Day 9

Christ Gives Sight

from the The Miracles of Jesus reading plan

John 9:1-41, Matthew 9:27-31, Mark 10:46-52

BY Guest Writer

Scripture Reading: John 9:1-41, Matthew 9:27-31, Mark 10:46-52

My preschool teacher was the first to notice my vision problems. Her suspicions were confirmed after an appointment with my eye doctor. I had a lazy eye, but the treatment was simple: wear a patch over the dominant eye to force the weak eye to strengthen. As a budding young artist, I relished the opportunity to draw a gorgeous new eyeball on my disposable eye patch each morning. I can only imagine how ridiculous I looked, but at the age of four I had little concern for appearances.

My eyesight was corrected over time. Not surprisingly, the optometrist never pronounced, “Your faith has healed you!” Rather we assumed modern medicine deserved the credit. My physical sight was nearly perfect, but spiritually I remained blind for many years.

Jesus did not heal blindness the same way an ophthalmologist would.

First of all, your eye doctor has most likely never rubbed mud on your eyes. Secondly, I doubt your eye doctor has ever discussed your spiritual sight. In my experience, she has you look through a metal contraption and asks, “Which looks better, number 1 or number 2, number 2 or number 3?” Surely this is one of the most confusing tests known to man, but it has nothing to do with your faith.

While the multiple accounts of Jesus healing blindness did involve a physical transformation, He always acknowledged a spiritual component. Christ was not satisfied with saving the body; He was even more concerned with saving the soul.

Blindness and sight, darkness and light—these are metaphors Christ often used to describe the spiritual realm. When He healed someone of physical blindness, it was also a statement regarding His power to heal spiritual blindness.

Physical healing is a wonderful gift. But if we only ask for relief from our temporary afflictions, we are not asking for enough. Jesus came so that “those who do not see will see and those who do see will become blind” (John 9:39). His miracle of sight is alive in all who believe because salvation is a miracle of resurrection. Our eyes have been opened; we were dead, but now we’re alive in Christ Jesus. Faith in Him is a gift from God (Ephesians 2:1-5,8).

When God gives us spiritual sight, scales fall from our eyes as they did for the Apostle Paul (Acts 9:18). Our circumstances might remain exactly the same, but our perspective shifts. Where there is hopelessness, Christ offers hope. Where there is fear, Christ offers peace. Where there is hatred, Christ offers love.

We are all works in progress. None of us has 20/20 vision just yet. But we know from Jesus’ work on earth that He delights in healing our sight. We ought to pray for physical healing because the Lord cares deeply about our entire well-being. But we should pray also for spiritual sight—the miraculous gift of faith that truly saves us.

SRT-Miracles-Instagram-9s

Kaitie Stoddard is a professional counselor who recently relocated from Chicago to Colorado with her husband. She has her Master’s degree in Clinical Psychology and is passionate about helping couples and families find healing in their relationships. On any given weekend you’re likely to find Katie snowboarding in the Rocky Mountains, checking out new restaurants with friends, or catching up on her favorite Netflix and podcast series.

55 thoughts on "Christ Gives Sight"

1. Kristi says:

I was reading Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World by Joanna Weaver last night and the chapter I was reading actually referenced the story of the blind man in John 9. It was chapter 8, which is called “Lessons from Lazarus” and the story came up under the point “God’s love sometimes tarries for our good and his glory.”

I loved this little excerpt from the chapter and wanted to share:

“Because of a fallen world, a man was born blind. But because of that man, Jesus Christ was glorified.
    We are not pawns on some celestial chessboard, expendable and unimportant. We are cherished and highly loved. ‘Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies?’ Jesus reminds us gently in Luke 12:6-7. ‘Yet not one of them is forgotten by God….Don’t be afraid; you are worth much more than many sparrows.’
    While we may never fully understand why God’s love sometimes lingers, we can rest assured that God’s love is always at work. He may not move according to our schedule, but he is right on time for what is best. And he has our ultimate good forever in mind.”

Any time a Bible story or verse comes up more than once, I know God is telling me to pay attention. I have several loved ones who are in a season of spiritual blindness and it is so easy to become discouraged while praying for their healing. I’m thankful for the reminder that God’s timing is perfect. As we read recently in Isaiah, his hand is not too short to save, and his ear is not too deaf to hear (Isaiah 59:1). Praying that he would deepen my faith while bringing glory to his name.

1. Emily B. says:

That excerpt is great! Thank you for sharing!

1. Michelle says:

Very nice

2. churchmouse says:

Asking this morning that you dear She’s would pray for spiritual sight for my sister Mary. She’s always had trouble with her physical eyes but it is her spiritual darkness that saddens me. She proclaimed that once our parents died, she would have nothing more to do with us siblings (we are 8). My dad passed in August. My mom passed 18 months before that. I invited her to our daughter’s bridal shower. Her reply : “Not attending. No need to send a wedding invitation.” Ouch. I know she is in contact with a couple nephews but… She is still my sister. There is a long standing bitterness that has deep roots. But God… Please pray with me for her to come to see and to know the joy of our Lord. Thank you all

1. She Reads Truth says:

Praying for you sister Mary. Asking the Lord to open her eyes and soften her heart.

– Stormye

2. Gina Jo says:

Praying for you Churchmouse. I also am going through a similar situation with my Mum and siblings. Since my Dad just passed away and we just had his memorial this past Saturday. Everyone went to my Mum’s to visit. I was very reluctant, but ended up going. I’m beginning to see how blind my family really is and how they are still in the darkness on things. I pray God opens up there eyes and hearts to forgiveness, grace, and mercy. At times it seems like a losing battle, since they are not Faith Believing Christians. I pray God also removes the veil so they can see the pain and sin that they are living in. I thank God for his endless mercy towards us, for for SRT for you all have been a strong strength for me in the last month. Thank you ladies for your prayets.

3. Stacy Whitteker says:

Praying for you churchmouse and sister Mary.
      I too am going through a similar situation. My brother was paralyzed 6 years ago. He since has become bitter and does not see the joy and miracles in Christ, because he was not “healed”. Growing up we were a very close family, went to our home church every Sunday, and he later joined another church that fit his needs and views. It seems he began to “fade” from his faith while in college, and continued to drift with age. I can understand the bitterness of being paralyzed, but I wish he could see the other miracles that God has provided him. I thank God every day for the miracle of my brothers life, and that he is still here with us. I pray He can open his eyes spiritually and that my brother can find comfort in the Lord again.

3. Louise says:

I temporarily suddenly lost my eyesight in one eye 18 months ago when my eye haemorraged. I gained sight again after surgery and was diagnosed with an eye condition I didn’t know I had in both eyes. The eye hospital undertook a load of tests to see if there was an underlying nasty cause. When my eyesight came back in my eye I was overwhelmed at the beauty God shows us in this world while we wait for him. And I wrote several pages in my journal of how he had provided help for me quickly from all directions. I’ve learned spiritual lessons from it – how suddenly are we blinded by things that aren’t good for us or lose our spiritual eyesight to take the right path in a situation or see those in need around us? Although I still have the eye condition, I know the condition could be so much worse and I’m so thankful – like our lives if we don’t know or acknowledge God. They eye hospital won’t discharge me yet and I go to see them regularly – they want to keep running tests in case there is any underlying disease that may come to light that needs treating – again a bit like God who shines a light on our sin for our good. And if I ever receive a sudden flare up – I can go to the emergency to receive immediate care – a bit like us when we are suddenly hit by a curveball and we can go to God and receive his tender care and guidance.

1. She Reads Truth says:

Wow! Thank you for sharing, Louise! So grateful for this testimony this morning.

– Stormye

4. Caroline says:

Amen! Thank you Lord that you come after our hearts, not just our bodies. I love that that Jesus is always wanting to go deeper with us.

5. Diane Huntsman says:

Amen! Love this!!

6. Katalina says:

Reading the devotional, i kept thinking that our physical bodies aren’t going up to Heaven with us… but our soul will. Here on Earth, we should pray for physical healing because our bodies are temples, however, spiritual brokenness is what truly needs healing. Physical healing is a door opening to the faith that beings restoration, peace and comfort. It will make you realize maybe there is a deeper part inside you that needs to be remedied. A remedy that is permanent and not just temporary. A faith that is promising and not compromising. “We must learn to have a blind faith without turning a blind eye.”- Katalina G.

7. Cassie Kendall says:

I loved seeing in John 9 how these “Spiritually Perfect” Pharisees are speaking with this former blind man. I love the blind man’s boldness with these men. He is not afraid to stand up for what he knows to be true and make them face their own blindness, since they were the ones that were TRULY blind. How often though do we find ourselves blind!? Blind to what God is doing in our lives and the lives of our loved ones. Blind to the value of that person that seems “less than” or unworthy. Blind to the purposes of our struggles and failures. I pray that we can all overcome our blindness like this poor beggar did and never let ourselves think we have it all figured out and perfect like those Pharisees did.

1. Emily B. says:

Amen!

8. Lindsey says:

“They answered him, ‘You were born entirely in sins, and are you teaching us?’ So they put him out.” John 9:34. The Pharisees’ pride blinded them spiritually… They couldn’t see the Messiah. They wouldn’t see Him. They were looking down on the man who was healed. They felt better than him. And they were blinded. Instead of seeing truth. Instead of seeing the beautiful miracle. They saw nothing. They clung to there dark deception. Lord, help me to see you. Take my pride away that blinds me from your truth.

1. Farah says:

Thank you for this perspective.

1. Paige says:

Thanks for sharing your take on this study. I often come across people in my everyday life whose pride is blinding them from God’s truth…they even profess that they are followers of Christ, yet they refuse to let down their pride and SEE! Thank you for opening my eyes to this perspective!