goes on to bless them and remind them of the meaning of the Scriptures, of what’s true. There is no rush. No hurry. In other words, Jesus acts in resurrection exactly as He had in life. Nothing has changed, and yet absolutely everything has.

Jesus is alive! He really is. And for that reason, I can trust that the rest of my life here on earth is but a shadow of what is to come. Jesus did not hustle. He did not worry. He did not feel threatened by doubt. He simply held up His hands and said, “Here… touch.” He walked alongside His friends, and He walks with you and me, too—even if we do not recognize Him at first.

“The Lord has truly been raised” (Luke 24:34), and we are not the same. So go babble excitedly like the women that first Easter morning. Run to the empty tomb like Peter. Walk at a leisurely pace with your God. Invite Him to teach you through His Word. Break bread. Take a bite of fish. Everything is different now, even the seemingly mundane.

37 thoughts on "Our Savior on the Emmaus Road"

1. SAMANTHA VARGAS says:

Even if we do not realize it, Jesus is always there, from the biggest aspects, to the simplest things like a dinner.
    He is always there giving us his breath, he always walks by our side, only that we are so egocentric and self-sufficient that we do not realize it.
    Today my prayer is so that each of us can forget about herself and put her eyes on Jesus, who gave everything to be our friend.
    Lord, please never stop showing yourself in our lives, and prepare our ears so that we can learn about the scriptures just as those disciples did in the way of Emmaus. Open our minds so we can understand, but above all, prepare our heart that burns every time we hear your word!

2. Barbara says:

I picture myself on that road, leaning in to hear what others are saying. Who is this stranger, I wonder.
    When I realize Jesus is Alive, I’m changed. I want to listen to every word he speaks, serve him, do what he says. Today, I can listen, serve and do what he says. Do I? Somewhat, but I can step it up a notch. Everything is different now. Praise be to God.

(I signed up for the devotionals yesterday and purchased a She Reads Truth Bible.Loving it all so far!).

3. Kenya says:

So many good things to remember – be excited about what God has done, run to Him, walk slowly with Him, take care to recognize Him even in the mundane. If I could remember these things, my life would look different. It would be full of time spent with God and less full of doubt, fear, anxiety, or sin.
    God, I pray today that I can share your good news, that I can run to you with faith, that I can find you in every moment – even the simplest ones.

4. Mari V says:

“Walk at a leisurely walk with Your God”. Thank you Claire for this. I need to do this more often. Sometimes I’m so caught up on what’s going on in my life that I don’t take the time just to walk with HIM.This is the main reason why I like to run alone so that I can talk to God, and listen to worship music, and sing. I am reminded today I also need to slow down and go on that leisure walk just Jesus and I.

5. Tricia Cavanaugh says:

I can’t imagine walking along the road and having Jesus show up. Are we so into our own selves and into our own grief or into our own even praise that we don’t recognize the Lord? I’ve always wondered how they didn’t recognize him. But then I look at all the things that I do or things that I see and I’m not looking for the Lord in them. Look at my backyard that has deer in it all the time and other wildlife and I don’t appreciate even that. Today I long to see him in the little things, know that he is walking beside me even when I feel all alone, and hold on to that promise that he will be taking us home with Him someday.
    Lord I long to know more about you. I long for you to be walking next to me and talking to me telling me your story. And that I would know who you are and feel your presence.
    Blessed Tuesday sisters!

6. Gina Cano says:

I always wish I could be on the road to Emmaus and hear this part, “And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he interpreted to them in all the Scriptures the things concerning himself.” Jesus please guide me in the Word. Let me walk with you today and everyday!

7. Steph says:

Thank you Jesus for dying for me and for providing atonement for my sins. Help to overflow with excitement of your truth and to run to you daily. Remind me to slow down and simply enjoy your presence. Open my mind to understand the scriptures. Help me to see you even in the smallest and mundane details of my day. I love you LORD.

8. Bessie H says:

I am a walking kind of person. I am not really a talker or a runner. I walk, a lot! I love the encouragement to walk with Jesus every day. The Lord is teaching me that He wants a relationship with me. To be my dearest and closest friend. I love how some of you substituted your name in the scripture. I do that, too. I hear Him say, Bessie, do you believe in Me? Do you trust Me?

It is easy for me to get caught up in the legalistic side of faith and feel a failure when I don’t do everything I feel I should do. What God wants is me. Raw, unfiltered, real.
    He says to me, Bessie, be at peace. Let’s go for a walk!
    Peace be with all of you, my dear friends.