Much Forgiveness, Much Love

from the Luke reading plan

Luke 7:1-50, 1 Kings 17:17-24, Psalm 23:1-6

BY Rebecca Faires

This year, as part of our celebratory Christmas decorations, we set up a fantastic black-and-cream toy train under the tree. Once a day, I would let the kids play with it for a few minutes. They would sit on their tiny knees, leaning forward and exclaiming while the train made its allotted brave journey around the tree several times. Then I’d remind them to turn it off and move on with their day.

One of my best friends laughed at me for this, saying, “You’re limiting their Christmas magic so you don’t have to spend money on replacement batteries?!” Yeah, I guess I do tend to be a little parsimonious when it comes to… well, everything. Some of us are miserly with our resources. Maybe you are a bit freer with your spending; we’re all different. But if I had an alabaster jar filled with perfume I would reluctantly parse it out over many years, and I’d be hard-pressed to slop it all out in one afternoon over a stranger.

Whether you are free or tight with resources, it’s important to know when it’s time to set aside your personal inclinations. Otherwise, we are like the Pharisee who invited Jesus to his house but held back on the hospitality. If the Pharisee had realized Who was sitting at his table, and what debt of gratitude he owed Him, would he have been so close-fisted in his actions? And centuries later, knowing Jesus’s purpose and intent, would we have washed His feet and offered Him a kiss? Unless we are aware of our great debt of love, it’s hard to remember who we are and what we are called to do.

When we realize how much we have received—how much we have been forgiven—then everything comes into perspective. We too often hold back pieces of our lives for ourselves, because we fail to see how greatly we have been forgiven. If we were to comprehend the full abundance of God’s forgiveness, how could we hold back anything from Him? In Him we have received all things, beyond what we could ask or imagine.

Like the woman in Luke 7, we who have been forgiven much can appreciate the depth of Christ’s love. The more we see our need of Him, the more opportunity we have for gratefulness and love for His deep forgiveness. He doesn’t speak of the woman’s shame, only of her love.

In John’s vision of heaven, the twenty-four elders cast their crowns at the feet of Christ, crying out: “Our Lord and God, you are worthy to receive glory and honor and power!” (Revelation 4:11). Everything changes because of who Christ is. By His sacrifice, He has given us abundant forgiveness and overwhelming love. He calls us to live our lives in thankfulness—and when we remember who He is and what He has done, how can we keep from falling at His feet in grateful love?

71 thoughts on "Much Forgiveness, Much Love"

1. Steph C says:

“Unless we are aware of our great debt of love, it’s hard to remember who we are and what we are called to do. … The more we see our need of Him, the more opportunity we have for gratefulness and love for His deep forgiveness. [Notice that] He doesn’t speak of the woman’s shame, only of her love”. Oh yes. Oh Father. You have forgiven me of so much. Yet you look on me with love. With joy! And You give me the opportunity to show Your amazing love to others. As I prepare to go to Honduras, Father, may I be a conduit of Your love.

2. Kristen says:

I’ve been saying this a lot. I want to see the depths of my sins, because then I see how desperately I needed a Savoir and need a Savior. If I compare myself, and think I’m not that bad, I’m like the Pharisee in the Bible that thanked God He wasn’t like the sinner me to him. However, that guy was pouring his sins out and crying to God. He wasn’t even lifting his head. Sin is sin to God, and I want to be like the man crying out and humbly seek Him.

I just heard my pastor say that seeking God is like playing hide and seek with a little child. You may say to the child,”I can’t find you.” They will say,”I’m behind the couch.” He said God wants us to seek Him, because He wants to be found.

3. Lauren Millen says:

“Your faith has saved you. Go in peace.” Luke 7:50 my favorite part. ♡

4. lesley says:

Hi Kim, I’m not with SRT, but thought I could try and help. The Auto-Ship Policies page says that “You may cancel your subscription at any time from your customer account page after you have received 3 or more shipments.”

Have you tried logging into your account and cancelling from there? Hope it gets sorted out soon. Hope your situation improves soon too.

5. Carmen Bennett says:

God, thank you so much for this word! I am struggling with fully forgiving my husband for infidelities in the marriage. I have stepped back from having a lot to say about the trust issues in my marriage because he usually turns things around on me. I have sort of given up but I have not given up on my faith in God as my redeemer! I love

6. Dorothy says:

Kathy as a nurse I have seen the struggles you and your sister are going through with your parents and I will be praying for both of you and your parents. I worked in a memory care unit and saw situations like yours.
    Courtney Peters I will be praying for you. And as suggested you might want to read the book Boundaries by John Townsend and Henry Cloud it’s on audio.
    Mari V I’ll be praying for your son and his friends.

7. Ashley White says:

❤️

8. Kim says:

This post has nothing to do with this lesson but sadly I am not getting any response from my emails, and I cannot find a phone number, since last week requesting that my auto ship be canceled immediately due to financial strain, can someone with SRT please help me? I’m in a bit of a panic as I don’t have the extras cash for this and need it resolved before another payment is taken. It’s really adding stress to an already stressful time. Many thanks! Kim

1. Ashley Thomas says:

I would try their Facebook page