God Is God

from the Attributes of God reading plan

Deuteronomy 10:14-17, Psalm 145:3-7, Isaiah 40:9-25, John 1:1-5, Revelation 22:13

BY She Reads Truth

God is the Creator and Sustainer of all things, both visible and invisible. He is infinite, eternal, and unfathomable, yet He reveals Himself to us through the universe He made and His infallible Word.

Whatever we think of when we think about God is, at the very least, incomplete. He is infinite, but our imaginations are limited. He is unfathomable, so our thoughts cannot plumb the depths. He is the Creator of everything, yet we are constrained by metaphors that come from the created world. The very idea that we might classify or categorize God is laughable. He cannot be tamed or studied. He is beyond our reach and beyond our understanding.

And yet we can know Him. He has graciously entered our world, time and time again, so that we might be His children and His true image-bearers. He was in the garden with Adam and Eve. He spoke to Noah, Abraham, and Moses. His presence filled the tabernacle and, later, the temple. He put on flesh and became one of us. And He has gifted His Spirit to His people, in order that we might know Him more intimately still. “The LORD had his heart set on your fathers and loved them. He chose their descendants after them—he chose you out of all the peoples, as it is today” (Deuteronomy 10:15).

We can know God because He has chosen to be known. He is all-powerful, all-knowing, and all-present. He is loving and just, merciful and good, and a thousand other things beside. “For the LORD your God is the God of gods and Lord of lords, the great, mighty, and awe-inspiring God” (v.17). Theologians have made many a complicated list of God’s attributes, filling thick volumes on shelves that occupy the libraries of this world. But those books amount to what we can know about God. We have been given an opportunity to go much deeper than that. We have been invited to love Him and be loved by Him—to know Him in a way that defies our limited capacity for knowledge and understanding and, in so doing, bring Him glory.

Whatever measure of knowledge we have about God is granted to us so that we might worship Him, not merely as admirers from afar but as dearly loved children.

127 thoughts on "God Is God"

1. Elyssa Burch says:

❤️

2. Tomiko Boettcher says:

How comforting it is to know that God is the one in charge instead my sinful self. And even though he is almighty and powerful, he is also our gentle shepherd.

3. Ava Michaels says:

We can love God through being obedient to Him, and as we strive to obey his commandments he is working within us to transform us and make us more like Jesus. As we try to walk in obedience never do it alone share with those around you your struggles so they will encourage you in the word of God so that through obedience to God you can bring Him Glory!!!

4. Rachel Raymer says:

What a great way to start my day. ♡

5. karolyna cuesta says:

Hey Jamie, I definitely think you can bring God all the glory by simply seeking him. He appreciates all that you do. Don’t ever doubt yourself because he knows you’re doing your best even being human.

6. Heather says:

“Yet the Lord set His heart in love on.. their offspring.. (me) thank you !! He tenda to us like a shepherd. Yet we are like a micro drop in the bucket- in the big picture He cares deeply for us!

7. Diana Volpe says:

I am thankful that his “God-ness” is independent from me. That He is. Despite my wavering understanding and faltering steps.

8. Jamie Nuckols says:

How does my limited knowledge and understanding of God bring Him glory? Especially when I’m reminded that I can’t really understand Him anyway! I want to love God well, but sometimes I think I can’t because I’m so completely human!

1. Ashley Link says:

Trust that your discipline and devotion to the Word will deepen your relationship. God knows we are human, and he knows we cannot come close to his perfection. He makes himself known to us in unique ways- some very clear and others not so much. Do not be discouraged!