A Prayer Celebrating God’s Word

from the Psalms for Prayer reading plan

Psalm 119:1-32

BY Rebecca Faires

Scripture Reading: Psalm 119:1-32

When we lived in town, I would occasionally notice an uncanny quiet in the house, and then realize that one of my little boys had escaped. Every Thursday was trash pick up, and the siren song of the garbage truck often proves too strong for the will of toddler boys. Racing after a child who is wandering down the street—myself dressed only in my best approximation of “this will do”—is a harrowing experience. Since we’ve moved out to the country, my fellas are still entranced by all classes of trucks, but now they line up at the fence and shout their admiration from a safe distance.

You read what makes all the difference, though, right? It’s the fence. In town, all of Franklin, Tennessee, was open to us; it was just a matter of how far we wanted to walk. There was nothing to stop us. But the kids had to stay close to the house. Out in the country, while we only have two acres (my dream come true), they are allowed to enjoy every inch of those acres. The boundary of the fence gives them huge freedom. As long as they stay inside the fence, they are safe.

There is such a joyful freedom in boundaries. Psalm 119 celebrates the gift of God’s law by extolling the beauty and truth of God’s Word. In fact, that’s the primary focus of this psalm—celebrating God’s law and the boundaries it gives. And it’s given as prayer, which means this psalm is a treasure for teaching us how to pray prayers which delight in surrendering to God’s Word and will. God’s law hems in our lives so that when we are lured by garbage trucks, or whatever delights the world has to offer, we can see exactly how we are to respond. There is such safety in knowing where the lines are, instead of huddling close to the house, unsure of how far we can go.

Throughout this psalm, we encounter a series of refrains—“teach me your decrees,” “I love your law,” “I will not forget your law”—which spill out like shouts of joy. The psalmist is so captivated by the goodness of God’s law, that he cannot help but declare it. He sings of God’s law as if were the very air he breathed. God’s law is the law of love, the law of liberty, the law of life. May we find our delight in his degrees! May it frame our every thought, our every breath.

R.C. Sproul calls the law the “school of righteousness.” Within this school, we learn what pleases God and what offends Him. What a severe joy and a mercy it is to have God’s law, to know where to set our sights, where our boundaries lie, and enjoy the wide freedom within His gates.

SRT-PsalmsForPrayer-Shareimage-Day4

93 thoughts on "A Prayer Celebrating God’s Word"

1. Katelyn Olivier says:

Psalm 119:32 “I will run the course of your commandments, for you shall enlarge my heart.” I love this verse because it reminds what walking with God is meant to look like. Each time I read the Word and step out in faith in response to it, God is enlarging my heart. Enlarging it to know and love Him more, to know and love others more, and to desire what God desires.

2. Lonna says:

Like many scriptures, a good process in reading Psalm 119 is to read it, then zoom out and get a birds-eye view of it and then zoom back in and read again. The word of God is not a read and run book, it’s a read and ruminate, while asking for understanding. Although the author of this Psalm isn’t known for sure, the verses listed for reading (1-32) remind me of David. David spent most of his adult life on the lam. Not many periods of his life were spent in peace and tranquility. Some due to his own ill choices, others because of just who he was; a military man, and a man in position of authority. As a result, he used much of his on-the-run prayer time reminding and encouraging himself of the goodness, faithfulness and trustworthiness of God. These verses extol the righteous law and rule of God. It’s like the author is reciting back to God all that He knows to be true about the ways of God, the steadfastness of God, the just laws and decrees of God, and in doing so, encourages himself. Because it is encouraging to know there is no shadow of turning in God. He is absolute. He is just. He is kind. He is merciful. He is love. He is right and true. And now by His Holy Spirit, He dwells in us working out all these true things of Himself. The woman who has been set free by Christ, is truly a free woman! Encourage yourself with these truths and live life in response to these truths.

1. Laurie Crary says:

Well written and true. Thank you Lonna.

3. Emily W says:

Psalm119:4-6 “You have commanded that Your precepts be diligently kept. If only my ways were committed to keeping Your statutes! Then I would not be ashamed when I think about all Your commands.” I giggled a little when I read these verses because I often times feel the same way! I know what blessings come from following God’s commands, and I also know that it honors Him greatly when I do, but why is my heart still led astray?? Connecting heart and head knowledge is a huge part of the Christian walk. Seeing the cause and effect of obedience but also understanding the relationship we have with God and the desire to serve Him in following His ways go hand in hand. Lord, make me more like You each day and give me the desire to follow your commands with great joy, knowing that the boundaries you have established for me are to protect me and bring me freedom.

4. Victoria lewis says:

Freedom within his hedge of protection! Love it.

5. Lisa says:

The things that God forbids, keep us from harm. What a loving Father we have!

6. Jen says:

What a beautiful way to explain God’s laws as not confining but a way to give us protected freedom!

7. Lauren Savory says:

We have the freedom through God’s power to live a victorious Christian life. How wonderful that we are given all the tools in Scripture.

8. Katelyn says:

Hello everyone, my friend Nathan is halfway around the world in a hospital fighting for his life. He can’t move and his organs aren’t functioning properly. Please read the GoFundMe page so you can pray for him better. Thank you❤️

1. Katelyn says: