Faithful As a Son

Open Your Bible

Hebrews 3:1-6, Isaiah 9:6-7, John 3:16-21, Romans 11:1-6

One of my favorite songs to sing out loud to the Lord as a love song is “Who Would’ve Thought” by Donnie McClurkin and Marvin Winans. Not only does their good singing make me immediately want to get out of my seat and dance, but the lyrics send me swooning. In the song, McClurkin and Winans reflect on how their current relationship with God has surpassed anything they could’ve hoped for or imagined, belting out with joy, “Who would’ve thought I’d know [God] this way?”

I think this song resonates with me because my initial view of God was Him as a judge keeping a ledger of all my sin. A stuffy old guy with glasses hanging from the end of His nose, judging my every move. However, with time (and a lot of discipleship), this caricature of God was replaced with a better one—Father. I sincerely never thought it was possible to know God this way.

I imagine the Israelites never thought this kind of relationship with God was possible. Their real-life picture of God was Him in a tent, among them but also set apart and only accessible to a select group of people, the Levites. Though God was committed to them, there were limits surrounding their access to Him because of His holiness. They could only come so close, and even then, they needed a mediator and atoning sacrifice. To them, and rightly so, God was primarily the Holy One to be feared and revered with great honor.

But then Christ enters the story. He became the mediator and atoning sacrifice we all need to have direct relational access to God. Access that allows us to not only experience God as a holy judge, but also as a Father.

In today’s reading, the author of Hebrews invites his brothers and sisters, tempted to abandon their new relationship with God through Christ, to reconsider. He’s like, “sure, reverting to Judaism would potentially make your life better, allowing you to get your old job back and freeing you from the constant fear of losing your home or, worse, your lives. But, consider what you would be giving up—knowing God as Father! How can you turn back to your old way of being with God after coming to know Him this way?”

Been there? When we find ourselves in these moments, considering turning back to old ways for comfort and relief, we need to follow the author’s command and make Jesus the object of our consideration, not our circumstances. Only in considering what He has done for us will we find the strength to persevere. Only in remembering that He has brought us into God’s household as daughters will we not behave as orphans, seeking our own means of deliverance. Only in fixing our eyes on Jesus will we receive the rest that comes with being God’s children under His care.

(69) Comments
[x]

69 thoughts on "Faithful As a Son"

1. Sarah Parsons says:

I needed this today. My spouse told me he is considering leaving due to his lack of motivation in our marriage. Yes in hardship we tend to go to what comforts us, I want to turn to the Great Counselor. He is my source of all joy and strength. The strength I need for our little girl and to recognize my worth in Christ

2. Sarah Parsons says:

3. Erin Contreras says:

I imagine Him as a powerful love force filling me with a light so bright it cannot be ignored. I find true comfort in my morning meditation with God and know, deep in my heart and soul, He is, and always will be, on my side. All I need to do is show up and participate.

4. Lehua K. says:

I woke up much earlier than usual this morning… I was tossing and turning in bed for the past hour, thinking about whether to go back to work today or rest one more day just in case. Then I remembered yesterday’s reading, to focus on Jesus. I also remembered my reading from the book Win the Day, which talks about the many references in the Bible to a “day” (e.g. manna lasted only a day, “give us this day our daily bread,” etc.) and to focus on the present. Instead of fighting sleep and my worried thoughts, I got up, prayed and read today’s devotional.

John 3:16-17 hit me differently today… I am so thankful that we are not condemned, but saved by believing in Jesus. I have not been treating myself with that same grace at all.. I have such high standards and had used that often to condemn myself and beat myself up mentally and emotionally. While I’m not a parent yet, I can imagine how sad our Father must feel when we as believers, knowing the truth of Jesus’ sacrifice, hurt and condemn ourselves so often. I know now that holding myself to a high standard doesn’t mean that I need to engage in shaming or condemning myself when I fall short. I also realize that in a way, unintentionally, I was trying to step in and “play the role of God,” if that makes sense. I was trying my own methods of correcting my behavior instead of trusting God to be the Potter; I am just the clay. Lord, please forgive me – help me to let go of these old habits and to focus on You. Praise Jesus for this insight today.

I never want to go back to who I was before Jesus. I want to keep walking with Him all the days of my life. Thank you ladies for your reflections, thoughtful prayers, encouraging words, and wisdom. Your stories are powerful testimonies of hope, faith, and resilience. I love reading through these comments. Surely much better for me than social media. Blessings to you all today.

5. Lexi B says:

This stuck out to me from the devotion today: “Hardship is a funny thing. It can cause a person to lose all of their sensibilities and reach out for any means of comfort before counting up the cost, forgetting who they are and to whom they belong. It can even cause them to consider giving up the best thing that has ever happened to them.”

Entrepreunership is hard and man oh man,have I considered returning to work for someone else. God is kind tho, and blocks all my attempts to do so when I get fearful about the future. But I am reminded of the people I meet, the relationships God has brought through this journey and I know that this is where He wants me to be. Instead of worrying about everything, I need to remember turn to God and know with everything in me that He knows my need and I am not alone.

Kelsey, welcome! SRT is an amazing community! I’ve been a part of it from the beginning and it has been a pivotal piece in growing my relationship with God.

Susan, thank you for sharing the letter from the man who was with your son in his final momments. So beautiful. Continued prayers for you and your family.

Dorothy- praying for your move with your sister and that it all goes smoothly.

Happy Wednesday She’s!

6. Traci Gendron says:

Oh BUT GOD! In my 20’s I was not living the best life. I sought God in my 30’s. It was healing. I felt so close to God. Although some of my seeking was painful. To look back on my past behavior was not pretty. Then I was reckless once again. I was in a relationship with someone that had lots of issues. He verbally and physically abused me. I won’t go into the horrible details. But I had cried out to God and this man then abused me worse than he ever had. I went numb. I didn’t talk to God anymore. I didn’t blame Him, I just lost my hope. I then realized that God showed me what this man was capable of and I left. I’m might have stayed because I thought that was the Godly thing to do. To not walk out on someone that was “sick”. But he was not a believer and I could not be his savior. I have always regretted that time in my life. And how could I have brought this person into my son’s life?? Nothing is worth turning from our God. Nothing..

7. Mari says:

Good morning sweet SRT sisters. I believe that most of us here have faced at one time or another… Hardship. Times when we felt alone and that no one understood us. For many years I had those moments crying out to God to help me and to know what to do. BUT GOD…. I knew I know WHO I belong and belong to. Even though I felt lonely and scared I know that I know I wasn’t alone. I never want to reconsider return back because that was very lonely and scary. And even when I was going through those hard times I know that Jesus was with me. I am stronger now and I never want go back.

8. Susan says:

Michelle, thank you so much for your words. Thank you to all the She’s who have prayed and shared words of comfort. It really helps. I’m thankful most of all for a faithful Father who is near the broken hearted and gives help and comfort daily. Thank you for being His helpers. As soon as I am able I will share the testimony of Andy turning from the path of destruction to his Jesus.