Building the Temple

Open Your Bible

2 Chronicles 3:1-17, 2 Chronicles 4:1-22, 2 Chronicles 5:1-14, Exodus 26:31-35, Hebrews 9:11-14

After a long day of school, my siblings and I would come home and grab a snack, do our homework (well, some of us), maybe do a chore or two, then argue over the TV for the after-school line-up.

Sibling 1: “It’s 4 o’clock, and I want to watch Arthur.”
Sibling 2: “No one wants to watch that baby show. Let’s watch Ninja Turtles.”
Sibling 3: “No one is about to watch either because I’m about to watch Boy Meets World.”

We bickered endlessly over what to watch on TV, but there were two shows we always agreed on: 106 & Park and MTV Cribs. Oh, the glories of MTV Cribs. The fulfillment you received from being invited into your favorite celebrities’ homes. These homes were not shabby. These homes were what you’d imagine a superstar home to be. It was not uncommon to see a celebrity’s residence have the most outlandish chandelier, 24-karat gold faucet handles, or a petting zoo in the backyard. Their homes were designed to match their prestige status.

The story of King Solomon building the temple for God was even more significant. Solomon offered his best. We might read passages on building the temple and view it as minute; however, every intricate description of the temple was to brag on the glory of God and highlight His holiness and splendor (Exodus 26:31–35, 2Chronicles 3–4). The temple may have been built to serve three purposes: It was a place for God and humanity to commune; It was a place for humanity to worship God; it was a place for humanity to offer sacrifices for the forgiveness of sin.

In the old covenant, the temple served as a cornerstone for the Israelites’ relationship with God. The Israelite priestly representatives had to enter the presence of God on behalf of the people to offer sacrifices for the forgiveness of sin (2Chronicles 5:1–14). It’s difficult to fathom the idea of depending on another sinful human to go before God on our behalf—a human that requires just as much grace. Imagine longing to commune with God and having to wait until you arrive at the temple. Or the anxiety of having the proper sacrifice for the forgiveness of sin.

This was the case before the Holy Spirit indwelled His people. Today, we know a different experience with God under the new covenant. We know Jesus to be the bodily fulfillment of the temple (Hebrews 9:11–14). Our worship is not limited to a specific place, and our forgiveness is not dependent upon our sacrifice or the sacrifice of other humans.

Jesus is the dwelling place for humanity to commune with God. By the shedding of His blood, His death served as the perfect sacrifice for the forgiveness of sin. He is the cornerstone of our relationship with God. Now when we want to pray, sing songs of praise, or confess our sins, we can go boldly in Jesus’s name. Anytime and anyplace.

(40) Comments
[x]

40 thoughts on "Building the Temple"

1. Lisa Z says:

My dear Michelle, I hear your pain. I pray for you His comfort and assurance. I pray He send in folks to minister to your needs and surround you with His almighty, unfaltering love. May the Lord turn toward you and give you peace.

2. Gwineth52 says:

Hello Shes. Had an “aha” moment this morning listening to the podcast with Melissa Zaldivar, writer & podcaster. She spoke to the abundant & awe-inspiring; elaborate & exquisite building of the temple. Helping me see this was ancient construction, enabled by God, for His glory, not through the eyes of modern manpower & machinery. THEN the precision, particularity & point by point description of the process began to make more sense. There needed to be a written record, how to manual, blueprint. Accuracy mattered. Obedience to detail mattered. The opulence: metal basin fashioned like the brim of a cup or a lily blossom; four hundred pomegranates; blue, purple, crimson yarn & fine linen curtain; gold tongs of purest gold. To this day, we honor plans & procedures in church & synagogue exterior & interior design & development & presentation; altar preparation & service; communion; vestments; and much more. While, in most instances, under ordinary circumstances, on the whole, we don’t deal in precious stones & purest gold & polished bronze…we are engaged in ritual consecration & guided by “beauty, goodness & truth” in floral displays & silver chalices. We continuously invoke His holy presence. We glorify Him with our best.
    As the Body of Christ. Selah.

3. Dorothy says:

In today’s Scripture 1Chronicles 4:10 says “Nothing was in the Ark except the two stone tablets that Moses had placed in it at Mount Sinai, where the Lord made a covenant with the people of Israel when they left Egypt.” But if we go back to Exodus 16:33-34 it says “Moses said to Aaron, “Get a jar and fill it with two quarts of manna. Then put it in a sacred place before the Lord to preserve it for all future generations.” 34 Aaron did just as the Lord had commanded Moses. He eventually placed it in the Ark of the Covenant—in front of the stone tablets inscribed with the terms of the covenant.” So what happened to the manna or did they just not mention it?
    Yesterday, I was listening to my church service online, our regular Children’s pastor wasn’t there, she was at home with a sick child, so our senior pastor did the Children’s Minute. We have a tube for the children to put quarters in so they can eventually purchase an animal through the Heifer Project, well the tube was full and the guy in charge of taking care of the money took it to the bank. The kids were wanting to get a pig which was $120, there was $103.94 in the tube — in a tube that was supposed only be for quarters — so the church staff got the other six cents to make it even. Then Pastor Sunday asked a member as she greeted if they had a dollar — she wanted to use it in her service — this member’s wife said I don’t but the member did; but also a lot of other members started saying to Pastor, “I have a dollar” and pulling out a dollar and giving them to her. Well in the end they had more than the $16 they needed to buy the pig…..BUT GOD….ASK AND YOU SHALL RECEIVE.
    Sisters be blessed and know that with God, Christ and the Holy Spirit at your side you can handle anything.

4. Foster Mama says:

❤️ MICHELLE PATIRE ❤️

MARI V ❤️ Praying for Mar 16

SRT SISTERS – small victory seen last week re: the thing that weighs heaviest on my heart….please pray for God to continue in his faithfulness!

5. Cheryl Blow says:

So thankful for Jesus’ sacrifice! Because of it we can come boldly to the throne of grace! I am so thankful for all God has done for me. He gives me what I do not deserve and doesn’t give me what I do deserve! God is good!

6. Pam Stayer says:

I am so thankful we have the ability to approach God at any time! Thank you Jesus for the New Covenant! ❤️

7. Lori Blackwell says:

So thankful for the diagram of Solomon’s temple and to be able to go back and forth and look at it, just sinks in the enormity of the temple.

8. Mari V says:

@Michelle Patire. I’m praying for you right now sweet girl.