Day 12

Jesus Heals and Performs Miracles

from the The Life of Jesus reading plan

Luke 8:26-56, Matthew 9:27-38

BY Bailey T. Hurley

I’ve never witnessed a miracle like the ones described in these Scriptures. I have not seen someone lay hands on a blind person, and with a word, restore their sight. I have not witnessed someone on their deathbed rise as if they had just taken a nap.

Yet, I have witnessed different kinds of miracles. I’ve witnessed the miracle of people turning from darkness to light. I’ve seen friends heal from wounded identities only through the power of Jesus’s love. Even my own experience of being saved by Jesus is a miracle. Jesus is in the business of healing people physically and spiritually. Just because I have never seen lame people walk again doesn’t mean I don’t believe Jesus can do it. I know He can. Yet, for many of us, we are waiting for our miracle, and that can cause us to doubt if Jesus is the true healer.

For much of my life, I have wrestled with anxiety. When I became a mom, the anxiety got worse. There was a season where I was afflicted with panic attacks regularly. At one point, I even called 911 to come and help me because I thought I was having heart failure. Since that time, Jesus has done a lot of healing in this area, but there is still this voice in the back of my head that reminds me it could rise up again unexpectedly. What will trigger the next attack?

Some of us have family and friends we have prayed for hoping they will receive the gift of Jesus into their lives. We are still praying for them…

There are others of us who have wrestled with our love life, our health, our job status, or our fertility. We are still waiting for these unmet desires to be fulfilled…

The bleeding woman could not marry, could not take part in the community, and could not afford any more treatments to help her. She was desperate for relief! And with one touch of Jesus’s robe, she was cured. But was the actual touching of Jesus’s robe some sort of magic? No. “‘Daughter,’ [Jesus] said to her, ‘your faith has saved you. Go in peace’” (Luke 8:48).

A synagogue leader asked Jesus to heal his daughter and Jesus told him to do what? To “only believe” (v.50).

Jesus saw two blind men and asked them, “Do you believe I can do this?” They answered, “Yes, Lord,” and Jesus healed them by their faith (Matthew 9:28–30).

Today, it is by faith that we are saved. I don’t have a fluffy, cute answer for the miracles we are waiting on, but I have faith in Jesus as my rescuer. For He saved me from the gravest thing, my sin. And He restored my soul. This is a miracle. Some may see our condition as a curse, but may we see it as an opportunity to look to the cross, have faith, and “go in peace” (Luke 8:48).

82 thoughts on "Jesus Heals and Performs Miracles"

1. Michelle Patire says:

Taylor where do you live?? I live in the Poconos and my sister works at Jack Frost!!! It did rain today. Unusual for winter here!

2. Mercy says:

@Elin A: praying for your safe pregnancy and smooth delivery. God takes you this far not to leave you. My 3rd baby was delivered 40w+2, I was super on edge and incredibly uncomfortable. I am praying for your peace and strength in these last few days. Please keep us updated.
    @Alison Lynch: praying for strong faith to go through this trial. May God go before you and clear out every obstacle in your favour.
    @Mari V: may the peace of the Lord be with you as you wait through the many hassles and ongoing unknowns of the car accident. It is rough Mari, your beloved car was robbed from you through this accident. May the Lord compensate in due time.
    @Gramsiesue: praise God for baby Jack and mommy all safe and sound.
    @K: praying for your friend’s marriage and court battles. Heartbreaking.
    @Rhonda J: such beautiful way you count your blessings, even the handicap/limitations, such a humbling gratitude. Praying for the class and your leading/teaching with your friend.
    @Libby K: may your mental anguish be healed by GOD …according to YOUR faith.
    @Kenya Rafferty: what you shared made stop on my track. Praying for guidance, may the Lord show you your true identity in Him vs. the wounded identity that causes us to please men/people- a trap. Bless your mama heart.
    @Seaching & Kelly Neo- love you dear sisters. I can’t thank you enough for inspiring me to intercede for others! Such a gift you shared and taught.

Have a lovely weekend she’s.

3. Mercy says:

The Gardarene man with the legion of demons was healed in today’s reading, a life was saved from indescribable shame and torment. The Gardarene swines subsequently plunged to their death off the cliff..by works of unclean spirits. “Gardarene” gives a clue from the town’s name- meaning “moving rapidly without control”. And the result of moving rapidly without control is tragic- death. Living in the rapidly moving society (works of demons) the frantic busyness that embedded into lifestyle, that is considered the culture norm, I am reminded of the shocking consequence from today’s scripture of the Gardarenes. The spirit of restlessness is the work of darkness- demons can never find the place of rest (Matt 12:43) and they cause their victims to perish physically and spiritually. Take heed!
    I had never witnessed the casting out of demons and healing UNTIL I joined my online congregation of Revelation Church (in Simi Valley California). The Lord still casts out demons and heals today through His disciples, and I am thankful to witness this every week. I watched a live service where a legion of demons were cast out of a lady and they talked back to the pastor before being cast out (videos on their church youtube channel). This is a prophetic church that functions strongly and unapologetically in the spiritual gifts of healing, miracles and deliverance. I thank God for leading me to witness such miracles.
    With God anything is possible. Be blessed dear sisters.

4. Elin Almkvist says:

Thank you so much for these words. I am pregnant with my second child and since Tuesday I have been so worried for mine and my baby’s health. It’s such a responsibility to be a mother. Last time I got preeclampsia in week 40+3. Now a doctor I have never met before recommends me to take a prescription pill to prevent me from getting it again.. but the pill would be putting my baby and me at risk for other really serious conditions. Please pray for me and my baby.

I love this community so much, I have gotten prayed for before and God is so good, loving us, listening and answering our prayers ❤️

5. Elin Almkvist says:

Thank you so much for these words. I am pregnant with my second child and since Tuesday I have been so worried for my and my baby’s health. It’s such a responsibility to be a mother. Last time I got preeclampsia in week 40+3. Now a doctor I have never met before recommends me to take a prescription pill to prevent me from getting it again.. but the pill would be putting my baby and me at risk for other really serious conditions. Please pray for me and my baby.

6. Jo Ann K says:

Thanks!

7. Churchmouse says:

Kelly (Neo), thank you for asking about my daughter’s friend’s little boy. He is fibrin to speak and is able to move an arm and a shoulder. He is able to walk though he requires quite a bit of assistance. His family asks that we pray that he will be able to walk on his own. They are amazed and grateful for how much healing has already occurred. His name is Lewis.

8. Kimberly Z says:

Today’s devotional has brought me a lot of piece and comfort. In a long season of waiting Gods promises are so much bigger than our own. Satan truly is the master manipulator. Learning to trust Gods promises can be uncomfortable if I’m being totally honest. I heard somebody say the other day that if you don’t like challenges than you like irrelevance and that’s so true. Praying for you guys to all have a great week.