In His Name

from the Luke reading plan

Luke 9:28-62, Exodus 34:29-35, 2 Corinthians 3:18

BY Rebecca Faires

Have you ever watched kids wait for the bus? Our kids wait at the end of a long driveway, and somehow that distance makes them think they are surely out of my eyeshot. They imagine themselves in a Lord of the Flies world, where no adult can see them, and a child would willingly bludgeon his brother for fruit snacks. They act like the bus stop is a land of limbo where perfect impunity reigns supreme. But our driveway is just not that long.

Drinking my coffee, I watch from the window as my own children frantically blow through a punch list of morning offenses. They are in such a hurry to let it all hang out before they find themselves under the next authority: Miss Pitt, the bus driver. She will brook no nonsense in a moving vehicle. The world is a sinful place, though, and Miss Pitt isn’t always looking in her giant rearview mirror, telling them to sit back down.

My kids aren’t outliers. We all enjoy the luxury of being out from under authority, to cut loose and do what’s right in our own eyes. And we are the people the Christ came to save. Those of us who are giving noogies, slapping faces, and stealing cookies at the bus stop—those of us who are hiding our shame, returning to our sins, and feeling beaten down by what we’ve done. We are the people Christ came to save. We’re all in the same boat. We’re just better at hiding our misdeeds than children are.

The day after Jesus’s transfiguration, He came down from the mountain, into the adorable, unwashed fray of regular humans, and He immediately encountered our brokenness. “You unbelieving and perverse generation, how long will I be with you and put up with you?” (Luke 9:41). He knows that we are trying to hide from authority, but this is exactly why He came. He came down from glory to heal a broken world.

Even in the midst of His longing for our redemption, Jesus was about the business of healing, saying to the man in the crowd, “Bring your son here” (v.41). While the crowd and the disciples worried about who was supposed to be able to cast out demons, Christ had fixed His eyes upon the redemption of all things. He knew about the glory of God and was not confused by squirrely, bus-stop shenanigans. He knows that we are broken and full of terrible nonsense, but Jesus understands who He is, who His Father is, and who we are. He is not surprised that we are getting it wrong; that’s literally why He came.

Jesus came to save the lost and the broken. He shows forth the glory and greatness of God. Be astonished today, not at the misdeeds of man—that’s not surprising at all—but at the greatness of God’s love and grace for us. His name is great, and He is greatly to be praised (v.43).

44 thoughts on "In His Name"

1. Michelle Dunmire says:

Even in the midst of….Jesus was about the business of…

This is my reminder for today. That even in the midst of a hard world and personal struggles, I must be about the business of my Father.

2. Lauree Kelly says:

Thank you, God, for loving me unconditionally. You chose me and I continually disappoint you. Thank you that we have your words to remind us about your love, forgiveness and how we need to shine for other people to see you in us. God also please give the federal workers that did not get paid today, financial, spiritual guidance and trust that you will be there to carry them through this. In Jesus precious name, Amen

3. Janna Jackson says:

If we are in the presence of God, we can’t help but to exude joy. Just like Moses was glowing after he had been with God. I think it’s important to daily be reminded why God came. He came to redeeem the good, the bad and the person with excellent morals. We all need saving. As a Christian every day I need to acknowledge that I can’t obey God in my own but that I need his help.

4. Tricia Cavanaugh says:

Continued- (haha) and the pain has been a bit much. It’s in those times my Father is so there watching over me, even when I am busy trying to control the pain. I did discover last night, that instead of me trying to figure out what to do, giving it to God and resting in Him is quite helpful.
    Have a blessed day Sisters.

5. Tricia Cavanaugh says:

Yes Churchmouse! I am agreeing with you! I am glad that you have found relief. I’m also grateful, as you pointed out, that He knows our frailty and loves us still.
    I am in a cancer center with a tumor on my right femur.

6. Kristin Kruzich says:

I think the rest of the Luke passage is missing from the reading page. When I read Rebecca’s message, I realized I should have read more from Luke.

7. Anne says:

Prayers for you Kelly and your husbands biopsy today. Praise for.relief of pain Churchmouse. Thank you Jesus for loving me though I continue to screw up and thank you for not being surprised.

8. Janet Tanner says:

Allison, this may seem too simple, but I think it refers to our hope. The hope of redemption,then sanctification and then on to the glory of heaven. Each time we meet Christ in a different way,the next more glorious than the first.
    People believe that our salvation experience is all there is, but Christ offers so much more, 2 Corinthians 3:18 Paul uses the same phrase. Reminding us of our hope offered in Christ.