Joseph’s Kindness

from the Genesis reading plan

Genesis 49:1-33, Genesis 50:1-26, Isaiah 55:8-9, Romans 8:28-30

BY Erin Davis

At the end of the day, and the end of our lives, we all want to be carried home.

Israel experienced the dysfunction and joy of family (Genesis 28 and 29), life and death (Genesis 29–30, 35:18), abundance and famine (Genesis 30 and 42). He wrestled with God and walked with Him.

There is typography to all of our lives, highs and lows, peaks and valleys, times when God’s blessings flow like roaring rivers, and times when they seem like a barely trickling brook. Each individual moment, experience, or circumstance is just a snapshot; only God has the 10,000 foot view. And at every elevation, He is wooing us back toward home.

Though Israel met the love of his life and experienced smashing success in Haran, he never stopped thinking about Canaan. Though his children and grandchildren put down deep roots in Egypt, he never shook the pull of home. After calling them to himself to offer one final blessing over each of them, he gave instructions for his own burial—not in Egypt, where Joseph was interred, but with his forefathers, in the cave found in a field, in the land of Canaan (Genesis 49:29–30). He told them: “This is the field Abraham purchased from Ephron the Hethite as burial property. Abraham and his wife Sarah are buried there, Isaac and his wife Rebekah are buried there, and I buried Leah there’” (Genesis 49:29–31). Israel wanted to rest with his people.

Whether we are in a moment of success or failure, whether we find ourselves deeply rooted or adrift, whether in the highest of highs or the lowest of lows—our hearts ache for our true and future home. There is a longing, placed deep inside of each one of us, not for the land of our fathers, but the land of the Father. We know, deep down in our guts, that eternity with Him is where we belong.

Israel’s ache exists in each one of us. Like him, we want to know that we won’t have to stay forever in this foreign, broken land. In every peak and every valley, we can cling to this hope: in Christ, our homesickness will be satisfied. Someday soon—it won’t be long now—we, too, will be carried home.

37 thoughts on "Joseph’s Kindness"

1. Angi Morrison says:

This made me think about my dad. My parents lived in South Georgia where I was born most of their lives. They retired to a town in north Georgia for several years. After my mom died she was buried back in my hometown where my brothers were buried as well. After a few short my months my dad wanted to go back home to spend his last 7 years, back home close to his family. He lived those 7 years to the fullest, but there was definitely a part of him those last few weeks that were now longing for his eternal home.

2. Lisa says:

Thank you for this work you’re doing! I was introduced to She Reads Truth through AnniE F. Downs podcast and began studying with you with the Advent book. For Christmas I was gifted the SRT Bible and for the first time in my 46 years I’m consistently reading God’s Word daily. Today’s study wraps up beautifully by listening to Almost Home by Mercy Me! Truth sung resonates with me more than anything and throughout this study of Genesis so many songs have been my soundtrack, paralleling the stories in Genesis. It’s been fun, and cathartic to sing praises along with the truth being read. Thanks for blazing the trail for us!

1. Camille English Davis says:

❤️

3. Gina says:

I have always enjoyed the stories of the Pentateuch, but I am not sure if I have ever read Genesis cover to cover before. This has been awesome! I was so excited to see a prophecy of Jesus’s coming in Genesis 49. Thanks so much! This has been a great study!!!

4. Tina says:

My stepfather, a couple of years ago, gave some money to my brother with instructions on his burial when the time came.. BACK HOME!
    He has lived here for over 60years, studied, married had 6 children has 12 grands, and 9 greats..and yet the request is to carry him home to the land of his birth and roots..
    My siblings have tried to reason with him, but that is his wish.. and the cantankerous old man is not budging..

I think this is a generational thing, as in our fathers, fathers, fathers thing.. we are a lot more transient now, settling and living away from our homeland and family..and making ‘new’ lives for ourselves.

Home is where the heart is.. comes to mind as I write, and home to me right now is where eternity is.. my forever home.. a place Jesus is preparing for me… a place of no pain of this world, a place where tears are no more..a place of no need… for anything.. a place, sisters, where we will meet over coffee, tea, lattes.. a place we will not need virtual hugs, but the real deal..

For now home is the bricks and mortar I live in, where my beloved here on earth have made memories.. but I know the best is to come… Amen..!

Happy Happy Friday sisters…❤

5. Carol says:

Awesome study! Can’t wait for the next one.

6. Mari V says:

I long for that day when I see my Jesus face to face. I think about this pretty much daily. In those quiet moments and how I long to be HOME! Away from all the problems, heartaches, the unknown. Then I start to think about my two beautiful children and what will happen to them. It brings me great joy that they both love Jesus! While I long to be HOME with my Jesus I’m grateful that I am here for both of my kids. My human nature gets concerned for their wellbeing and that’s when I have to trust my God, the God who gave me my two beautiful children that HE will take care of them.

7. Dinahrae says:

I love that thinking Churchmouse. The disease lost and she won! This was a great study SRT. Looking forward to the next one.

8. Ramona says:

Courtmouse, you are so right. She has won over that disease and won her battle here. Her rewards are external.