Day 3

Habakkuk’s Prayers

Habakkuk 1:1-17, Psalm 13:1-6, Acts 13:40-41

BY Guest Writer

Scripture Reading: Habakkuk 1:1-17, Psalm 13:1-6, Acts 13:40-41

It wasn’t until I was in college studying grammar and literature that I realized something: the word “wait” is an action verb. Something is happening, something is in motion—even when the word itself implies stasis. To wait on someone means to serve them by being actively present, even without words. In Habakkuk 1, waiting abounds. The people of God are waiting for an answer, and God is waiting until the time is right. Neither wait is wrong, still, or without action.

Habakkuk says the law is “paralyzed, and justice never goes forth” (1:4, ESV). To God’s people, it feels as though they are stuck in the perpetual motion of law-keeping, not seeing any hope of the future God has promised them. They stand, waiting and begging, imploring the God of the universe to hear and answer and save.

God is also waiting, and His waiting is perfect within His predetermined time. He is not being pushed to any limit, and He is not worried about being too early or too late. He is present, even though He may appear silent. And His waiting is good, even though it may feel punitive to His people.

I’m sure you’re waiting for something today. Just in the time I’ve written these last three paragraphs, three different individuals I know walked up to me here, at the coffee shop where I’m working. Each lamented different things they have begged God to see and act on, yet they feel He has remained silent toward their suffering.

I am waiting for things, too. We are all waiting for something, and it can be very tempting to believe we are the only ones waiting. We can feel paralyzed in the waiting, left feeling that God is either ignorant of our pleas or intentionally avoiding an answer for us. But wait is a verb, and it is not one without action. God is at work in your waiting, and you are at work in it, too. Cry out to Him like Habakkuk, asking:

“How long, LORD, must I call for help
and you do not listen
or cry out to you about violence
and you do not save?” (v.2).

Do not be afraid to bring Him your questions and emotion. God can handle your fear. He is rock solid and unchanging, but He is also acting, right now, on behalf of His children.

SRT-MP-instagram3

Lore Ferguson Wilbert is a writer, thinker, and learner. She blogs at Sayable, and tweets and instagrams at @lorewilbert. She has a husband named Nate, a puppy named Harper Nelle, and too many books to read in one lifetime.

128 thoughts on "Habakkuk’s Prayers"

1. Kathryn Green says:

This was really good, thank you. And the timing of this message is, as usual with our wonderful and perfect God, uncannily right on time. Thank You. I will sing the Lord’s praises for He has been good to me.

2. Janna Jackson says:

Waiting is such a temporal term. What is a long time to one person may be a relatively short for another. There are some things in my life that I feel like I am waiting on or hoping to see fulfilled. God is sovereign and his timetable and plan is so much better than what I could make up. The Christian life in any season is full of abiding in Jesus, obeying His Word and in trusting him. If I don’t focus on the waiting but change my perspective…oh how my outlook would change.

1. Laurie Crary says:

Thank you for these encouraging words. Bless.

3. Naomi says:

I’ve recently had back surgery and this has taught me so much about myself. How I like to do things myself, how I like to be incontrol but this is a time of healing a time of waiting. Waiting for the scars to heal. Waiting on God for his direction as changes in management occur at my work while I heal. Waiting to see how my body responds to the surgery long term. I am beginning to understand that waiting is an active verb as you so clearly explained. In this time it means stilling myself and letting go of my ambitions trusting God that he will hold all things together and that it will work according to his plans and not mine.

4. Abigail S says:

Needed this today.

5. Tess Rhue says:

I desperately needed to read this today, and to be reminded of God’s grace and love. I, too, am currently struggling while in my waiting period while working for a company that is shady, unfair and terrible to their employees. I struggle daily with having to work for these people, but God continues to tell me to keep showing them the love of Christ. So I do. Day after day while I pray and patiently wait on God to deliver me out of it. It’s so hard and can definitely feel at times so lonely.

6. Sarina says:

I too find myself in the waiting period since long. I’m waiting for my children to come back to the Lord. I know God is in control and He is working. Please pray.

7. Emily Jacobs says:

For a lot of my life I have been in a season of waiting for a boyfriend. I have always had the desire to be in a relationship with a Godly man who loves the Lord above all else and treats me right. This past January, I finally got that after years of waiting. I sincerely thought he was the man I was going to marry, but then in August he broke up with me. And I was absolutely devastated. I couldn’t tell you how many times in the past few months I have cried out to God, wondering where on earth He is and why He would let me go through such pain and heartache. But recently I have begun to realize that pain and heartache are inevitable in this broken world…The amazing thing about God is that He is turning my pain into something good. His plan for my life is still good, despite my broken heart, and He will use this season of pain for His ultimate good. Even though I don’t know why this happened, I know that He has a reason and that His plan is wayyy better than what I have planned for myself. So here’s to trusting God in another season of waiting, knowing that even when my circumstances constantly change, His faithfulness and goodness will ALWAYS remain.

1. Sarah Cortez says:

You are so strong Emily! I pray that the Holy Spirit guides you in the path that God has set for you.

2. Laurie Crary says:

Blessings.

8. Yahira Konwent says:

It’s easy to think of waiting in a negative light, but waiting can also be beautiful. God is doing wonderful things for my family right now, yet we have constantly gone from one waiting season to another. Waiting for ‘the’ job opportunity to move. Waiting for our house to sell. Waiting to re-establish in our new town. Waiting. I remind myself each day that God has already gone before us, so even though our future is unknown (which can be scary) to me, He already knows!!