In His Name

from the Luke reading plan

Luke 9:28-62, Exodus 34:29-35, 2 Corinthians 3:18

BY Rebecca Faires

Have you ever watched kids wait for the bus? Our kids wait at the end of a long driveway, and somehow that distance makes them think they are surely out of my eyeshot. They imagine themselves in a Lord of the Flies world, where no adult can see them, and a child would willingly bludgeon his brother for fruit snacks. They act like the bus stop is a land of limbo where perfect impunity reigns supreme. But our driveway is just not that long.

Drinking my coffee, I watch from the window as my own children frantically blow through a punch list of morning offenses. They are in such a hurry to let it all hang out before they find themselves under the next authority: Miss Pitt, the bus driver. She will brook no nonsense in a moving vehicle. The world is a sinful place, though, and Miss Pitt isn’t always looking in her giant rearview mirror, telling them to sit back down.

My kids aren’t outliers. We all enjoy the luxury of being out from under authority, to cut loose and do what’s right in our own eyes. And we are the people the Christ came to save. Those of us who are giving noogies, slapping faces, and stealing cookies at the bus stop—those of us who are hiding our shame, returning to our sins, and feeling beaten down by what we’ve done. We are the people Christ came to save. We’re all in the same boat. We’re just better at hiding our misdeeds than children are.

The day after Jesus’s transfiguration, He came down from the mountain, into the adorable, unwashed fray of regular humans, and He immediately encountered our brokenness. “You unbelieving and perverse generation, how long will I be with you and put up with you?” (Luke 9:41). He knows that we are trying to hide from authority, but this is exactly why He came. He came down from glory to heal a broken world.

Even in the midst of His longing for our redemption, Jesus was about the business of healing, saying to the man in the crowd, “Bring your son here” (v.41). While the crowd and the disciples worried about who was supposed to be able to cast out demons, Christ had fixed His eyes upon the redemption of all things. He knew about the glory of God and was not confused by squirrely, bus-stop shenanigans. He knows that we are broken and full of terrible nonsense, but Jesus understands who He is, who His Father is, and who we are. He is not surprised that we are getting it wrong; that’s literally why He came.

Jesus came to save the lost and the broken. He shows forth the glory and greatness of God. Be astonished today, not at the misdeeds of man—that’s not surprising at all—but at the greatness of God’s love and grace for us. His name is great, and He is greatly to be praised (v.43).

44 thoughts on "In His Name"

1. Kristi Kanas says:

Lord, help me to be centered on your business in the midst of a chaotic world. Help me stay focused on Your purpose.

2. Lyna Ninkham says:

Jesus predicts His death twice in Luke 9 and what the disciples don’t know is HOW Jesus will be saving us, sinners, from death. And yet, Jesus knows how and being God could easily save himself from dying on the cross — but chooses not to because of the love He has for us. Even for those “unbelieving”.

Humbled by this truth and reflecting on this today.

3. Jennifer McElhannon says:

That Jesus came down to redeem my soul is something I cannot even fathom at times. How blessed am I that he died for me to wash away all of my sins? Jesus came to heal the sick, perform miracles and speak God’s word on instructions on how we are supposed to act according to His word.

We all fall short of God’s glory. None of us is without sin. Reminded me of the verse, “Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.” This sin can consume us if we aren’t careful. Satan wants for us to give in to the temptations of sin and disregard all that God has commanded us. We must remain diligent though and spiritually strong.

4. Ashley White says:

❤️

5. Valerie says:

this has been my first time doing community reading with SRT and i am continually surprised at how deeply each day’s devotion speaks to me. i have been worried lately about not being a good example to my S/O who is agnostic, and that in my mistakes i will only hinder his journey to faith. this reminds me that it is not through any actions of my own that he will come to believe, it’s through jesus, because that’s his job. and i am not loved any less because of my screw-ups. i am so comforted by this. please continue to keep my S/O in your prayers, that god will pull him closer and open his heart to a relationship with him. i am reading through everyone else’s comments and praying over all of you as well!!

1. Daisy Wyatt says:

Something to always remember, Valerie: God users sinners sinlessly. You are no exception. None of us is perfect, but God works with us and uses us for His glory all the same. The New Testament is very clear that any power we have comes directly from the Spirit moving and working through us, empowering us, compensating for everything that we lack. It’s not us. It’s Him. Don’t let the world or shame or doubt try to limit how God can use you to reach others in precisely the situation you’re in. God’s got you. Rest in Him. Praying for you :)

6. Karen Wiebe says:

I’m new here and have a couple unrelated-to-the-devotional questions. Does it take some time for a question/comment to show up once you’ve posted it? And why do some comments say they were posted 8 months ago? Thanks everyone and looking forward to being part of this community. ♥️

7. cinback says:

Oh that we would be ASTONISHED every day at the greatness of God…

8. Kate Wells says:

Amen!! Great devotional today!