Day 8

Jesus Forgives and Heals

from the The Life of Jesus reading plan

Matthew 4:12-17, Mark 1:14-45, Mark 2:1-28

BY Yana Conner

Have you ever heard of Lectio Divina? It’s an ancient Scripture reading practice that invites you to read a passage four times as a way of meditating on and praying through Scripture. On your second pass, the practice prompts you to meditate on the word or phrase that resonates with you most. In today’s reading, that word for me was “immediately.”

Jesus called Simon and Andrew to follow Him, and immediately they left their livelihood and followed Him (Mark 1:16–18).

Immediately Jesus called James and John to follow Him, and they left their father and made Jesus their teacher (vv.19–20).

Immediately leprosy left the man who approached Jesus for healing (vv.40–42).

At Jesus’s command, immediately the paralytic whose sins Jesus had forgiven took up his mat and walked (Mark 2:1–12).

Here, in these phrases, we see Jesus immediately taking the initiative to bring His Father’s kingdom near and people immediately responding with surrender, awe, and even opposition. The narrative is in constant motion as Jesus teaches, heals, and forgives those who come to Him. However, it wasn’t Jesus’s activity in today’s reading that caused me to slow down and meditate on the word “immediately.”  It is Christ’s seeming inactivity in my own life that causes me to stop and ponder, asking:

God, why does it seem like my life is in slow-mo?

Why have I not yet healed from past pain?

Why do I have to go to counseling to do the seemingly never ending work of change?

Why haven’t You healed my friend from chronic pain, depression, and night terrors? Is she not worthy of Your immediate compassion and relief? I know You can do it. Is it that You’re not willing?

And I’m not just frustrated with God. I’m also frustrated with myself. Why don’t I respond to God and His Word when He calls me to follow? I long for the immediate activity I see here in these verses.

Friends, I know I’m supposed to give you some encouragement or corrective truth that gets you through the day or the week. But, all I have to offer today is my confession of frustration with the seemingly slow pace of life and a hope in Jesus that, at times, is dimmed by the darkness that continues to loom on Earth. As I continue to meditate and talk to Jesus, I invite you to go back to today’s passage and do the same. Consider what in your life you wish would happen immediately. Draw near to Him with honesty, trusting He will comfort, correct, and respond to your longing in His good and perfect timing—even when the process of sanctification is slow.

137 thoughts on "Jesus Forgives and Heals"

1. Ashley Pessolano says:

Say it louder for those in the back! Right on time, as I wait anxiously for immediate healing—but know everything happens in His time. I plan to come back to this tomorrow and meditate on those words for my life. ❤️

2. Cindy Mirra says:

So the word “immediate” also struck me from today’s readings but in terms of how when the disciples were called they immediately followed Jesus. May I find the strength to always immediately follow him!!

3. Jennifer Duggan says:

Two things struck me here — how I selfishly want things immediately — but I’m
    Not so sure that when God commands me — I’m really all that immmediate…I need to remember that — and be better — and overall more trusting

Second, I was stuck by people taking the roof off of Jesus’ dwelling to bring someone to Him for healing. What struck me about it was for the first time — I realized at this point — Jesus literally had NO privacy — and for a regular person that would have been insane! Fame does stuff to people — but Jesus never complained and took the service in stride. Just wow.

4. Jennifer Duggan says:

Two things struck me here — how I selfishly want things immediately — but I’m

5. Jennifer Duggan says:

Two things struck me here — how I selfishly want things immediately — but I’m

6. Foster Mama says:

Hello my Sisters,

I am a day behind with my reading and several days behind re: comments (and have been thinking about a few of you in particular so wanting an update)…

But WOW!! What a meditation today!!! Oh @ YANA CONNER …you pierced right through to my heart ❤️. God bless

7. JoyV says:

Today’s scripture and devotional were full of good thoughts but the comments of everyone responding blew me away. I get so much encouragement from all the comments that are shared. Some of you really open your hearts and share what is there, good, bad, and everything in between. Some of you share such wisdom. Some of you share what you are learning from other studies and sources. Some of you are so raw and honest about your doubts, your sins, your fears. All of your comments are nuggets of gold reaching out and touching others.

8. Sara m says:

Thank you, Yana. I needed your authenticity and rawness today more than I did encouragement. I needed to feel solidarity in the waiting. Thank you