Day 3

Jesus Is Born

from the The Life of Jesus reading plan

Matthew 1:18-25, Luke 2:1-38

BY Ginny Owens

“For my eyes have seen your salvation” (Luke 2:30).

As someone who can’t see, I’m fascinated by eyes. How they hone in on objects too far away to touch. Or lock on each other from across crowded rooms. Or, whether we want them to or not, display our hearts and express our thoughts

In the passages of Scripture that tell of Jesus’s birth, I am moved by the many pairs of eyes that gazed on Him, recognizing that they saw the unimaginable: God comes to Earth, the Savior of the world. There were the eyes of Joseph, who saw the growing belly of his fiancé, carrying a divinely-conceived child (Matthew 1:18–20). His eyes couldn’t help him see the truth, so an angel filled his vision in a dream to make clear that this child was indeed the salvation Israel had longingly sought (vv.20–23). Can you imagine his eyes beholding Jesus for the first time? As he obediently named his child Jesus (which carried the same meaning as Joshua, “God is salvation”), what wonder he must have felt at this thing God had done (v.25).

Then we have the eyes of the shepherds, likely going through the motions of another ordinary night watch until their vision was flooded with brightness and brilliant beings they had no category for. Telling them news they had to see for themselves: “Today in the city of David a Savior was born for you, who is the Messiah, the Lord” (Luke 2:11). And so they went and laid eyes on the baby King in the manger who was to save the world! Their joy overflowed to everyone around them and in praise to God (vv.15–18,20).

Then there was dear old Simeon, to whom the sight of Jesus, his salvation, was enough to satisfy his heart and ready him for eternal rest (vv.25–35). And Anna, whose eyes could have been filled with loneliness or desperation due to her years of widowhood. Instead, they were filled with the hope of God. Laying eyes on her salvation caused her to praise God and share with everyone how He would redeem Jerusalem (vv.37–38).

What about our eyes? The birth of Jesus is a story most of us have probably heard a billion times, but have we laid eyes on this truth recently? Are we skeptical like Joseph because our eyes are overwhelmed by things of the world that bring concern and seem greater than God’s power? Or, are our eyes like the shepherds’, focused myopically on our daily grind, needing a lifting to the glory and wonder of the Light of the World? If so, let’s pray to have the eyes of Simeon and Anna, who joyfully gazed at their salvation, praising God and telling the world about Him. Let’s take time to gaze on Jesus today. Remember He is God, who became a servant of all, for God’s glory and our good (Philippians 2:5–11). He let Himself be a helpless babe so you and I could know His love and have His help and salvation eternally. Let’s marvel at the mystery again: Jesus, the God of the universe, became an embryo for us.

88 thoughts on "Jesus Is Born"

1. Brinaya Bailey says:

Enjoyed this story.I pray we can all be like Simeon and Anna, and not let the surroundings of our life take away from truly seeing Jesus.

2. Erin Eason says:

♥️

3. AG says:

Loved this reading today. I pray to be more like Simeon and Anna, as I feel more like Joseph with all that is going on in todays world.

4. Jo Wee says:

Being pregnant myself now, I can relate to the mystery of how God made Jesus an embryo in Mary’s womb. It is an act that is beyond human’s control, nothing we do can help the embryo grow the way we want them to grow. Some may call it Nature, but I call it God’s miraculous hands showing us the intricate nature of who He is – He loved us to the core and every cell, literally. TYJ!

5. Claire B says:

Gwineth, I hear my Southern Baptist grandmother’s voice when I see those words.

6. Mercy says:

The Lord will justify for you as He did for Mary (Matthew 1:20). Let God defend your honor in front of other people. And when He does, people will know, truly truly you have got the word/the plan/the vision/the visit from God.
    @Gramsiesue: praying for Steve, your daughter and baby.
    @C. : praying for provision for your family.
    @Rhonda J.: what an incredible journey. Please keep the stories coming. You’re incredible for stepping out and overcoming fear.
    @Mari V: may the Lord provide you with a new beloved car ;) may He give you your heart’s desire. You never know. He loves you so much!
    Reading about Simeon today, seeing the contentment of such a devout elderly man when he met with the baby Messiah for the first time (or the only time perhaps), he was so so content and well pleased. Godliness with contentment is great gain (1 Timothy 6:6). This is another level of contentment that moved me, I want this in my life!! Be blessed dear sisters.

7. Dorothy says:

Until I read the story of Simeon today, I never caught this (emphasis is mine):Luke 2:25 “At that time there was a man in Jerusalem named Simeon. He was righteous and devout and was eagerly waiting for the Messiah to come and rescue Israel. THE HOLY SPIRIT was upon him 26 and had revealed to him that he would not die until he had seen the Lord’s Messiah. 27 That day the SPIRIT led him to the Temple. So when Mary and Joseph came to present the baby Jesus to the Lord as the law required, 28 Simeon was there.” that the HOLY SPIRIT is the one that lead Simeon to the temple and that Simeon had the Holy Spirit in him before the death of Christ. It leads me to wonder if the same wasn’t true for Anna?

I’m finding, between my studies with SRT and my studies with a minister friend of mine, new and enlightening items in the Bible. In my over 60 years of life, hearing Bible stories and when able to reading them these items never caught my eye. I’m loving it. God, Christ and the Holy Spirit are teaching something new everyday. You are NEVER too old to learn something new.

Be blessed and no matter your age remember you can always learn something new if you want to.

8. Marysabel Cardozo says:

Other than Simeon and Anna, I think what most stood out to me is how Mary and Joseph followed God’s law with their own child. They didn’t think it was unnecessary for their child, the Messiah, to also be dedicated. They still went by the laws of the Lord. I think this shows not only how righteous and well-picked Mary and Joseph were to be the earthly parents to Jesus, but it’s another example of how Jesus represents how to live life here on this earth, obeying God’s laws.

Lord, I pray to be more like Simeon and Anna. To not be distracted by things of this world that seem impossible because with You everything is possible. To not be distracted by the routine and day-to-day. I pray to go into each day with childlike wonder and awe at who You are and what You did, sending a savior to us. Such awe that it makes obedience to You and Your laws a reflex, an exciting next step. I praise You and thank You.