God Is God

from the Attributes of God reading plan

Deuteronomy 10:14-17, Psalm 145:3-7, Isaiah 40:9-25, John 1:1-5, Revelation 22:13

BY She Reads Truth

God is the Creator and Sustainer of all things, both visible and invisible. He is infinite, eternal, and unfathomable, yet He reveals Himself to us through the universe He made and His infallible Word.

Whatever we think of when we think about God is, at the very least, incomplete. He is infinite, but our imaginations are limited. He is unfathomable, so our thoughts cannot plumb the depths. He is the Creator of everything, yet we are constrained by metaphors that come from the created world. The very idea that we might classify or categorize God is laughable. He cannot be tamed or studied. He is beyond our reach and beyond our understanding.

And yet we can know Him. He has graciously entered our world, time and time again, so that we might be His children and His true image-bearers. He was in the garden with Adam and Eve. He spoke to Noah, Abraham, and Moses. His presence filled the tabernacle and, later, the temple. He put on flesh and became one of us. And He has gifted His Spirit to His people, in order that we might know Him more intimately still. “The LORD had his heart set on your fathers and loved them. He chose their descendants after them—he chose you out of all the peoples, as it is today” (Deuteronomy 10:15).

We can know God because He has chosen to be known. He is all-powerful, all-knowing, and all-present. He is loving and just, merciful and good, and a thousand other things beside. “For the LORD your God is the God of gods and Lord of lords, the great, mighty, and awe-inspiring God” (v.17). Theologians have made many a complicated list of God’s attributes, filling thick volumes on shelves that occupy the libraries of this world. But those books amount to what we can know about God. We have been given an opportunity to go much deeper than that. We have been invited to love Him and be loved by Him—to know Him in a way that defies our limited capacity for knowledge and understanding and, in so doing, bring Him glory.

Whatever measure of knowledge we have about God is granted to us so that we might worship Him, not merely as admirers from afar but as dearly loved children.

117 thoughts on "God Is God"

1. Makenzie Johnson says:

God you are immeasurably more! I can’t even begin to fathom your greatness! Help me be a preacher of your good news!

2. Tiffany G says:

I love how it says, what we know about God is not so we can be an admirer. Also think growing up in the church, I’ve stepped back from the position of worshipping God for the invisible things. I think i just got used to protection and stuff I forgot it was God. The pride in my heart said it was my good or wise choices. I pray this plan puts me back into a position of humility when I see how big He is and how small I am

1. Sarah Muhar says:

I dont realy have an answer as sometimes I think the same but hoping through bible study and prayer the Holy spirit will light up what we do

3. Tynia Coleman says:

To know Him, to be intimately aquatinted with Him.

4. Erica Baker says:

Thankful to be his daughter, despite anything I’ve done not to deserve his love.

5. Katheryn Nattrass says:

I’m looking forward to this 14 day study and to do more! I have always believed in God and I went to church as a kid. Now that I am older, my work schedule does not allow for the time to actually attend church on a regular basis. I’m excited for SRT and hoping that my faith will continue to grow as I grow closer to Him. ❤️

6. Jennifer Akers says:

Who am I, that the Lord of all the earth would care to know my name, would care to feel my hurt? Who am I, that the Bright and Morning Star Would choose to light the way for my ever wandering heart?

Not because of who I am
    But because of what You’ve done.
    Not because of what I’ve done
    But because of who You are.

1. Jennifer Akers says:

Deut 10:15…He loved us and chose us. The God who is above all creation chose us.

7. Ana Lisa Johnson says:

The passage in Isaiah 40 is always mind-boggling. Our God is truly a huge and awesome God. MORE than capable of helping us in our time of need, even though sometimes my problems seem bigger than He is. Oh God, help me to know you more deeply, to see you more clearly, even though I can only see a very dim reflection of you right now!

8. Erricka Hager says:

Thank you Lord for continuing to love and care for me. I’m so grateful to be loved by you.