A Living Hope

from the 1 & 2 Peter reading plan

1 Peter 1:1-12, Exodus 24:3-8, Psalm 51:1-19

BY Erin Davis

I have sepia-toned memories of wearing a pillowcase veil, grabbing a handful of dandelions, and marching my scrawny, little-girl legs down a grassy aisle, pretending to be a bride. To six-year-old me, the wait for my real wedding seemed impossibly long, but that didn’t stop me from actively hoping the day would eventually come. Nearly forty years of hindsight reveals that the gap between the hope and the reality was itty bitty. All too soon, I’d traded in cotton for tulle and weeds for roses in the blink of an eye.

So it is with the promises of Christ. Here, in the first chapter of 1 Peter, the apostle reminds us of our “living hope” (v.3). He doesn’t leave us guessing about what we’re hoping for. Through the resurrection of Christ, we have gained: rebirth and a salvation ready to be revealed, as well as an imperishable, undefiled, unfading inheritance (vv.3–5).

Like a little girl trying to picture her future groom, these promises can look a little fuzzy around the edges. Yes, Christ has saved us, and He is changing us even now, but so much of our hope is in what’s been stored up for us in the future, or as Peter reminds us, what’s being “kept in heaven” for us (v.4).

We have a storehouse of hope. It is the ultimate trust fund, a hope chest full of the promises of God. While we have yet to see our God face to face, we’ve been given the gift of faith to believe in Him, know Him, and love Him now. And we “rejoice with inexpressible and glorious joy,” because even as we await His return, we are receiving the goal of [our] faith, the salvation of [our] souls” (vv.8–9).

Ours is a living and active hope in a living and active God, who has unfathomable blessings in store for His bride. And yet, there are days, lots of them, when our living hope seems to be doing little more than gathering dust. Peter alluded to this early on. We are the “chosen, living as exiles” (v.1). We are chosen, yet sometimes unpopular in this world, never quite at home here. Sometimes our very cells seem to groan for more.

When will we know what it’s like to be made new, fully shedding the broken version of ourselves? How long until the Lord shows His hand, demystifying the “salvation ready to be revealed in the last time”? (v.5). How much longer until we can open the hope chest to touch and feel our imperishable inheritance?

It will happen in the blink of an eye.

You are being guarded by God’s power through faith for salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time. You rejoice in this, even though now for a short time, if necessary, you suffer grief in various trials (vv.5–6).

The gap between this present moment and future glory may seem impossibly large. Still we rejoice. Because we have a hope kept in heaven that can never be destroyed. One day we will trade in the suffering of these “various trials” for the many gifts God has tucked away for us.

It won’t be long now.

That is why, among the people of God, hope will always be alive and well.

86 thoughts on "A Living Hope"

1. Kelsey Henderson says:

He is our living hope. I love that the word living is added because He is real and still moving. Jesus is our living hope!

2. Tiffany AnnGriffin says:

I’ve been lost and I have pushed God away so much and I’m trying to find my way back and I want to find my way back. This helped me realize through it all he is still there. I really needed this.

1. Kim Minugh says:

Praying for you Tiffany! I have pushed God away in the past and HE drew me back.

3. Bonnie Mills says:

We are given the gift of FAITH to believe in Him, know Him, and Love Him NOW!!!Praise the Lord.
    Ours is a living and active Hope in a living and active GOD…I read and read this dovotional. I can see Peter really trying to encourage all the Christians in this time. Thank the Lord he is still encouraging and sharing with us in his word today……Just in a short time a new home…

1. Ashley Lewis says:

Amen! He is a living and active God! Thank you for sharing this ♥️

4. Angie says:

Grace and peace multiplied.
    Faith in a inheritance, imperishable, undefiled, and unfading
    Kept in heaven
    for me.
    By God’s power, a guarded people
    Faith in salvation
    Honoring, praising, glorifying Jesus Christ
    in the Holy Spirit.

Create in me a clean heart.
    Integrity in the inner self,
    Teach me deep wisdom.
    Restore the joy of your salvation
    Give me a willing spirit,
    May the life given me,
    preserved in You
    Bring honor and glory to Your name alone.
    Amen.

1. Precious Frazier says:

Beautifully reiterated!! Thank you!!

2. Angela Shelton says:

❤️

3. Michelle Bowen says:

Amen!

5. Ashley B. says:

I find such peace in the realization that God gives us faith so that we can trust Him. This trust then creates this safe place to be vulnerable and to experience His love.

1. Malin Andrén says:

Wow, thanks for sharing!

1. Niya Staten says:

❤️❤️

2. Jennifer Anapol says:

❤️

6. LeAnn Schmitt says:

After a day full of life’s little “challenges”, what a perfect reminder to remember the hope we have in Christ, and keep the proper perspective on this life.

7. Steph C says:

“You love him even though you have never seen him. Though you do not see him now, you trust him; and you rejoice with a glorious, inexpressible joy” (1 Peter 1:8). God gives the gift of faith which enables me to trust Him. Trust leads to love. Because they have to go hand in hand. You can’t truly love someone you can’t trust! And God’s love and mercy overflows in my heart as glorious, inexpressible joy! He gives me such joy. Only He gives joy. Oh Father, thank you, thank you for your love and mercy that live in and through me!

8. Emily Plemmons says:

God put this in place for me to read tonight. I have been suffering with issues regarding child custody. The lies and horrible things my daughters father says about me and my husband hurt and they are a burden I carry. Knowing these things are just trials and various sufferings that matter none compared to the joy we have coming with the Lord.. that gives me comfort and hope and peace. Praise you Jesus. This is not my home.