God Is Personal

from the Attributes of God reading plan

Exodus 34:29-35, 2 Corinthians 3:7-18, John 14:15-21, Hebrews 1:1-4

BY She Reads Truth

God is a triune personal being who enters into a covenant relationship with His people, both individually and corporately.

Our finite, human minds will never truly understand the vastness of God’s glory, nor the fullness of His character. When we consider His infinite greatness, it can be difficult to remember that while He is incomprehensibly grand, He is also personal and relational. He is Immanuel, “God with us” (Matthew 1:23).

We see this in Exodus 34, when God met with Moses on Mount Sinai. Moses came down from the mountain and found he had to conceal his face with a veil in order to speak with the Israelites. He “did not realize that the skin of his face shone” (v.29) after talking with God—that it was reflecting the radiance of God’s glory and frightening his fellow Israelites. And so, whenever Moses met with God, he would remove the veil, but then put it back on when speaking with God’s people.

In 2 Corinthians 3, Paul writes that the sacrifice of Christ and the ministry of the Holy Spirit have changed the nature of our relationship with God. We can now gaze upon the glory of God with unveiled faces, just as if we were staring into a mirror (v.18). While Moses was the mediator between God and His people, we now have Christ, the “radiance of God’s glory and the exact expression of his nature” (Hebrews 1:3) as our Mediator. Because of Christ, we can enter into relationship with God both corporately as His Church and as individuals. Even more, we have received a Counselor, the Holy Spirit, to remain with us at all times.

Our relationship with God is rooted in His glory and expressed in His immanence. God is present with us, deeply invested and active in each of our lives. He is a personal God. He relates to us, loves us, and cherishes us. Rather than being distant, inaccessible and detached, He has drawn near to us so that we might draw near to Him. By grace, He dwells among us, and by that same grace, He invites us into His presence.

35 thoughts on "God Is Personal"

1. Nada Joy Hyde says:

Such kindness these readings help me each day . I read my devotions and then enjoy these that a friend from my small group shares . What a blessing . Thanks for sharing . I need prayers for healing . Thanks

2. Amanda says:

One of the best examples of how personal our God is can be found in the life and person of Jesus. He was God made flesh. He dwelt among men, ate and hungered, cried and laughed, walked miles on dusty roads with his disciples, at fish and joked with his friends by the ocean, loved the outcasts and communed with people in their homes.

3. Stephanie S says:

I loved seeing these scriptures together. I have never given much thought to the Mediator between the people and God Himself. And then to compare the glory, the light, the evidence, etc. that comes from being in the presence of God… it’s so obvious it works this way, and yet I don’t think I have ever seen it through scripture like this. Today’s reading reminds me why spending time in His presence is so much more than a task to complete or a box to check off. I want to shine. I want others to see. From glory to glory.

Oh God, I ask that I might show up today in everything I do with the glory of the Lord, and the evidence of your Spirit, pouring out of me in every way.

Lord, anoint me with your Spirit. That my mind would think on things above and not on the temporary things of this world. That my eyes would see others they way you see them. My ears would hear You when you’re speaking to me. Through your Spirit my mouth would speak life and light over others, and not default to death and darkness. I pray everything I put my hands to today would be done with excellence and diligence and all for your glory. Anoint my feet, guide my steps, direct my path that I might stay on the course you have laid out in advance. Go before me and stand behind me. I surrender this day to you. All of it. In Jesus name.

1. Ashley Gwin says:

This prayer is amazing, Stephanie! I wrote it in my notes and screen shot it to have for future days when I need the reminder. You captured today’s message beautifully, thank you for sharing.

2. Shasta Moczulski says:

❤️

4. Sue says:

What a difference it makes that I can go through each day in God’s presence. So grateful!

5. Susan says:

Looking different, the glow, setting apart, whatever the terminology, we as Christ followers are to be noticed. People are to see us and to know there is something different about our lives; something good; something they want. Spending time with God, in His Word should transform us to be more like Him, otherwise it’s for nothing. If it’s just to read something good, but I am not applying it to my life, living it out, then I am wasting my time. If it is not changing me from the inside out, so people are noticing a difference, I may as well stop — until I decide to take it personal. Because God is personal. He takes it personal when we don’t. God invested everything to be in relationship with us, with me. His Son. He has every right to take it personal. So should I!

1. Charlotte Meadows says:

That is so good!!!!

6. Churchmouse says:

God takes my life personally and calls me to be like Him. He graciously has given the Holy Spirit to guide and counsel me. This is no small thing because I am prone to wander. He keeps calling me back, coming to me. Such an awesome thought – that the creator of the universe pursues me to love on me.

1. Marcie Smith says:

Beautifully said.

7. Meg Herndon says:

❤️

8. Shuana Michele-Hackworth says:

It’s amazing that being in the presence of God transforms. Yet the simple act of being in His presence seems to be difficult in this time. So many other voices and other things grabbing at our attention. I am reminded today that God let the most glorious part of Him with us the Holy Spirit. Whoever I am I can be in His presence because He lives in me.