Day 19

Jesus Christ Is the Same Forever

from the Hebrews reading plan

Hebrews 13:1-25, Joshua 1:5-9, Matthew 25:34-40, Revelation 1:8

BY Seana Scott

So much has changed in my life in the last ten years. My mom slipped into the other side of eternity, we moved cities five times and added two children. All the change sometimes feels like a spinning ride at the fair—constant movement with no certain reference point—whirling circles that sometimes leave my soul feeling nauseous.

But as life spins me around, I’m learning to fix my gaze on the unchanging reality of Jesus Christ. Everything else I depend on for a sense of wholeness shifts. Fades. Dies. A parent’s departure or money dwindles as gas prices peak, and my trust in God’s character becomes my stabling agent—my constant. God remains the same yesterday, today, and forever (Hebrews 13:8).

What feels like spinning circles in your life?

I think maybe God led the writer of Hebrews to remind readers of God’s never changing character because we all face instability. The first-century Jewish believers maybe even more so. Their whole faith system spun on its head. They no longer needed the temple sacrifices. They no longer needed to live bound to their religious laws. They no longer needed to hope to hear from a prophet. Jesus was greater than all these things. Generations of religious history twirled on the point of Christ like a dreidel. Their fixed reference point of following the law spun to a new reference point, following Christ (Joshua 1:5–9, Matthew 25:35–40).

What is your reference point these days? What do you focus on?

Part of what sometimes spins us in circles spiritually is social media. We hear all kinds of thoughts on who Jesus is—what it means to follow Christ—the kind of life we can “claim” as believers. It can be easy to have our faith spun in circles based on half-truths. Maybe our reference point for truth and wholeness sometimes needs refocusing. The author of Hebrews encourages readers not to be led astray by various kinds of teachings, and to be established by grace rather than following certain religious regulations (Hebrews 13:9). Are we led astray by various kinds of teachings or trying to keep up to our own version of regulations?

Sometimes I am distracted. Sometimes my soul is weary from it all, and I sit on my back deck, stare at the trees, and cry. And the Spirit of God reminds me of His peace “through the blood of the everlasting covenant” of Christ and reminds me of His will for me (Hebrews 13:20–21). And I can see my reference point again—the unchanging, steadfast God of the universe who is with me and always will be (Joshua 1:9). My soul stops spinning. And I can follow Him again.

50 thoughts on "Jesus Christ Is the Same Forever"

1. Susan says:

Sisters, praying for each need that was mentioned as I read. I was speaking to a dear friend yesterday. She was sharing comfort and scripture with me. She reminded me that we seldom get to see our prayers go to completion. That Sunday many years ago we heard the same sermon on Ez.37. The same Holy Spirit prompted us to pray those words over my son Andy. We prayed and continued praying, even when we saw nothing. BUT GOD, was working and bringing life from dead bones in Andy. Through the years we got to watch the change and his service to the Lord. She reminded me as I cried, that we got to witness the completion of those prayers…home with Jesus! Not in the time I would have chosen, but in my Father’s time, which is always right. Ladies, keep crying out to the Lord! He hears, He knows and He is faithful! Whether it is marriage,loss, relationships…anything…cry out to Him. I’m preaching to myself!

2. Kimberly Z says:

@Grace praying for you during this time! I pray you always remember your worth comes from Jesus Christ and you can feel the Holy Spirit within you. @Taylor praying for you and your heart during time! As a fellow single girl I understand the emptiness you can sometimes feel. God has a plan for you just like he has one for me. Happy early birthday!

3. Lexi B says:

Churchmouse, Arina, Grace B, Maryann: praying for you. Praying for peace and Gods comfort as you move through these trials. He’s always near.

Joanna: praying for a successful interview for you today!

Taylor: Happy Birthday! Sorry to hear about your breakup. I understand the desire for marriage (I’m right there with ya). Praying for your heart and peace in the waiting. ❤️

4. Rhonda J. says:

@ Mary Ann Graves- I just wanted to share a praise with you about alcohol in my life! I have drank a glass (at most a glass and a half) EVERY night for many, many years! Not only did I like it to pair with my food, but it also was a bonus at the end of a day, and a comfort and aid to my back pain. But over the last few years I have really felt convicted to stop, for it seemed everyone around me loves alcohol and find it the center of every meal out or every meeting at the pool, in others words it seems to be what everyone revolves around here in paradise (and everywhere) to escape the problems of the world! Now I know there is an acceptance of moderate drinking in the Christian community, but I kept hearing programs renouncing it as not something Christians need to be doing. So this past January I fasted with my church for the coming year. Do you know I WAS DONE with wine at that point?! I took a few sips and it no longer tasted good! I have since no longer want it to be part of my life! Now I did order it at dinner the other night with my husband and a friend in town visiting…but it just no longer taste good and I threw most of it away! AND…I have not had a migraine since January!! What a praise! God knows what is best for us, soul, spirit, and BODY!! God provides, and takes away if we ask!! I still have a struggle with judging my husband for his drinking but remember that it is not mine to wrestle with, it is for him. (although if it was harmful to himself, me, or others it would be for me to deal with!) But we change ourself, God sanctifies us to grow more like Him. It may be slow, or sudden like in my case and many others, but turn it over as many times as it takes!! Praying for you my sister!!

5. Angie Mills says:

Grace be with you all. — Hebrews 13:25

Grace.

From blueletterBible.org, outline of Biblical usage for Hebrews 13:25:

Good will. Loving-kindness. Favor.
    Of the merciful kindness by which God, exerting his holy influence upon souls, turns them to Christ, keeps, strengthens, increases them in Christian faith, knowledge, affection, and kindles them to the exercise of the Christian virtues.

God’s grace is with us! How has God shown us His grace in this book of Hebrews? Through Jesus!

J. Vernon McGee’s outline for the book of Hebrews does such a good job of summarizing Jesus’ work in this book. You can find that outline and a commentary for it here:

Consider all the ways that God has shown His grace to us through His Son in this book. We have also seen how God is faithful to us throughout this book. Even the discipline He gives us is His grace to us because it shows His love for us and it produces the fruits of peace and righteousness in us.

God gives us so much grace. Let us be thankful in awe and reverence for His great grace and worship Him alone.

6. Michelle Patire says:

Jesucristo es el mismo ayer, y hoy, y por los siglos.

Hebrews 13:8

I saw this in Spanish translation during my study. I’m not fluent but I like to learn little bits in case I meet a Spanish person who needs encouragement.

7. Michelle Patire says:

There are two Michelle’s with two LL’s lol! Hi other Michelle! :) good to see you posting regularly.

Happy birthday tomorrow @Taylor! I can relate to waiting on the Lord for marriage. Remember, God is your inheritance and He also withholds no good thing. He will bless you in His perfect will. Believing these words for myself and speaking them over you. May He heal your hurt and give you joy on this birthday weekend. Be blessed, He who formed you knows your hearts greatest needs. May you feel Him near you.

@Mary Ann Graves — thank you for sharing. I pray you confess your weaknesses with the community around you, as well. We are the body and we are here to bear each other’s burdens. You are not alone and may God give you grace upon grace and good direction to find help or counsel. You have brought it into the light and God will strengthen you and deliver you. You are not a slave, but a daughter of the King and He will sustain you.

8. Syd, Lucie says:

Beautifully Written – thank you for the encouragement:)