Day 19

Jesus Christ Is the Same Forever

from the Hebrews reading plan

Hebrews 13:1-25, Joshua 1:5-9, Matthew 25:34-40, Revelation 1:8

BY Seana Scott

So much has changed in my life in the last ten years. My mom slipped into the other side of eternity, we moved cities five times and added two children. All the change sometimes feels like a spinning ride at the fair—constant movement with no certain reference point—whirling circles that sometimes leave my soul feeling nauseous.

But as life spins me around, I’m learning to fix my gaze on the unchanging reality of Jesus Christ. Everything else I depend on for a sense of wholeness shifts. Fades. Dies. A parent’s departure or money dwindles as gas prices peak, and my trust in God’s character becomes my stabling agent—my constant. God remains the same yesterday, today, and forever (Hebrews 13:8).

What feels like spinning circles in your life?

I think maybe God led the writer of Hebrews to remind readers of God’s never changing character because we all face instability. The first-century Jewish believers maybe even more so. Their whole faith system spun on its head. They no longer needed the temple sacrifices. They no longer needed to live bound to their religious laws. They no longer needed to hope to hear from a prophet. Jesus was greater than all these things. Generations of religious history twirled on the point of Christ like a dreidel. Their fixed reference point of following the law spun to a new reference point, following Christ (Joshua 1:5–9, Matthew 25:35–40).

What is your reference point these days? What do you focus on?

Part of what sometimes spins us in circles spiritually is social media. We hear all kinds of thoughts on who Jesus is—what it means to follow Christ—the kind of life we can “claim” as believers. It can be easy to have our faith spun in circles based on half-truths. Maybe our reference point for truth and wholeness sometimes needs refocusing. The author of Hebrews encourages readers not to be led astray by various kinds of teachings, and to be established by grace rather than following certain religious regulations (Hebrews 13:9). Are we led astray by various kinds of teachings or trying to keep up to our own version of regulations?

Sometimes I am distracted. Sometimes my soul is weary from it all, and I sit on my back deck, stare at the trees, and cry. And the Spirit of God reminds me of His peace “through the blood of the everlasting covenant” of Christ and reminds me of His will for me (Hebrews 13:20–21). And I can see my reference point again—the unchanging, steadfast God of the universe who is with me and always will be (Joshua 1:9). My soul stops spinning. And I can follow Him again.

50 thoughts on "Jesus Christ Is the Same Forever"

1. L Maddox says:

The Lord is teaching me and training me to fix my focus on Jesus and His sure return. Today’s words really resonated with me in a season of life as a newlywed, military wife, and figuring out upcoming transitions of moving (again), transitioning jobs, and first time home buying. So much is happening, but I am reminded that none of this on earth is my stability. We were never meant to be stable on earth! Praise God for the eternal stability we’ll have with him!

2. Jessica Fehland says:

Thankful for this study! ❤️

3. Alayna P. says:

I’ve enjoyed this study alongside Leviticus so much. I feel closer to God. So thankful for our God who is the same yesterday, today and forever ❤️

4. Sarah D. says:

Praying for you all!! Thank you all for your prayers for me. I am so thankful for She Reads Truth and the community we have here. Excited for the upcoming Advent season, it’s always such a fun time with SRT.

5. Jennifer Anapol says:

I think my reference point has been me. It has been my image and the way I look. I want to maintain a certain look and since having a baby two months ago, certain parts of myself are Not the same as they once were. I want to live in a place where I can be content with who I am because God says I am fearfully and wonderfully made.

6. Mercy says:

Being strong and courageous is not a simple suggestion offered by the Word of God, for “just in case” moments. It is a mandatory commandment for a godly character we ought to have if we are to walk on this earth, to wrestle with a cunning devil and a deceived human race whose hearts are full of deceits (“The human heart is the most deceitful of all things, and desperately wicked. Who really knows how bad it is?” Jeremiah 17:9). The Lord is kind, the Lord is long suffering toward His children. He was like that yesterday, today and forever. We were lost, blind, and pleasure-seeking, but with a new heart and a new spirit, we are on our way to be God-seeking, being renewed day by day, through the Alpha and Omega. The Lord gives us hopes, the imagination of what is to come, by the power of His Holy Spirit, we could see glimpses of what no eyes have ever seen, ears have ever heard or mind has ever imagined, but we are revealed the truth by the imagination of hope that keeps us going. Is He not the God that calls things that are not as if they were? Yes He is, still now and ongoing. Does our imagination has a sure foundation to rest on or is it delusional? He calls me strong though I am weak, He calls me healed though I am still hurting, He calls me redeemed though I am still bearing the loss. Who will believe the report of the Lord? Maya Angelou (a civil right activist) quotes this, “Courage is the most important of all the virtues, because without courage you can’t practice any other virtue consistently. You can practice any virtue erratically, but nothing consistently without courage”. Have courage to face the unknown, even the courage to face ourselves and our true conditions. Have courage to know we win with God on our side (The Lord is within her, she will not fall-Psalm 46:5). If any day finds us shrink back in fear, we know Who to ask for more courage to go back out there and conquer. Courage is a godly virtue we need to identify ourselves with (as Joshua has to learn to identify himself with). The race of Christian life is a meaningful one, but it is like an obstacle course that will require much courage, strength, hope and joy to endure (this reminds me of the American Ninja Warrior show for some reason- excuse my sidetrack). However, there is an art to run the race so that you won’t exhaust yourself, and that is called grace. Grace is the most beautiful art of all from the Author of Life, the Author & Finisher of our faith. Grace is designed for times of desperate needs, not for peaceful and happy times, and is sufficient for all weaknesses. By that grace, we can approach God – who is the source of all things-to get more supplies of what virtues we may need to run this race victoriously without exhausting ourselves. I used to tell my husband, you get exhausted so often because you haven’t learnt how to run on God’s gas. I am still learning this art and I think it’s the greatest discovery for my walk with God. Run your race on God’s gas. After all, the glory is for Him, the sacrifice of our thanksgiving is for Him, and this race is dedicated for Him and authored by Him. He will provide the gas/fuel that we need to finish it for Him. Lifting our sisters and their struggles in prayers (I am giving you a big hug and if I may sit with you in silence). May the God of all grace be with you, sit with you in these moments of life, to fulfil this verse “Is anything too hard for the Lord?”(Genesis 18:14) so it’s no longer just a verse you read on a book but a testimony of your own experiencing. May you all have a lovely weekend. Be blessed dear beautiful sisters.

7. Angie Mills says:

@Taylor

Happy birthday! I, also, am sorry to hear about your breakup. I also wanted to give you some encouragement.

I am a 45-year old single lady. I desired a husband for a long time. No one ever asked me out on a date. I tried a reputable online matching site and was matched with someone. We talked over the phone and emailed, but when we met in real life it es a disaster. On the way home, I thought about the women of faith that I almost admired throughout history and they were all single!

Although I want a husband, my greater desire is to be used by the Lord. I have so much more freedom to do so as a single person.

About ten years ago, my young niece noticed that her mom had her dad and her grandmother had her grandfather. She innocently asked me if I was happy. When I asked her why she asked me that, she said that I didn’t have any one like her mom or grandmother did. I responded that I have Jesus and with Him I am happy. I decided then and there that if the Lord had me single just to let the girls that I come into contact with that they can still be a complete person with Jesus and no husband, then I am happy to fill that role.

I pray that the Lord would show you the desire He has for your life. Keep listening. Keep walking with Him. Keep trusting Him. He will make it clear what He wants for you.
    May His grace continue to be evident in your life.

8. Angie Mills says:

Grace be with you all. — Hebrews 13:25

Grace.

From blueletterBible.org, outline of Biblical usage for Hebrews 13:25:

Good will. Loving-kindness. Favor.
    Of the merciful kindness by which God, exerting his holy influence upon souls, turns them to Christ, keeps, strengthens, increases them in Christian faith, knowledge, affection, and kindles them to the exercise of the Christian virtues.

God’s grace is with us! How has God shown us His grace in this book of Hebrews? Through Jesus!

J. Vernon McGee’s outline for the book of Hebrews does such a good job of summarizing Jesus’ work in this book. You can find that outline and a commentary for it. Look for it by searching J. Vernon McGee Hebrews Outline in an online search engine.

Consider all the ways that God has shown His grace to us through His Son in this book. We have also seen how God is faithful to us throughout this book. Even the discipline He gives us is His grace to us because it shows His love for us and it produces the fruits of peace and righteousness in us.

God gives us so much grace. Let us be thankful in awe and reverence for His great grace and worship Him alone.