Grace Day

from the Advent 2019: A Thrill of Hope reading plan

2 Corinthians 8:9

BY She Reads Truth

Advent is a season of anticipation and celebration. The weary world rejoices at the Messiah’s first advent, even as we long for His return. Use this day to pray, rest, and reflect on the hope we have because Christ left the glories of heaven to be born in Bethlehem.

For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ: Though he was rich, for your sake he became poor, so that by his poverty you might become rich.
—2 Corinthians 8:9

20 thoughts on "Grace Day"

1. Mari V says:

I am rich!! I am rich because I’m the child of the KING!!
    I am so enjoying this time with all of you. It’s what keeps me going and I crave and anticipate each morning to be here with all of you. I can’t even sleep in LOL!Thank you all for praying yesterday. Court went very well! It gets easier each time. Please pray for the next court date January 9. I have lots to do before that date.

2. Abby says:

I 100% love these Advent readings. I love taking my advent book with me to catch up on readings I may have missed during the week. Plus the podcasts that coordinate each week have been super informative. Merry Christmas!

3. Diana Fleenor says:

Judy, I agree with you that the focus on Jesus, the one we are celebrating, in these devotions has brought my soul to a greater place of celebration, longing and awe of our Lord. Though encouraging us to slow down during the holidays ia a good thing, may it be in order for us to know and celebrate him more fully rather than just a stress reliever. I’m so glad to be reminded today of this amazing grace of Christ Jesus, the royal Son of God, to become poor so that we may gain eternal riches. May our hearts wonder at this today and every day!

4. Kristen says:

As Churchmouse says, Jesus wasn’t recognized for who He truly was. Reminds me of Isaiah 53: “My servant grew up in the Lord’s presence like a tender green shoot, like a root in dry ground. There was nothing beautiful or majestic about his appearance, nothing to attract us to him. He was despised and rejected— a man of sorrows, acquainted with deepest grief. We turned our backs on him and looked the other way. He was despised, and we did not care. Yet it was our weaknesses he carried; it was our sorrows that weighed him down. And we thought his troubles were a punishment from God, a punishment for his own sins! But he was pierced for our rebellion, crushed for our sins. He was beaten so we could be whole. He was whipped so we could be healed. All of us, like sheep, have strayed away. We have left God’s paths to follow our own. Yet the Lord laid on him the sins of us all. He was oppressed and treated harshly, yet he never said a word. He was led like a lamb to the slaughter. And as a sheep is silent before the shearers, he did not open his mouth. Unjustly condemned, he was led away. No one cared that he died without descendants, that his life was cut short in midstream. But he was struck down for the rebellion of my people. He had done no wrong and had never deceived anyone. But he was buried like a criminal; he was put in a rich man’s grave. But it was the Lord’s good plan to crush him and cause him grief. Yet when his life is made an offering for sin, he will have many descendants. He will enjoy a long life, and the Lord’s good plan will prosper in his hands. When he sees all that is accomplished by his anguish, he will be satisfied. And because of his experience, my righteous servant will make it possible for many to be counted righteous, for he will bear all their sins. I will give him the honors of a victorious soldier, because he exposed himself to death. He was counted among the rebels. He bore the sins of many and interceded for rebels.”
    ‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭53:2-12‬ ‭NLT‬‬
    https://www.bible.com/116/isa.53.2-12.nlt. Just reflecting on this Scripture alone tells how amazing He is. He didn’t come to earth as the best looking or wealthy or powerful person. He didn’t have the earthly qualities that attract people. God’s ways aren’t our ways. He was a man that understood sorry, rejection, and grief. He can sympathize with any situation we go through. He knew how sinful and dirty we are, but was bruised and crushed anyway. That should make us stop and weep or praise, or both! Hallelujah to the Lamb that was slain. He is worthy of all glory, honor, and praise. https://youtu.be/-c6pl6CaiD0

5. Judy says:

So many times when I read Advent readings, they really aren’t about Jesus himself. The readings seem to be more intent on improving oneself for the season. But, your Advent reading is just what I was craving! Thank you so much for posting this so people can enjoy it. (I posted it on my Facebook page so more people could find your website!) Thanks again & bless you!

1. Jill Carr says:

I totally agree! This advent season has been life changing for me… seeing the familiar story through such different lenses… just the Truth of the plan of salvation through Christ from the beginning!

2. Jennifer Anapol says:

I agree as well! It’s great to be reminded of the teal meaning of Christmas when there it’s so easy to be distracted right now.

6. Angie says:

I present my plans and ask for approval – He gives His Spirit providing the blessing of His Presence.
    I present a desire for financial provision – He gives His Son in Relationship
    I present a request for health – He gives Wholeness and Holiness
    And, I am better for it.
    All because Jesus came
    and Gave.
    Thank you Lord.

7. Churchmouse says:

A favorite childhood book is The Prince and the Pauper. The Prince tires of living a secluded life and so exchanges places with a street urchin. Adventures ensure while trying to keep their true identities hidden amidst adapting to their new and unfamiliar lifestyles. Jesus left heaven because He was on mission. His mission wasn’t one of curiosity but salvation. He left behind royalty and took on humanity. Though He retained His divinity, He was fully man on the earth and so experienced what we humans experience. His true identity was not readily recognized. We are indeed street urchins and yet, through Jesus, we have access to all that He has. It’s a mystery we can’t fully fathom but a glorious one. We have an inheritance beyond imagination. We have been adopted into His family, welcomed and accepted. We may look like paupers but we are royal heirs. Praise God from Whom all blessings flow!

1. Sally Burkholder says:

Thank you for wonderful example and description of what Jesus did and does for us and who we are because of His gracious compassion and love for us.

2. Heather Young says:

“We May look like paupers but we are royal heirs.”

Well said.

3. Courtney Hall says:

Church mouse, I always love reading your comments. They are insightful and encouraging. ❤️

8. Mary says:

Good morning! We have loved reading this advent series during our college break. Merry Christmas! -Kiki and Mary

1. K D says: