God Is Immutable

from the Attributes of God reading plan

Numbers 23:19, Psalm 102:25-28, Job 23:8-14, Malachi 3:1-6, Hebrews 6:13-19, Hebrews 13:8, James 1:16-18

BY She Reads Truth

God is unchanging in His being. His character and will are constant.

As humans, we speak the language of change. We are always seeking the next, the better, the unknown. Even if we prefer to hold change at an arm’s length, it is inevitable. The seasons shift, the stars fall, our numbered hairs fall out, and our hearts undergo the only constant we know—change.

The book of Ecclesiastes contains this famous refrain, charged with the impatience, discomfort, and hopefulness of our ever-changing lives:

There is an occasion for everything,
and a time for every activity under heaven:
a time to give birth and a time to die;
a time to plant and a time to uproot (3:1–2).

We live our lives seemingly anchored to little more than change itself. And yet Scripture beckons us to drop our anchor and hold fast to the One who never changes.

Our God is unchangeable because He is perfect. Nothing can be added or taken away from Him. Everything He does is consistent with who He is. God’s promises are the same, and His ability to keep them will never waver. In Malachi 3, God tells His people: “Because I, the LORD, have not changed, you descendants of Jacob have not been destroyed” (v.6). In short, God’s immutability means we can count on Him, no matter what.

Job, whose life changed in dramatic and painful ways, knew God to be always true to His character. “He is unchangeable, who can oppose him?” he asked (Job 23:13). Job staked his hope—his life—on his belief that God will always be who He declares Himself to be and do what He says He will do.

Job’s hope is our hope.

Complete, unchangeable, perfect—this is our God. As the ancient doxology “Gloria Patri” declares:

Glory to the Father and to the Son
and to the Holy Spirit;
as it was in the beginning is now
and will be forever. Amen.

Edited language of first paragraph on 2/5. Thanks for keeping us on our toes, Shes!

87 thoughts on "God Is Immutable"

1. Juanita Zaring says:

Just got started, was introduced to She Reads Truth by a friend, i am truly enjoying it.

2. Emma Russ says:

Emily, I am so sorry for all of this stuff going on. Just remember what Jermimiah 29:11-13 says, “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12 Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.” Seek God in times of need, he never wants to hurt you and he has a plan.

3. Kat says:

I have a fancy feast coupon

4. Emily Castle says:

Recently have been feeling very let down by god. My husband and I have moved house to a new city and changed careers because we believe that he led us here, but now my husband is facing losing his job, we have had two deaths in our family in the last four months and it’s all very hard. I’m doing this bible study to try and remind myself that god is good, and that he won’t let us down or punish us.

5. Tiffany G says:

For me, after a divorce and literally having nothing, I started to cling to anything. Friends, another relationship, work, etc and God stripped everything from me and put me in a position of having zero stability outside my job that moves every three months. And I keep getting the urge to do something like get in a relationship, buy a house. Something that screams “I have roots” but God is trying to get me to see he is my roots, he is enough and everything else is built on sand. I’m testing my faith to trust that God will do what he said in his word and walking by faith

6. Janna Jackson says:

In a culture that constantly changes I am so grateful that God’s character is who he is. He doesn’t change with the winds.

7. Ginger McOwen says:

Hi everyone. I have 2 very important prayer request. Would you please pray for my body as I am really sick and only 36 years old with 2 kids to care for. I’m not sure what’s wrong yet I just know have been suffering for a really long time and it’s getting harder to believe for healing . Also my cat has disappeared outside And she has been gone for almost 2 days. Please pray she comes home safely.. Thank you so much.

1. Ashley M says:

Praying for you, Ginger. ❤️

8. Jess Harvey says:

I love change… well positive change. It excites me. Even unknown change (when directed by God) excites me. I like the adventure of it. The the newness. The unlocking of a new story… a new door… a new path in life. However, I think the fact that I can crave these has so much to do with the “safety net” of knowing that God is there. Knowing my situation has nothing to do with Who He is and how He loves me. When we were going through the foster care, reunification and adoption process with our twins holding on to the knowledge of who God is and that He NEVER changes was what became my battle cry- my constant reminder. That no matter the outcome God remained the same and would never change regardless of my circumstance. That knowledge changes everything.