The Son Reveals the Father

from the Luke reading plan

Luke 10:1-42, Psalm 16:1-11, Romans 10:14-17

BY Guest Writer

I was born in the 1980s—before digital cameras, before text messages or Instagram or any other instantaneous method of sharing photos of newborns existed. My dad used to take pictures of me and physically mail them to his parents. According to family legend, when my grandmother opened the envelope, she would call my dad and ask, “Why did you mail me a baby picture of you?”

My grandmother kept pictures of her family everywhere, on almost every available square inch of her walls and tables. It was one of my favorite things about her house. Every time we’d visit, we’d look at the baby picture of me next to the baby picture of my dad and marvel at the similarity; I looked exactly like my dad as a baby.

Scripture tells us Jesus is the exact expression of God’s nature (Hebrews 1:5). He “is the image of the invisible God,” and all of God’s fullness—all of it!—dwells in Jesus (Colossians 1:15,19). Jesus reveals this to His disciples in Luke 10, giving them a glimpse into His divinity. Jesus was God in the flesh, walking around on earth—fully man, fully God. The invisible God (John 1:18) became visible, flesh and bone, to dwell with His people.

The technical term for Jesus’s humanity and divinity is the “hypostatic union,” the mystery of His perfect union of God and man. We don’t know how that union works; we only know that it does. Jesus also tells us why the Father it is a mystery: because the Father intended it to be (Luke 10:21).

The Word became flesh and dwelt among us… we have all received grace upon grace from his fullness… No one has ever seen God. The one and only Son, who is himself God and at his father’s side—he has revealed him (John 1:14–18).

Jesus came because it was the Father’s good pleasure for the Son to dwell here, to live a fully human life, to stand in our place, and to take the punishment for our sin. Jesus came to reveal the Father’s lavish love and the riches of His grace. This Jesus, who loved sinners and outcasts, who died for His people to satisfy justice and turned over temple tables in perfect, righteous anger, who wept at the death of His friend and washed His disciples’ feet—this is our God incarnate, the full and perfect expression of who our God is. All glory and honor forever be to Him!

Melanie Rainer is a bookworm from birth who makes her days writing, editing and reading in Nashville, where she also joyfully serves as the editor of Kids Read Truth. She has an M.A. in Theological Studies from Covenant Seminary, spends as much time as she can in the kitchen, and can’t wait until her two daughters are old enough to read Anne of Green Gables.

39 thoughts on "The Son Reveals the Father"

1. Emily Gates says:

Not in part, but the whole. The sin, the mercy, the love. All things were entrusted to Jesus to dwell with us.

2. Carol Ross says:

Love ❤️ this

3. Natasha R says:

I have had so many amazing insights from today’s devotional! Because of Jesus, we have SEEN GOD! Jesus has shown us God’s perfect love, kindness, compassion and grace. And by dying for my sins, He has opened the door and given me full access to the Father. ❤️

4. Natalia Phillips says:

Jesus left us with power and authority to tread on the enemy. How do we access this power left for us? By constantly studying the word to not only show ourselves approved, but to hear from God and feed our faith. Let us always remember the good portion that will not be taken away from us- God’s word!

5. Beth Hinson says:

“Martha, Martha you are anxious about many things, but one thing is true that Mary has chosen the good portion, one that cannot be taken away from her.” v. 24 I want to hide this hidden nugget of truth in my heart every single day for the rest of my life, because it was spoken directly into this season of life for me! Naturally, as a flawed human, I am anxious about a lot of stuff. All the time. Bills, school, appearance, stuff, name-brands, health, and basically any other daily life activities, BUT Jesus clearly says that Mary has chosen the GOOD portion of life, to focus her eyes on Jesus. And the best part- That cannot be taken away from her. Finances fluctuate, health changes, disappointments occur, failure arises and all of these things can cause anxiety if they are what we establish our identity in. I pray that I focus more on placing my identity in the good, steadfast portion that God is a loving, kind, fair, forgiving God who is proud for me to be his daughter and in that, my identity can never be taken away from me.

1. Valerie Luther says:

This spoke to me. I always feel so anxious and when I saw it mentioned in the scripture I wanted to understand what Jesus was saying about it, but didn’t quite understand. Your explanation completely cleared it up for me. Thank you!

6. Kristen says:

I was listening to KLOVE on the radio and Luis Palau (I think I’m spelling his name correctly), gave his 1 minute message. He told a story of a man that went off to World War II to serve leaving his wife and son behind. The mom would tell the Son about his father, and say he would come home one day. The boy asked wouldn’t it be nice if he could step out of the picture right there? Luis said that is what God did when He sent Jesus. Now we know what God is like! When we think of all Jesus did, how he treated the outcasts, healed the sick, had compassion. That’s what our Heavenly Father is like! How awesome that Jesus would leave Heaven, and how awesome is God to give His one and only Son to reveal Himself, save us, and free us!

7. Lyna Ninkham says:

I was reminded and moved by the story of the “Good Samaritan” on today’s devotion — unrelated to the commentary, but related as it discussed the image of Jesus (Son) and God (Father). The priest and the Levite ignored the one who needed help, but the Samaritan stopped to help and dress his neighbor (not stranger’s) wounds. Let us be an example of compassion as Jesus and this Samaritan exemplified.

33 But a Samaritan, as he journeyed, came to where he was, and when he saw him, he had compassion.

8. Ashley Thomas says:

We are not worthy of God’s love, yet He continually gives it to us, despite ALL of our FAULTS! When I stop and think about that, it’s hard to not want to tell everyone about His love. I was made in his image! He is my father! I am loved!