Parables and Miracles

from the Luke reading plan

Luke 8:1-56, Psalm 107:28-32, Acts 28:25-28

BY Rebecca Faires

Jesus used parables to teach both the crowds and His disciples. Typically, He first spoke the parable in the hearing of all, and then in private explained it to His disciples. But even the disciples were curious about this, and so they asked Jesus, “Why are you speaking to them in parables?” (Matthew 13:10).

It’s a funny thought. Why would Jesus want to make things more complicated? Isn’t the kingdom of heaven a sufficiently difficult idea to grasp without riddles? And isn’t it hard enough to comprehend what it means that Jesus is the Messiah, even when explained in plain Aramaic?

Yes! And here’s Jesus’s fascinating response, “Because the secrets of the kingdom of heaven have been given for you to know, but it has not been given to them” (v.11). What?! The disciples got secrets that everyone else didn’t get? But wait, there’s more. Jesus continued, “For whoever has, more will be given to him, and he will have more than enough; but whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken away from him. That is why I speak to them in parables, because looking they do not see, and hearing they do not listen or understand” (vv.12–13).

They think they understand, but they don’t. Now when we read Jesus’s parable of the sower and see the Word fall on unfruitful ground, we can see what He’s talking about. Some hearts are hard, and some hearts are not ready.

Christ’s Word was at the center of His ministry. His Word is valuable—His Word is life—and not everyone understood it. We stand at a wonderful time in history because now we, like His disciples, get to be taken aside to hear Him explain His own Word. The messianic mystery is made even more understandable for us than it was for the disciples because we have access to the entirety of Scripture.

Like the disciples, we need Christ to interpret His Word. Without the illuminating work of the Holy Spirit, we are like those who have eyes yet see not, and have ears yet hear not. Apart from Christ, we are unfit soil and will bear no fruit.

Like the disciples, we are to listen attentively and carefully, seeking to know more. We are not to clutter our hearts with the vain loves and cares of this world. “Therefore, take care how you listen” (Luke 8:18). The light of the world has come to reveal all things, and in His light, nothing remains hidden. So let us look to the Lord and ask Him to give us eyes to see, ears to hear, and hearts to believe (Acts 28:27).

66 thoughts on "Parables and Miracles"

1. Lyna Ninkham says:

I’m definitely feeling like the seed that is growing amongst thorns and “choked by life’s worries, riches, and pleasures” at the moment. Worrying about my grad school applications, job searching, financial security, etc. and not trusting God and having faith that He’s in control and will take care of me.

Please pray that I will become a seed amongst good soil that will grow and become fruitful. That I not only hear God’s word, but practice it as well:

21But he answered them, “My mother and my brothers are those who hear the word of God and do it.”

1. Beth Hinson says:

I so relate Lyna as I am also fixing to start grad school! it is such a time of transition which I feel makes it seem easier to turn my fertile soil into rock or thorn, because I have not prioritized cultivating that growth. I pray for your steadfast faith in where the Lord is going to lead you for your career and I pray that you enjoy the journey along the way! :)

2. Bunny says:

From my dear friend in Massena NY. Bunny would you please get your prayer warriors to pray for a little 13 year old who is dying from Cancer. Would you ask Father God to intercede and make this child whole. Thank you.

3. Ashley Thomas says:

Praying for strength, comfort, and healing that only God can provide!

4. Nicole Meier says:

❤️

5. Churchmouse says:

Rebecca, thank you for the reinforcement of committing to being a lifelong learner and student of the Word. I have a home Bible study I lead but feel the need, the responsibility, the joy, of sitting under other leadership (SRT being one!). The Holy Spirit is generous in fresh revelation. The Bible is the LIVING Word.

6. mj says:

Just a note:the Psalmist in 107 is referring to Jonah’s storm-not the storm that we read in Luke’s account.

7. Bee says:

Valerie, to appeal to your significant other’s rational mind, may I recommend Ravi Zacharias. His organization’s goal is “helping the thinker believe and the believer think.”

8. DebRN says:

My observations: My heart has been the soil on the side of the road, the rocky soil and impacted by the thorns. I think this is also everyman’s story. This truth humbles me. I notice that Jesus picked his disciples but told the healed man in verse 38 to go back home. Our ministry best start in the home. I love Jesus’ response to the woman who washed his feet with her tears. There was NO shame and blame in His heart toward her, which is what is wielded in this world. He merely mentioned her love. Are you shocked?! Some of us have grown up with shame and blame environments. I pray in this New Year that I can share this true and glorious gospel of Jesus Christ with those who are spiritually thirsty. I pray for the needs listed here. Please pray for me.