God Is Immutable

from the Attributes of God reading plan

Numbers 23:19, Psalm 102:25-28, Job 23:8-14, Malachi 3:1-6, Hebrews 6:13-19, Hebrews 13:8, James 1:16-18

BY She Reads Truth

God is unchanging in His being. His character and will are constant.

As humans, we speak the language of change. We are always seeking the next, the better, the unknown. Even if we prefer to hold change at an arm’s length, it is inevitable. The seasons shift, the stars fall, our numbered hairs fall out, and our hearts undergo the only constant we know—change.

The book of Ecclesiastes contains this famous refrain, charged with the impatience, discomfort, and hopefulness of our ever-changing lives:

There is an occasion for everything,
and a time for every activity under heaven:
a time to give birth and a time to die;
a time to plant and a time to uproot (3:1–2).

We live our lives seemingly anchored to little more than change itself. And yet Scripture beckons us to drop our anchor and hold fast to the One who never changes.

Our God is unchangeable because He is perfect. Nothing can be added or taken away from Him. Everything He does is consistent with who He is. God’s promises are the same, and His ability to keep them will never waver. In Malachi 3, God tells His people: “Because I, the LORD, have not changed, you descendants of Jacob have not been destroyed” (v.6). In short, God’s immutability means we can count on Him, no matter what.

Job, whose life changed in dramatic and painful ways, knew God to be always true to His character. “He is unchangeable, who can oppose him?” he asked (Job 23:13). Job staked his hope—his life—on his belief that God will always be who He declares Himself to be and do what He says He will do.

Job’s hope is our hope.

Complete, unchangeable, perfect—this is our God. As the ancient doxology “Gloria Patri” declares:

Glory to the Father and to the Son
and to the Holy Spirit;
as it was in the beginning is now
and will be forever. Amen.

Edited language of first paragraph on 2/5. Thanks for keeping us on our toes, Shes!

87 thoughts on "God Is Immutable"

1. Shell A says:

In the last two months, my world has been completely turned upside down. My fiancé ended our relationship suddenly and it has devastated me beyond words. I’m struggling to trust God and His unchanging character. I know the truths about God but living them out day to day is so so hard. My world feels dark, with no light in sight. I’m anxious and sick with worry and struggle to get out of bed everyday which is so different to who I an. I hold tight to the hope that God can change his heart and I’m praying for restoration. But I’m also trying to accept that His will may not be mine. It’s a battle I’m fighting everyday and most days I’m losing. Please pray for me ❤️

2. Terrisa Stewart says:

It is a blessing to know that God doesn’t change even though I do. As we are reminded each season has its purpose, so for mankind change is truly inevitable. Tethering myself to a God that does not change gives me hope to restore my faith knowing that no how much I may change to the world, I have a Father in Heaven who expects that change but will not change because of it. He loves me all the same!

3. Misty MichelleCarlson says:

I am one who has always hated change . I have had so much of it in my 30 years on this planet . Between losing the ones closest to me, constant moving , people coming in and out of my life, different jobs , and the struggles that I face that it is awesome to know that God will never change . He will be that one constant that I so desperately need and I should have realized it so much sooner

4. Steph C says:

God doesn’t change! Everything around me changes. Relationships wax and wane. Jobs change. I change. Feelings change. Health changes. God doesn’t change. In the midst of all the upheaval, He remains constant. My anchor. My refuge. My security.

5. Tabata says:

Amber, praying for your family. Hoping everything went well in that doctor’s appointment

1. Amber J says:

Hi Tabata! Thank you for praying. The tumor has grown, but hasn’t spread. Beginning a new treatment.. the doctor said this is the last option. Praying it works!

6. Amanda MarieO'Malley says:

When everything is changing all around us it is awesome to know that God will never change and we can count on Him to do and be what he saS

7. Faith says:

So much power and comfort in this, this reminder that He is my rock, my constant. In a world so full of change this brings hope. In my current stage of life it seems everywhere you look there is change. Failed marriages, relationships that evolve or dissolve, cancer, and death. While reading this all of these things came to mind and took me to a fast forward of my life. Kids moving away…me old and gray but content and faithful to my Lord in prayer. Joyful and engaged in that lifelong relationship with my Savior who so graciously pursues me all my days!

8. Y K says:

No matter what the world brings forth, good or challenging change, I take comfort in knowing that God is my constant.