Jesus Christ Is the Same Forever

Open Your Bible

Hebrews 13:1-25, Joshua 1:5-9, Matthew 25:34-40, Revelation 1:8

So much has changed in my life in the last ten years. My mom slipped into the other side of eternity, we moved cities five times and added two children. All the change sometimes feels like a spinning ride at the fair—constant movement with no certain reference point—whirling circles that sometimes leave my soul feeling nauseous.

But as life spins me around, I’m learning to fix my gaze on the unchanging reality of Jesus Christ. Everything else I depend on for a sense of wholeness shifts. Fades. Dies. A parent’s departure or money dwindles as gas prices peak, and my trust in God’s character becomes my stabling agent—my constant. God remains the same yesterday, today, and forever (Hebrews 13:8).

What feels like spinning circles in your life?

I think maybe God led the writer of Hebrews to remind readers of God’s never changing character because we all face instability. The first-century Jewish believers maybe even more so. Their whole faith system spun on its head. They no longer needed the temple sacrifices. They no longer needed to live bound to their religious laws. They no longer needed to hope to hear from a prophet. Jesus was greater than all these things. Generations of religious history twirled on the point of Christ like a dreidel. Their fixed reference point of following the law spun to a new reference point, following Christ (Joshua 1:5–9, Matthew 25:35–40).

What is your reference point these days? What do you focus on?

Part of what sometimes spins us in circles spiritually is social media. We hear all kinds of thoughts on who Jesus is—what it means to follow Christ—the kind of life we can “claim” as believers. It can be easy to have our faith spun in circles based on half-truths. Maybe our reference point for truth and wholeness sometimes needs refocusing. The author of Hebrews encourages readers not to be led astray by various kinds of teachings, and to be established by grace rather than following certain religious regulations (Hebrews 13:9). Are we led astray by various kinds of teachings or trying to keep up to our own version of regulations?

Sometimes I am distracted. Sometimes my soul is weary from it all, and I sit on my back deck, stare at the trees, and cry. And the Spirit of God reminds me of His peace “through the blood of the everlasting covenant” of Christ and reminds me of His will for me (Hebrews 13:20–21). And I can see my reference point again—the unchanging, steadfast God of the universe who is with me and always will be (Joshua 1:9). My soul stops spinning. And I can follow Him again.

(50) Comments
[x]

50 thoughts on "Jesus Christ Is the Same Forever"

1. Sharon, Jersey Girl says:

One other prayer for @Mary Ann Graves – praying that the Holy Spirit, who lives within you, will give you the power to overcome your addiction to wine. Alcohol can have a strong hold on a person – but God is stronger, God is greater, He is healer and awesome in power! I am confident you can do this through Jesus Christ, who gives us strength. Philippians 4:13

2. Sharon, Jersey Girl says:

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever. (Hebrews 13:8) What a comforting thought. I think of all the ways I have changed over the years – sometimes the changes were not so good – other times they were very good. My moods change (sometimes) by the hour! My thoughts are ever changing. Praise God that He is constant, never changing always the same! His mercy and grace are abundant! All glory to God!!

@Sharon Jones – welcome! It’s always nice to “meet” new SRT sisters! Prayers & praise for your daughter as she comes out on the other side of cancer!
    @Grace B – Praying that God will give you grace and strength and that He will not only save your marriage, but completely restore your relationship with your husband and his relationship with Christ.
    @Searching – praying for Shannon’s family and for mom who’s having by pass surgery.
    @Taylor – Happy Birthday! I am so sorry to hear of your break-up. I have been following your story and praying for you for quite some time now. May God give you grace as you heal and go forward. And may He, in His time bring the perfect special someone into your life… I am happy to hear you have your weekend of celebrations planned out. Enjoy every minute of celebrating the wonderful you God has created! (Psalm 139:13-14)

Wishing everyone a wonderful weekend!

3. Cass McKinney says:

thank you Seana Scott for this word… I loved reading this book with the SRT community, and the message is always insightful. This one really hit today. I often sit on my back deck and just listen for the Lord to come through the trees, with tears in my eyes, weak and weary. but the this message is just the reminder I needed for this day

4. Kristyn Mohrmann says:

Such a great reading today! A good reminder to keep my focus on Jesus.

5. Jennifer Lamb says:

Will be praying for you Grace. I’ve been through this in my marriage too and I know the physical, spiritual, and emotional toll it takes on you. Praying for wisdom, strength and peace as you walk through this season.

6. Jackie says:

Yes, the only stability in my life is God. These days I feel I am hanging on to Him for dear life as everything around me spins out of control. Thank God for His unchanging ways.

7. Rhonda J. says:

Welcome Sharon Jones, I love your introduction to learn a little about you! You will love reading and being a part of SRT and the She’s!!

I am sad Hebrews is over and I wish I could read it every day, such good truth and balm for my soul!

Prayers for you Grace, stay strong and know your worth is in our Lord and Saviour, although betrayal from our spouse is so hurtful. I have been there and had to move forward through divorce, which was very painful.

Hoping you She’s have a fantastic Wkd and draw close to the One who knows us like no other.

8. Rebecca says:

Happy birthday to Taylor! Enjoy your fun weekend!