God Is Personal

from the Attributes of God reading plan

Exodus 34:29-35, 2 Corinthians 3:7-18, John 14:15-21, Hebrews 1:1-4

BY She Reads Truth

God is a triune personal being who enters into a covenant relationship with His people, both individually and corporately.

Our finite, human minds will never truly understand the vastness of God’s glory, nor the fullness of His character. When we consider His infinite greatness, it can be difficult to remember that while He is incomprehensibly grand, He is also personal and relational. He is Immanuel, “God with us” (Matthew 1:23).

We see this in Exodus 34, when God met with Moses on Mount Sinai. Moses came down from the mountain and found he had to conceal his face with a veil in order to speak with the Israelites. He “did not realize that the skin of his face shone” (v.29) after talking with God—that it was reflecting the radiance of God’s glory and frightening his fellow Israelites. And so, whenever Moses met with God, he would remove the veil, but then put it back on when speaking with God’s people.

In 2 Corinthians 3, Paul writes that the sacrifice of Christ and the ministry of the Holy Spirit have changed the nature of our relationship with God. We can now gaze upon the glory of God with unveiled faces, just as if we were staring into a mirror (v.18). While Moses was the mediator between God and His people, we now have Christ, the “radiance of God’s glory and the exact expression of his nature” (Hebrews 1:3) as our Mediator. Because of Christ, we can enter into relationship with God both corporately as His Church and as individuals. Even more, we have received a Counselor, the Holy Spirit, to remain with us at all times.

Our relationship with God is rooted in His glory and expressed in His immanence. God is present with us, deeply invested and active in each of our lives. He is a personal God. He relates to us, loves us, and cherishes us. Rather than being distant, inaccessible and detached, He has drawn near to us so that we might draw near to Him. By grace, He dwells among us, and by that same grace, He invites us into His presence.

34 thoughts on "God Is Personal"

1. Maya Basquin says:

I never paired those two passages of scripture together, thank you! That was beautiful.

2. Felidian says:

One of the things that really struck me in these scriptures, particularly Exodus – is that Moses did not veil his face WHEN speaking to the Israelites, rather that he veiled his face AFTER sharing God’s words with them. I had never seen this before and read several different translations to confirm this.

At first, I thought – does it really matter? But in actuality it does in helping us to understand the fact that God is truly a “personal”. This commentary, though lengthy, explains it best: https://www.goodnewsarticles.com/Oct07-6.htm

Moses veiled his face AFTER speaking with the Israelites so that they would not realize that God’s glory which came through the law was fading. It would not sustain them.

Just as the law absent (or “veiling”) a vibrant, intimate, and personal relationship with the PERSON of Jesus Christ will not sustain us either, and will ultimately fade.

This revelation has given me a renewed heart to move EVERYTHING else out the way and to just see, know, and be with Jesus as He is – God with us!

3. Shawn Parks says:

Moses removed the veil when he was in God’s presence. Nothing separates us from the love of God. He knows us intimately. There is nothing we can hide from him. He sees us as we are and delights in us. I am encouraged by this truth! The freedom of being able to come to God as I am and know that he already knows it all: hopes, fears, doubts, worries, joys, desires, shame, past, present, and future—and he loves me anyway. No veil needed—he could see through it any way!

4. Angie says:

I thought this morning about how the veil to the holy of holies was torn when Jesus died on the cross for us. My understanding is that this symbolized that there did not need to be a separation between God and man any longer. Jesus had provided the path of salvation for all who would accept it.

Moses didn’t want the people to be frightened by God’s radiance. He also didn’t want the people to see the radiance of God’s presence lessening between visits. The Word said he removed the veil in the presence of God.

We all with unveiled faces are able to view the glory of the Lord and be transformed into his image through the Holy Spirit.

I wish I could say that the radiance of God’s presence doesn’t lessen between visits in my life. I always want the veil removed in the presence of God so that I am able to see Him as clearly as possible and draw as close as possible. And yet, through the Holy Spirit our faces are unveiled. While Jesus made that possible and the Holy Spirit continues it in our heart, there are what I call “thin places” in my life – more intimate, gifts. Those are my favorite, and I’d like to live there. I find the daily draws me away…but someday, the daily will be those “thin moments.”

Thank you Father God, Jesus our salvation provider and brother, and Holy Spirit comforter and hope. Just thank you.

1. Amber Hezlep says:

I love the way you worded this Angie!

5. Dee says:

This lesson reminds me of a pregnant woman. How she is often referred as having a glow. The indwelling of the Holy Spirit or being in God’s presence is similar. When we are so consumed after being in God’s presence we look more like Him and that results in a glow. So as He lives in us (much like that baby), it shows on the outside as well.

6. Kristen says:

https://livestream.com/accounts/15306138/events/8547024 Here is the link I was talking about in the earlier post from his message on 2/3. He refers to the verses about Moses and the series is about “Withness”, being with God. If you want to listen to the other messages too, go to maog.org and hit the link to the latest message. You can go to the archives and go back to listen to more.

7. Kristen says:

My pastor was just referring to the verses about Moses. He covered his face, because it shone after being in God’s Presence. We should look different after being with God too. People should see a difference in how we act and live. His series is on Withness, being with God. I want to be overwhelmed in His Presence and get on my face in response to His glory. I will post a link to the message, but I have to look it up.

8. Terrisa Stewart says:

I love that despite God being all-knowing and incomparable, He is still a relational God. He is available to us in whatever capacity we need.