O Come, True Wisdom

1 Kings 3:10-14, Luke 11:31, Matthew 13:10-17, Matthew 13:34-35, Mark 6:1-6, Colossians 2:2-3

BY Guest Writer

I picture the words dangling from my mouth, too far gone to reel them back in and impossible to brush them aside. I spit out the last word, face flushed and stomach clenched. It was a dumb thing to say, and I knew it the moment I started speaking. How I wished to be wiser, kinder, more like Jesus.

Some days it seems harder than others to be the person I’d like to be. On the road of sanctification, the path toward Christlikeness can feel more like a labyrinth than a four-lane highway. Have you ever sat with someone who seemed to radiate the love of God, where every encounter with them transformed your heart and they exuded a sense of heavenly wisdom?

At the heart of these transformed people is the wisdom of God. It’s more than just knowledge about the Lord. Like Moses, their faces seems to shine; a different kind of glow emanates from them (Exodus 34:29–35). They inspire us to a higher way of living. They show us that it’s possible to live out of our true identity as the redeemed people of God, citizens of the kingdom of heaven, right here and now.

From the beginning of time people have sought a source of wisdom. In the stars above and in pantheons of gods, civilization has searched for a guide. While men and women have long chased enlightenment, they’ve often looked for it in all the wrong places. Foolish gods, evil gods, weak gods—they just don’t measure up. Only the God of Abraham shows us perfect love, justice, and mercy.

But it’s not just ancient people who orient their lives by the wrong compass. Maybe we find ourselves putting more stock in the words of a morning talk show host than the words of the Bible. Or maybe we stop sharing our sorrows with God first and go straight to our friends for comfort. Of course, God can work through other people to speak to and comfort us, but we must discern if the counsel is coming from the well of everlasting life.

One incredible privilege as a follower of Jesus Christ is that we can have direct access to “all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge” (Colossians 2:3). We ought not be swayed from the true source of wisdom, tempted to seek out relationships and paths promising an easier, more comfortable road. By the power of His Spirit, God is continually making us wiser, more compassionate—more like Him. And He makes us this promise: “You will seek me and find me when you search for me with all your heart” (Jeremiah 29:13).

In this season of busyness and celebration, let us make room for Immanuel. Let us draw near to the Christ Jesus, the One who left heaven to be with us. He is the only wise God (Romans 16:27). Lord Jesus, open our eyes to see You, and bless our ears to hear from You.

Kaitie Stoddard is a professional counselor who recently relocated from Chicago to Colorado with her husband. She has her Master’s degree in Clinical Psychology and is passionate about helping couples and families find healing in their relationships. On any given weekend you’re likely to find Kaitie snowboarding in the Rocky Mountains, checking out new restaurants with friends, or catching up on her favorite Netflix and podcast series.

52 thoughts on "O Come, True Wisdom"

1. Tammy Clower says:

Ashley, I’ve been there. Praying for you this Christmas season. May you find peace and rest. You are not alone. Many teachers feel like you. I”m retired now but I remember. I pray that you will return to the classroom in January ready to love and teach the children that need you so much. I hope that you have colleagues that you can turn to as well.

2. Tina says:

1 Corinthians 13:11 says … When i was a child my speech, feelings, and thinking were all those of a child…’

What did I know as a child.. life was carefree and others, grown ups made decisions and most choices for me.. definitely no wisdom in those days of youngster-dom and freedom..

‘…now I have grown up, (I wish for but,) i have no use for childish ways..

Life and Experiences, some good, some bad, some ugly, some scarring the heart so deeply, some awesomely beautiful, some too painful to recall, some overwhelmingly wonderful… some…
    The list goes on..

But God…

He takes that list of stuff and works through each one, each experience, each life changing, each life enhancing, life blessing and brings us in His Grace, mercy and ever faithful love.. and says I will use these experiences for good.. these will be your guide your learning curve to and for wisdom..Nothing that hsppens to you will be wasted..Trust me..He says..
    This is the wisdom of God.. ‘We go through the good, the bad, the ugly to be refined.. to learn,to grow, to mature in wisdom into the people, Beloved, seen, known absolutely, by the God who loves us so!

God is good from the beginning of time He has been a God who delivers, who’s words are true and do not return void. They have impact..Praise God..

Blessings dear hearts..

3. Ashley says:

“Some days it seems harder than others to be the person I’d like to be.” —oh, how this sums up my past few months. I’ve struggled with loneliness and disappointment, and a deep sadness has welled up in my heart that I’ve not felt before. Also, as an elementary teacher, I’ve been having the most difficult year of my career. I’ve felt stressed and frustrated by student behaviors and school/district systems that are making it so difficult for me to do my job. I have so many students who I know are desperate for love, and I do so want to love them out of an overflow of God’s love for me, but I feel like I fail daily. It seems like some days I run out of grace by 9:00am. Plus, this week I’ve felt like I’m running on empty, even though I’m spending time in the Word and praying for God to fill me and use me for his glory every morning.
    I’m thankful that tomorrow marks the start of winter break. I’m praying God will use this time to refresh my soul and strengthen my spirit. I’m thankful that our merciful Savior extends his abundant compassion and everlasting love to me even when I’m at my worst. And I’m praying that the God of Wisdom will fill me with his wisdom to overflow.

4. Meg Herndon says:

❤️

5. Steph C says:

“In [Christ] are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge” (Colossians 2:3). So many times in my day I find myself wondering what to do. What is the best way to approach a person or a situation? Instead of stewing about it or becoming anxious I need to turn to Jesus for wisdom and learn to wait on His direction.

6. Jennifer Anapol says:

It’s so comforting to hear that I’m not the only Christian who sometimes doesn’t feel like I’m measuring up to where I want to be or where I think God would be calling me to be. I will choose to draw near to Jesus, who is the only one who can truly change me. I can’t muster up that type of change in myself.

7. Taelor says:

Brittany—That’s such good advice, and I’ve been there lately! Thank you for sharing!

8. Brittany says:

“we must discern if the counsel is coming from the well of everlasting life.”
    My Family is going through an incredibly tough season right now. We are all hurting, we are all sensitive, yet we are all trying to be there for one another (HARD). However, our own selfishness pokes it’s ugly head up every now and then. And, as an enneagram 2 (y’all it means something), I am constantly feeling the enemy whisper in my ear how I am not loved and cared for the way I tirelessly do for others. The other night, I was furious with my husband, but something inside me said “don’t”, so instead, I escaped to a TV show and he went to sleep. Which is very unusual for us, usually we hash out anything and everything before sleep, but both of us felt “don’t”. I thought the show would help me escape, but the Lord prompted me to get up. I started cleaning and praying and pleading. The Lord worked through the nastiness that was in MY heart and then my heart softened toward my husband. The next day I was able to calmly tell him what was hurting me without all the long list of wrongs he’d done, just simply putting what I need from him in this season. We laughed and smiled more than we have in the last 2 weeks. I am trying to be aware of spiritual warfare during this season, as so many are watching our family suffer, and though no one expects perfection, I want to come out of the other side be able to glorify God and say we suffered well, not perfect, but well.

1. Brittany Temple says:

❤️praying for you and your family